3 replies to this topic

#1 Roxoff

Roxoff

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:54 AM

I had cause to use the horn on my mini the other day (dont want anyone in a nasty big fiesta hurting her) and it sounded like I was leaning out the window blowing a kazoo! This is not the sound you want when you're trying to give the impression that you have a mean motor, so I'd really like to change it.

Now, I know I could just get a piece of tissue paper and a comb for a louder sound, but I'd like to replace it with something that makes people think they've just ignored a Land Cruiser or a Range Rover. Can I just pop down the scrappy and recycle a two-tone horn from an old Granada or Cavalier? Or is it more complicated than that? Are there voltages and relay issues that I couldn't possibly comprehend (I'm definitely no electrician)?

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:18 PM

Somewhere along the line BMC/BL/Rover changed the way horns were wired so I can't completely answer your question. However, you can make just bout any 12v horn work (virtually any car... skip truck horns) if you have room to mount it. It's always a good idea to add a relay. My Triumph had a horn relay from the start. My Mini didn't and the horn wiring was clearly overheated and the pushbutton itself was mildly damaged. I use the ISO relays made popular by Bosch. These can handle 30 Amps and are readily available at parts stores.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:01 PM

get a big set of air horns :grin:

#4 thatluke

thatluke

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

The thing with getting air horns off a truck such as a skip-truck is that most trucks run on a 24v system for the power - whether it is regulated for the horn or not is another thing, but be careful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users