#1 MattKirton

MattKirton

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:54 AM

Hello,

when i turn the key the ignition light comes on but any further than that nothing happens. the lights work fine so i am quite sure it is not the battery. there is pertol in the tank aswell.

what should i try?

thanks.

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

do you hear a clicking noise from the engine bay? if so the get a new starter solenoid!

#3 MattKirton

MattKirton

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:00 AM

No there is no clicking noise. There is nothing to be honest. I have had a bit of trouble with the points recently so i have been in the distributor a bit of late...?

#4 MattKirton

MattKirton

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:01 AM

thanks for your speedy reply. The same problem happened yesterday, but after a while it just started turning over, it ran really badly however so i had to stop, now it wont start again.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:06 AM

As MMJ says, if there is no click, then it's the starter solenoid, what sort of starter has your mini got, ie is there a square block on the inner wind which the main power from the battery is connected, or is it connected to a cylindrical thing on top of the starter ( left hand side of engine )

If the latter, then there is a relay which is tripped when you try and start the car, this controls the higher power required by the pre-engaged starter solenoid.

Both ways you need to make sure that 12v is being supplied to the solenoid, and onward to the motor..

#6 MattKirton

MattKirton

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:41 AM

i am not completely sure but i think it is the later. it is a 1989 mayfair 998cc. I am relatively new to this so apologise for the bit of non-understanding.

thanks for your replies

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

does the ignition light go out when you turn the key to the cranking position?

#8 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:41 PM

i am not completely sure but i think it is the later. it is a 1989 mayfair 998cc. I am relatively new to this so apologise for the bit of non-understanding.

thanks for your replies

In that case it's the later. The solenoid is a small cylinder that sits on top of a large cylinder (the starter motor) at the front of the engine, to the left hand side when you're looking at it, further down than the coil.

#9 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

Silly question but have you checked the fuse in the main 4 block fuse box??

I think it is fuse two. Mine blew the other day and it had the same symptoms as you are describing

Might be completely wrong though>

#10 MattKirton

MattKirton

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 02:01 PM

The light does come on when the key is turned. Thanks for your replies, keep them coming, im going to go check the fuses...keep you all updated.

#11 MINI-GEM

MINI-GEM

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

this happened to me not so long ago, all it was was a loose connection on the starter, disconnect all the wires from the starter motor one by one and put them back on again, mine worked again instantly, try it, no harm if it doesnt work just one less thing eliminated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users