12 replies to this topic

#1 bradsarcher

bradsarcher

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

have seen a few minis with the rear of the bonnet raised for cooling, think this looks cool any one no how they did it?

cheers guys pics would be cool

Brad

#2 imaparana

imaparana

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

this is just a guesss but i think they use bonnet pins and then and the locking pin bit higher
dont take my word for it just a guess

#3 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

Use bonnet pins, have the pin set to stick out a goood inch or two and use some hose pipe over the pins to make the bonnet sit at the correct level for the pins to locate in the holes. No point in doing it unless you run a pretty lairy engine.

#4 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

Mine was just done using bonnet pins. I don't like how it looks but it did run a little cooler with it raised.

You could just make a small flat bracket too fit between the hinge and bonnet. Although this can mean the bonnet won't open fully and hit the wipers.

There was another thread on this a little while ago, have a search there was quite a bit of inof on there.

#5 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

i done mine before by using some steel brackets

#6 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

it is unfortunately a misconception that this aids cooling. It mkes no diffrence as the air in that region of the windsheild stalls. (wind tunnel experiment.)

#7 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

mine had it when i first got it. all they had done was put a steel bracket in between the hinge and the bonnet to raise it by 1", then bent the bonnet out (i would guess) so that it still aligned up with the bonnet release catch at the front. looked ok as far as i remember, dont know why i took it off so quickly, though it wasnt really the look i was going for. was a loooong time ago though :wub:

Posted Image

original pic from ebay ad, so bit of a crap picture unfortunately.

#8 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: WSMOC, LSMOC

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

I have done this to my Stage 4 Mpi as I though it would help with cooling but as Pitcrew6464 says it made no difference. Still I think it looks pretty good and I get a lot of people come over as they think im running an alternative engine :wub:

It is very easy to do though, just fit the bonnet pins and as was said earlier raise the back ones and place silicon pipe over them to hold the bonnet up, here are a couple of pics of mine.

Dan

#9 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

Youcould do with the original hinges, if you dont want bonnet pins, just fitting the inner bolt upon the hinge and not inside it. I guess 'scoticus' on here did that aswell.

Edited by jaydee, 07 November 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#10 Abs

Abs

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local Club: 16vmini

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Youcould do with the original hinges, if you dont want bonnet pins, just fitting the inner bolt upon the hinge and not inside it. I guess 'scoticus' on here did that aswell.

I have done what is mentioned above, but I have front bonnet pins. I can say it definately helps with cooling, my brake servo over heats when driving hard on the twisties causing brake failure. With the back of the bonnet up I have no problems.

#11 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

it is unfortunately a misconception that this aids cooling. It mkes no diffrence as the air in that region of the windsheild stalls. (wind tunnel experiment.)

I'd be interested too see the results of that, is there a report on the findings anywhere? Who did the testing?

The reason I ask is that my car started too get warm on a motorway club run. At a stop I raised the rear pins and for the rest of the run the car ran around 5 degrees cooler.

We drove in the same manor and speed and the weather stayed the same all day. The only thing changed was the bonnet.

#12 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

mine had it when i first got it. all they had done was put a steel bracket in between the hinge and the bonnet to raise it by 1", then bent the bonnet out (i would guess) so that it still aligned up with the bonnet release catch at the front. looked ok as far as i remember, dont know why i took it off so quickly, though it wasnt really the look i was going for. was a loooong time ago though :P

Posted Image

original pic from ebay ad, so bit of a crap picture unfortunately.

Thats exactly how my step dad did it to his 1380 cooper :)

#13 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

I'd be interested too see the results of that, is there a report on the findings anywhere? Who did the testing?

The reason I ask is that my car started too get warm on a motorway club run. At a stop I raised the rear pins and for the rest of the run the car ran around 5 degrees cooler.

We drove in the same manor and speed and the weather stayed the same all day. The only thing changed was the bonnet.

buy a copy of Racecar Engineering, november issue >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users