#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

Good question, depends what you prime it with. If you use engine oil then it will drain out starting the moment you bolt the pump up. If you use vasaline or other jelly type priming agents as some builders sugest, then it will stay in there until the pump starts pumping and oil passes thru.

If you've replaced the oil pump, the best thing to do is turn the engine over by hand several times to get plenty of oil into the system before you fire it up.

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

Use the assembly lubes and avoid grease and vaseline.

I know that vaseline in particular has been used by some people for years. However, I have an email acquaintance who used "too much" vaseline when he installed his pump and the stuff completely plugged his new oil filter. He had to change it twice before he felt safe starting the engine after its rebuild.

The assembly lube will be sufficient and should stay for a few days.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:20 PM

I find good old fashoined engine oil will stay in there for ages, as long as you do actually prim the pump properly, ie fill, turn abit, fill a bit more etc, untill all the lobes are pumping..

but I do fill from the oil take off down aswell when checking the engine, and also check for oil pressure using a guage and turning over on the starter motor before actually firing the engine for the first time...

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:45 PM

Before starting the engine, remove the plugs, disconect the coil so you dont shock yourself and turn the engine over on the starter until oil pressure is registered. This is as good as turning it over by hand but much quicker :cheese:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users