Photo
- - - - -

Quick To Understeer Then Oversteer, Normal?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

This is what I am running:

Front:
0.25mm toe out
0.6 deg neg camber
3.5 deg caster
Shocks - 6 Clicks

Rear:
1.5mm Toe in
2.5 deg neg camber
Shocks - 8 Clicks

I have Anti Roll bars front and back but currently cant find poundage information on them.

Heres a link to onf of my build posts with a link to the suggested setup from Zcars: Post #504

#62 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

This is what I am running:

Front:
0.25mm toe out
0.6 deg neg camber
3.5 deg caster
Shocks - 6 Clicks

Rear:
1.5mm Toe in
2.5 deg neg camber
Shocks - 8 Clicks

I have Anti Roll bars front and back but currently cant find poundage information on them.

Heres a link to onf of my build posts with a link to the suggested setup from Zcars: Post #504

interesting attachement.... i wonder why i was given the other settings from zcars... hmmmmmm
do you like they way yours handles?

#63 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

interesting attachement.... i wonder why i was given the other settings from zcars... hmmmmmm

The only negative thing I have to say about the handling on my car is that the big 60 profile Toyo Tire walls are too soft and give a lot of tyre roll and bounce in the tyre which will addressed when I wear the current tyres out. This in turn will lower the C of G of the car which will also help. Going to fit some Toyo R888 225/45s on the rear and some Yoko A048 175/50's on the front. Grip wise I cannot compain about the Toyos they have served me well.

The car does not like bumpy back roads and skips and jumps around at high speeds which can be disconcerting so I now only really use good 'A' roads for hooning it around on and bumpy 'B's' if I need to get somewhere and dont have a choice in the matter. I think some of this could be cured by using a suspension unit with seperate damping and rebound as I find on the lower settings (6 clicks) I get too much rebound but the damping is good and have had the car launch off a bump before changing the settings. So what I am trying to say by that is that the ride quality was good on 6 clicks, it didnt feel too solid/bumpy on the roads but if you happened across a big bump it would be soft taking up the bump but throw you in the air on the rebound stroke.

One thing is for certain they dont handle like an original mini which you could flick into any corner and pretty much survive everytime, any one expecting a Zcars mini to behave like an original will be severly dissapointed. In a Zcar mini its slow in, fast out, keeping the pedal constant through the longer corners (feeding it in if you know it'll take it) - or thats how I do it, others may have a different view on it.......

#64 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

The only negative thing I have to say about the handling on my car is that the big 60 profile Toyo Tire walls are too soft and give a lot of tyre roll and bounce in the tyre which will addressed when I wear the current tyres out. This in turn will lower the C of G of the car which will also help. Going to fit some Toyo R888 225/45s on the rear and some Yoko A048 175/50's on the front. Grip wise I cannot compain about the Toyos they have served me well.

The car does not like bumpy back roads and skips and jumps around at high speeds which can be disconcerting so I now only really use good 'A' roads for hooning it around on and bumpy 'B's' if I need to get somewhere and dont have a choice in the matter. I think some of this could be cured by using a suspension unit with seperate damping and rebound as I find on the lower settings (6 clicks) I get too much rebound but the damping is good and have had the car launch off a bump before changing the settings. So what I am trying to say by that is that the ride quality was good on 6 clicks, it didnt feel too solid/bumpy on the roads but if you happened across a big bump it would be soft taking up the bump but throw you in the air on the rebound stroke.

One thing is for certain they dont handle like an original mini which you could flick into any corner and pretty much survive everytime, any one expecting a Zcars mini to behave like an original will be severly dissapointed. In a Zcar mini its slow in, fast out, keeping the pedal constant through the longer corners (feeding it in if you know it'll take it) - or thats how I do it, others may have a different view on it.......

thanks for that andy, i wonder if zcars / proshock do upgraded dampers with rebound as a separate option?
i must say i hated back roads before due to the same feeling, but the "test circuit" i did, after the weekends playing , left me feeling much more confident. it was a mixture of backroads B and A with all sorts of tarmac qualities. i have very low tyre pressures still, 18 at the back which you could feel loading up around the corners but extra pressure should help that.

if you have toe out on the front that will make it do that also....(i think)

#65 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

One thing is for certain they dont handle like an original mini which you could flick into any corner and pretty much survive everytime, any one expecting a Zcars mini to behave like an original will be severly disappointed.

yeah i feel the same, the first drive i had out in it i was really pissed off. i though i had spent all that time and money and it wasn't like a mini at all, im coming around to it now though. i still shake like mad after every drive which i suppose is a good thing. :D

Edited by al_reidy, 12 July 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#66 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

yeah i feel the same, the first drive i had out in it i was really pissed off. i though i had spent all that time and money and it wasn't like a mini at all, im coming around to it now though. i still shake like mad after every drive which i suppose is a good thing. :D

Oh f##k yer!!! Its great for giving the adrenaline gland a good work out, defo makes you feel alive....... as the saying goes - 'If your not living on the edge you're taking up too much space'..........

Once I get my new tyres I will write up the differences on this thread.

Edited by cptkirk, 12 July 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#67 Shadyfox

Shadyfox

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: 103 Octanos.com

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Oh f##k yer!!! Its great for giving the adrenaline gland a good work out, defo makes you feel alive....... as the saying goes - 'If your not living on the edge you're taking up too much space'..........

Once I get my new tyres I will write up the differences on this thread.

has any one fitted anti roll bars?

Would be very inertesd in the before and after effects as I have to have the shocks wound up to stop the roll?

Thanks
Tim

#68 drayton min man

drayton min man

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi Andy

Are the figures you have quoted for total toe and not per side?

Geoff

#69 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

has any one fitted anti roll bars?

Would be very inertesd in the before and after effects as I have to have the shocks wound up to stop the roll?

Thanks
Tim

I have them fitted but not retro fitted so dont know before and after, it sits pretty flat in the corners.

#70 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hi Andy

Are the figures you have quoted for total toe and not per side?

Geoff

I believe they are each side, not total. To be fair the toe on the fronts is negligible and might as well be parallel, the guys that did it had the super dooper laser setup thingy, hence the accuracy.

#71 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

i wonder if zcars / proshock do upgraded dampers with rebound as a separate option?

Yes they do now: CLICK ME

#72 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

Is the front anti-roll bar a Z-Cars optional extra?

#73 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

Is the front anti-roll bar a Z-Cars optional extra?

Unsure Pete, the lugs/brackets to mount mine were incorporated into the fame. I am sure you could get some mounts made to fit a frame without mounting lugs/brackets. As Chris A at Z's will tell you - anything is possible, you just have to pay for it........

heres what pictures I can find of mine that might help if anyone wanted to see how they fit to the car or are considering fabricating their own:

You'll have to save as locally and then zoom in to view this front mount.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My new mounts for the drop links

Posted Image

Rears

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cptkirk, 14 July 2011 - 07:28 AM.

#74 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the photos. They are really helpful. You have the later type front subframe with the shocks across the back. I have an early type with the shocks along the top of the sides of the frame so its a bit difficult to see where I could get an anti-roll bar in. Will have to have a think about it.

#75 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

i wonder if zcars / proshock do upgraded dampers with rebound as a separate option?

Yes they do now: CLICK ME

Just as an extra note on that, my kit came with "5 Star Shocks". Their website is under construction, but they are available here. Maybe worth a phone call to see if they can also supply shocks with seperate rebound/compression. Strange thing is they have similar model number to the protech ones, and also made in Wiltshire. Have they changed name or the same company? (The address is different)

Also Ive seen mentioned on here that the ride height is set by adjusting the pushrods, not the spring platform (as I would have thought as it seems logical the platform would move the spring up and down and affect ride height) If the pushrods change height and the damper makes it stiffer/harder what does adjusting the spring platform do? Just wondering how relevant it is to set up as I cant drive it to find out at the moment.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users