Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Ok this didn't quite go as planned earlier

I'm taking the mini to Germany tomorrow so took it out for a short little test drive just to make sure everything was running fine, it felt a bit down on power, not a huge amount but enough to notice, one thing I did notice was the popping and spitting off throttle was back, so brought it back home and started checking over, found a leak in the exhaust at the clamp holding the middle silencer, tried to tighten it up and up and up and snap - bolt broke, nice

Gonna weld up that join section as these clamps are cack so front end and front bar off and here we go again...

Posted Image

But I ran out of time so had to down tools and go work, got same again today so I HAVE to now do everything before I go work as when I get back it'll be too late to play with any tools and I still need to pack the car etc etc and I'm meeting the others a few hours after I get back from work so looks like its gonna be another all-nighter!

Not what I wanted right now :(

#977 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

im jelous of the k20 and its standard street sleeper look.

* ebays b16 turbo*
^ ^

#978 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

Best of luck Kam! Plenty of pics and vids I hope!

#979 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Once again I end up doing an all-nighter before a run! Got back from work just after midnight and straight on the car as I was meeting the others at 7am, tried my best to muffle up the sound of welding but alas no...woke up a neighbour - not good!

Couldn't really fire her up to check so had to leave it as it was and hope the exhaust leak had gone, spent a couple of hours doing other stuff and then started to pack the car up about 4am then couldn't find my passport! Wasted an hour and half finding that......not good, quick wash up and I'm ready to roll

Posted Image

On the way down I could tell the exhaust was still leaking as when it got warm it started popping and spitting and felt generally down on power, nothing I could do, sort it out when I get back - if I get back!

Got to buckmore park and we did a parade lap, mini on a go-kart track? huge thanks to Matt for arranging that, then onto the road we go

Posted Image

I still wasn't happy with the exhaust leak but end of the day I somehow managed to make the start of the run and wanted to finish it

I lost my indicators about an hour from the campsite in rush hour traffic on the motorway - not good! I was in a convoy with Ben and Howard and we pulled off the front end roadside to double check stuff, the phone cameras being pulled out by the rush hour traffic crew was funny...

Made it to the campsite, cheers guys :thumbsup:

I'm just gonna chuck the photos in as and when and in no order, vids are still uploading but I didn't take as many as I thought so heres the usual point n shoot stuff

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No'1!

Posted Image

This is not me :whistling:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sightseeing at Ad-forst

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#980 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

"Stephen hawking shot" :whistling:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Went to the wolf place blah blah blah

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took the Rio-tec out for its pilot lap, just nursed it round with a passenger as she had never been there before, on the way back to the campsite I could hear/feel and rumble, was hard to place as its only sounded up at 60+ but back at the campsite the wheel bearing was looking like the culprit so off it came to inspect

Posted Image

All fine from what I could see, no one had a spare set and the local motors couldn't order one till monday, so I called up Achim (ringmini) and popped round his house with Mike in the mx-5 :teehee: as he had a new bearing waiting for us, saw the infamous 'ringmini' and had a little chat with him about all things mini, he also threw in some words about LPG, b20 and AWD in amongst his other minis, top guy! :mrcool:

Posted Image

New bearing on but still no change...took it out the next day for another spin and all seemed fine??? Did quite a few miles that day and still nowt???

Anyway, got myself a kinder surprise and duly chucked the toy on the mirror to cheer me up!

Posted Image

It worked :D

Took it out for another lap with a 998 in tow for some sightseeing and to welcome him to the track

Stickering up pistenklause

Posted Image

On the way back to the ferry I was in a three car convoy and was chuffed to be running with this 998

Posted Image

Its Charlies old mini that he's taken to the 'ring before and also done the 2010 mongol rally in, now Mike has also added another 'ring run to it, what a trooper 998 :mrcool:

Back home

Posted Image

Car made it there and made it back, only two laps done but wasn't too bothered about that, other vids will upload when I got time, no lap vids though as first was a tester and second was with a 998 following who had never been round before so kept him in view

All in all another top trip, good to put some more faces to the names and what a crowd :mrcool:

Now I can pull the exhaust off and weld up at my pleasure not at silly o'clock worrying about neighbours , got to sort to out a few more things, can't make castle combe so not sure what the next visit will be, but I do have one lap left on my card...

#981 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

That was one good update Kam I can't wate do do trips like that it's a shame you can't do castle coomb I'm going to that as its just over an houre away would loved to have seen this car in the flesh

#982 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

i dont live far from there might have to take my mini there when im done id like to see kams beast too

#983 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Took it to the rolling road today, me and rolling roads are never a simple straightforward thing and guess what......today was no different!

Had an exhaust leak which I found to be a couple of pinholes where I had welded the middle silencer on, welded them up and took it out for a spin and it was running good again, picking up really well

My cams needed setting at the rollers but I didn't have a degree wheel here so thanks to a fellow 16 valver I printed one off and was ready to roll

Posted Image

Got to the rollers and front end off so rocker cover can be pulled off

Posted Image

Steve setting up whats needed on the cams and pulleys

Posted Image

He was having a chuckle at how far out my cams where, he asked who put them in and degreed them, I said me and I just threw them in! Well what do you expect from me? :lol: Told him the car pulls well, he said its gonna pull alot better now! :lol:

After some tuning we heard a bang, rear silencer had fallen off! :o

Posted Image

The uprated rubber mounts had ripped as they were being stretched a tad, no time to worry about that now, luckily theres a flexi along there otherwise there would've been alot of stress on the front section and probably cracked it - anyway its got a flexi so we carried on :whistling:

After some more tuning and another couple of runs we went for the main one...

Posted Image

200hp and 144mph with 148ft lbs :thumbsup:

He said it can make more with some more playing about as theres plenty there but I was happy with that, also this was on 95 fuel, he said run super from now on...

After some kerfuffle I made it home with some dodgy DIY blue peter exhaust fixing, unfortunately I couldn't boot it as it as the exhaust was banging like a biaatch but I can tell you one thing - its very willing now

Well chuffed :mrcool: :mrcool: :mrcool:

Heres the full spec of the car

Engine:

B20b with standard 84x89 bore/stroke and standard crank with no crank girdle
Standard con rod (not shot peened) with ARP bolts
ACL race main and rod bearings
RS machines ITR domed pistons (standard 84mm bore)
Bottom end put together by DNR
2.5" exhaust
ARP head studs
ITR head (no work)
Buddyclub spec III cams
Buddyclub double valve springs
Standard ITR valves and retainers
Redline 8600rpm, rev limit set at 8000rpm as thats where my standard mini rev counter finishes! :lol:
Head built by yours truly

Drivetrain:

Standard Y21 box with watsons 3.4 final drive
ACT lightweight flyweel
Stage 4 competition clutch (paddle)
AP 14mm master cylinder
B&Q bolt to limit clutch pedal movement!

Suspension:

Minispares donuts (red dots)
Hi los
Gaz shocks

Interior:

See Rover!

Wheels/tyres:

Rovers finest steel wheels wrapped with some 165/12's

Next job - fix the exhaust and grab a trackday somewhere, if the engine blows up tomorrow I don't care, job done :thumbsup:

#984 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

im sure you couldn't be more pleased with those results, real shame about castle combe though as i was going to try and find you, its also going to be my first time on the track with my 1340 engine :D

#985 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Quality, should be a wild one when the noise pedal is pressed. Come up to knockhill for a spin, great racetrack :D

Love the car Kam, top work

Kieran

#986 ministar

ministar

you ate the whole wheel of cheese?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

200!!! O_O

Good stuff Kam!

#987 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Wow awesome mini. How have I never seen this build on here before.

#988 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

any updates ?

#989 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Sorry mate no update as I've not been around the mini for a while, been getting occupied with other things

I want to get back on it though, getting frustrated when I see another one out on the road... :(

#990 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Love this car, a super stealth, fantastic!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users