#1 TNT

TNT

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Local Club: TMF of course

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

me and a mate have decided to take the engine out next week, and while its out its going to have a camplete overhaul.
what i wanted to know is:
will it be easy to 'bore-out'?
or is there any other way of getting more speed (it already has stage one)
shall i just put in a stage 2?

#2 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:40 PM

Boring out an engine is not something that can be done yourself, ideally it should be done by a speciallist Mini garage or engineering workshop that knows what they are doing. It means the cylinders will look visually closer together (when you look down on the block from above.

I'm not sure about a 998 but the largest pistons you can put on a 1275 are 73.5mm which means the engine will have a capacity of 1380cc. If a further increase is required the use of a long stroke crank can increase this further to 1460cc, but it is often easier to obtain a short engine in this spec that already includes a crank, pistons and the correct bore.

There are certainly better ways of getting more speed for less money and you can effectively double the power of a standard 998 without a bore-out.

You could fit a modified cylinder head, but most of these are for 1275cc engines and a 998 block would need pocketing (grooves made to accomodate larger valves)

Whatever you decide to do its best to speak to the professionals before you buy anything just to check that it is suitable for your application. :)

Hope I have been of help

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:51 PM

To be honest if it's an engine out, then the cheapest and quickest way to increase power is to drop a 1275 unit back in...

If you are keeping with the 998, then the small bore is very responsive to a cam change, even something like a std MG Metro item or a mild kent, 266, 276 makes and improvement for not many pennies.

Going on from that, as above, head mods are next, but can bump the price... A bore can be done for about 100 notes ( if you include dips etc ) but you will be need new pistons which does bump the price a bit, but on the other hand, there is no subsitute for cubes.

Tuning small bores, can be very expensive pound for horse, as it were, and would probably upset mr insurance more than putting in the 1275.... then the world is your oyster !

#4 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

there is no replacement for displacement :)

#5 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

drop a 1275 unit back in...

Its true! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users