6 replies to this topic

#1 CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:34 AM

Guys, my 1998 Cooper has decided to not give out any heat from the heater.

Now Ive looked around the engine bay and cant work out where the heater cable inside the car actually goes to (you know, the bit you pull out).

Any suggestions, as its starting to get cold in the mornings and the misses is already moaning that she is cold on the way to work...

What should I be looking for to fix it?

#2 Roxoff

Roxoff

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:50 AM

The heater cable connects (depending on model) to a valve at the front passenger side of the engine, above the water pump. On later cars the valve isn't connected to the engine, on earlier ones it is.

The cable link on mine needed adjusting when I first got it (the heater was permanently on) but was easily fixed.

#3 CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:21 AM

On earlier models, I know the valve you are talking about - but on the MPi models this isnt there!

The old valve just used to need pulling out and wd40'ing but on the newer models Im stuck?

Anybody????

#4 dodgy_rider

dodgy_rider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hey if you find out let me know mine dont seem to know what it's doing I've just been wearing a big coat lol

#5 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

Click
Try this.

It might help

#6 CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:24 AM

Didnt think of a blockage.

I'll have to give that a go then, take the heater out and flush the matrix.

#7 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

on a mpi the valve is on the inlet pipe which can be seen if you open the passangers side door and look level with the heater. If you now pull the heater switch out to open it and then close it again etc you should see it moving. if not the valve is jammed/cable stock so check the valve and cable out.

now if you have made sure that the valve is working make sure its open and if you have never had you rad flushed now is a good time to do so. (i fush my rad at least every 2 years buut i am to do it before each summer and i also leave the heater valve open even in the middle of summer as it stops the heater silting up and blocking)

if anybosy has never flushed out their coolant system and would like to know how to let me know and ill post how to, as i dont want to teach you how to suck eggs if you already know.

Karl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users