#1 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hi all

Well i thought it was about time I put up some details of my new project. i have bought an Ex-steve harris hill climb car. It competed at the gurston hillclimb in 1994 and won the championship. it was then sold and came to jersey in 1997

here it is on the Bouley Bay
Posted Image

And here it is at a local mini show (can any one tell me what carbs are fitted?)
Posted Image

I will be making various changes to the car so I can compete in Jersey's 2 day Tarmac rally, the car is fitted with a Harris Motorsports engine which i have removed from the car along with the fron subframe. The engine and gearbox will be sent back to Steve Harris for a full rebuild.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will be making some upgrades like mappable igintion, alloy raditor, fully ajustable fron suspension, Spax motosport shocks, full multi-point cage, front and rear subframes to be gusseted and welded, heated front screen and a few other bits :(

Any way this weekend i started to clean up the front floor pan (as it seems either the clutch or brake master clyender was leaking), so i used an angle grinder with a twisted wire brush to strip back the paint, i also removed all of the metal tags which use to hold the wire loom in place.

Front floor pan cleaned up and in primer
Posted Image

Posted Image

I was no too happy with the weber box which was installed (a home made job) so I decided to rip it out, once i had drilled out the rivets which held on the diamond plate, i could then start to remove the weber box. i though I would have to use an angle grinder, but it was only held in place with 4 large rivets :), so the bulkhead was no way sealed from fulids.

Old weber box removed, no idea why there is a fiber glass patch??
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What i'm thinking about now is whether it fit another weber box, or to construct a miglia style bulkhead?? any one done this conversion before.

Any way thats about it for now.

Let me know what you think, on my new project.

Cheers

Kevin

#2 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

do the miglia bulkhead box :( can be a pit of a pain to construct if you dont think about it.

Posted Image

i didnt quite think about it enough though and not a huge amount of space behind the webber...bonus tho plenty space for my mappable ignition :)

#3 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:37 PM

Posted Image

Mmm ... negative camber ... :( ... I've just got some of that ...

Attached File  GEDC1273_copy.jpg   75.24K   38 downloads

#4 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

do the miglia bulkhead box :( can be a pit of a pain to construct if you dont think about it.

Posted Image

i didnt quite think about it enough though and not a huge amount of space behind the webber...bonus tho plenty space for my mappable ignition :)

cheers for that, i think I will go for it as it seems to make a lot of extra room :wub:

i see that u are using a KAD bias pedal box, what do you think of this unit, as I'm thinking of getting one!

Cheers

#5 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

Mmm ... negative camber ... :( ... I've just got some of that ...

Attached File  GEDC1273_copy.jpg   75.24K   38 downloads

Ouch :)

#6 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:17 PM

like i said, you wil have more space as me, i was worried i wouldnt have enough space behind the dash...i didnt have the dash to measure at the time too so i played it cautious...too much so in the end.

the KAD box is good, however iv never used the car without it, nor have i adjusted it so cant say for sure

#7 Tim1970

Tim1970

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

Gorgeous car there.
Best of luck with the project should be awesome.
With regards to the carbs in the picture looks like twin SU's on a weber styled manifold.
Theres a picture of the set up like this on page 155 in Vizard.
Will be keeping an eye on this one.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:12 AM

Do you have the carbs? They look like twin HIF4s on a Janspeed manifold as said above.

#9 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

Do you have the carbs? They look like twin HIF4s on a Janspeed manifold as said above.

:( unfortunaly those original SU carbs were removed and sold :) So at present it is fitted with a Weber 45, but I would like to maybe refit a set of twin su carbs on a weber inlet manifold (i did check out page 155 in the vizard book)

Does any run with a similar set up of twin SU carbs??

I will be at my Garage tonight so expect a few more pictures

Many thanks

Kevin

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

That carb set up is hard to come by and hence commands good money when/if you find one!

I could sell you a pair of twin HIF4 carbs but not the manifold.

#11 Dolts

Dolts

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Is that colour Java green? if so ive definately got my colour sorted!

#12 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

Is that colour Java green? if so ive definately got my colour sorted!

Yup you got it in one, Java Green it is!

Started to cut out the bulkhead last night, so I can make a start on the miglia style bulkhead over the next couple of days.

Also measured up the front subframe to ensure that it was straight (which it was) so I can start to clean that up and get it ready for welding and gussets :thumbsup: Took out the internal fuel line as I dont like it running along the passager side, so that will be getting replaced and run along the centre of the car.

Should be picking up the multi point roll cage soon as well.

More pictures to come

Cheers

Kevin

#13 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

Looking forward to seeing more of this one,if its any help i can measure up my bulkhead box as it has room for a weber on a long inlet and a miglia air box.

Cheers Ross.

#14 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

Looking forward to seeing more of this one,if its any help i can measure up my bulkhead box as it has room for a weber on a long inlet and a miglia air box.

Cheers Ross.

Hi Ross

Thanks for that, if you could let me know the measurments and any pictures of your bulkhead box would also be of a great help.

Cheers
Kevin

#15 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

No problem,I should be in the garage tomorrow night so il get it measured up for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users