Photo
- - - - -

Quick To Understeer Then Oversteer, Normal?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#106 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

That sounds to me like something was loose.

Can I ask what size spacer you're using? Any chance of putting up a photo of what your using?

If its of any use to you my spacer setup is on pg 36 of my build diary, theres some more write up about it in later posts

Edited by cptkirk, 28 May 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#107 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

The parts I used from from the "bump steer" topic:

Think I have sorted the bump steer now. As suggested I changed track rod ends and added a35mm spacer to make the arms level.

These are all the parts I used if anyone else needs them.

Spacer

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

Rose Joint

Bolt

Missalignment spacer

Nut

It did feel like something was loose but everything seem ok. Looking at that the spacer was 42mm + ~5mm for the misalignment spacer. This got the rack parallel to the lower wishbone. Reading it again I guess I need to cut the spacer down so it's 35mm, including the misalignment one.

What size spacer have you used?

#108 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I had a bit of 3/4" (19mm) stainless hex machined down so it had a flat edge to sit against the underside of the steering arm and an angled edge with a suitabe flat to sit against the flat of the rose joint ball. This was all in an effort to ensure that the assembly wouldnt be able to 'topple' at the connection points. 30mm seems to work ok on mine and looking at the spacer on ebay it would only need one end turning down. I guess try 35mm and see how it works out.

Post 547 in my build diary shows exactly what I have on mine.

#109 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Guys. Look seriously at this problem. please.

straight road. car running well. until i accelerated with slight pace. 360 spin , lamppost. pain.
Posted ImagePosted Imagehttp://alreidy.dyndns.org/ouch/1.jpgPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#110 SimonWicklow

SimonWicklow

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Holy crap any idea what caused it?
any injuries?

#111 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

That road looks dreadful and it's wet but your car should be controllable in any event, apart from Chris (ZCars) who has manage to sort his own car everyone else seems to be struggling to get a good setup. I don't know if this has much to do with the front suspension, I would have thought it was more to do with a large tall powerful engine in a short wheelbase car. This is not criticism in any way just an observation of these cars overall

David

Edited by R1mini, 24 June 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#112 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

Holy crap any idea what caused it?
any injuries?

No injuries which is the best news.

At the moment i have no idea, the road you see the car on is not the road it happened on, it slid about 50 yards after loosing a wheel.
My first guess is that i corrected a tail wiggle on acceleration from 30mph zone to 60 to join the motorway, this being a motorway slid road and perfectly straight with no pot holes. overcorrecting the slide and threw me over a curb, into a lamppost and lost the wheel.
The bit that i don't get is why the wheel did what it did. the lamppost has no damage other than a slight graze. which thinking about it now is probably the boot lid popping off from the curb shock.
it feels almost like the wheel might have given up on the road and caused the slide in the first place. either way I'm not getting back in a rear wheel drive mini again, i have had too many scares to trust them again.
i hope its written off and crushed, even if that does mean i will loose about £15k.

#113 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Crikey. That looks terrible. Glad no one was hurt. If so many people are having handling issues with Z-Cars conversions, maybe it should be something they look into, especially if this is (quite an extreme) consequence.

it feels almost like the wheel might have given up on the road and caused the slide in the first place. either way I'm not getting back in a rear wheel drive mini again, i have had too many scares to trust them again.
i hope its written off and crushed, even if that does mean i will loose about £15k.

Shame about that but I'd be the same if I was in your position.

Edited by kcchan, 25 June 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#114 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

this is the road a few hours later.
Posted Image

#115 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

If you had lost your wheel before hitting the kerb/lamp post there would be something to show that on the main road perhaps, either way not good, the most important thing is that you didn't hit the lamp post square on other wise it could of been a very different story

David

#116 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

If you had lost your wheel before hitting the kerb/lamp post there would be something to show that on the main road perhaps, either way not good, the most important thing is that you didn't hit the lamp post square on other wise it could of been a very different story

David

i was thinking it could have fatigued and split loosing pressure in the tyre so when it hit the curb it exploded into pieces. ?

#117 digler

digler

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

my mate had a wheel split in half like that a few years ago in a standard mini with 13" wheels on, looks just like yours does.

#118 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Wow Al, gutted for you mate, after all that hard work. I can understand your frustration and had that happen to me I'd probably feel the same way about the car. Glad to hear your OK and no-one got hurt, in your car or another.

You might be better off selling the parts to get some money back if your serious about not getting it fixed.

#119 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

written off by zcars / insurance company.

cat d. so it will probably pop itself on an auction site soon. not by me though.

#120 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Thats a real shame, although reading your previous post that is the result you kind of wanted? So do you get back what you insured it for, or does the insurance company try and work out what its worth? (Not quite sure how they could do that with the type of car it is!) Hope you get at least most of what it cost to build you back,

So whats the new Mini in your signature pic then? The next project?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users