16 replies to this topic

#1 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hallo, after having two mechanics look at my other half's Corsa and not being able to definately diagnose the problem I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has had a similar problem to this and if they know what was wrong...

Basically when you set off and turn at the same time, left or right, there is a clunk which is fairly big which you can feel too, coming from what feels like the drivers side wheel. Sometimes it clunks along maybe 3 or 4 times as if something has worn and is knocking.

We had it looked at by a garage daaarn saaath (not a very good Cornish impression) who said it was some sort of bearing right above the drivers wheel, at the top of the strut. We can't be more specific than "some sort of bearing" because t'was my other half who took it, and she's female. :thumbsup: *hides*

So it's been like this a good six months and it's got worse lately so today I had some guys at Hi-Q check it out while I was there getting some tyres. They looked, found the passenger side CV gaitor had come loose (obviously wasnt that) but because it is intermittent, couldnt diagnose the problem.

Took the car to my local Mini garage and he had a good look at everything, said there was no problems with the track rod ends, CV joints etc. He couldnt say for definate what it was, but advised that the steering arm on the driver side is worn and will need changing at some point soon - but couldnt say whether that's making this noise. Other than that he suggested it might be the suspension bush unit at the top of the strut. But couldn't say for definate :- . There is no play in the wheel and we've just changed the brake discs/pads so it's nothing like that.

So basically I dont want to fork out £150 on the steering arm and suspension bush thingy to find the clunk is still there. Like I say it's intermittent but usually happens from cold for some reason. It's an 05 plate Corsa "C", I've had a quick google and can't find much on there.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or could anyone give me a clue as to what else it could be?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by yorkshirechris, 01 December 2009 - 03:01 PM.

#2 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

Had a similar problem on my old 106 GTi - would make a clunking and creaking at various times.

Not encountered a corsa so cannot guarantee there is a bearing there but it sounds like a good possibility if everything else has been checked and found ok.

#3 pantera2075

pantera2075

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

Last time I had something similar (On a Nissan) it was the diff. Check g/box oil level. If it's very low yr diff is likely goosed.

#4 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Any idea how to check the gearbox oil level on a corsa? :-

It's a very DIY unfriendly car - to top up the brake fluid you have to remove a piece of trim from where the windscreen wipers are!!

#5 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

If you have looked under the arches I assume you have checked the actual springs but my mates corsa has broken both front springs, apparently common problem/fault but not according to vauxhall!

#6 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

Sounds like either the top mount on the strut is clunking, or there's a balljoint gone/going on it. Jack wheel up, secure, grab wheel with hands at 2 O'clock and 8 O'clock, shake, rattle and roll.

You should be able to see movement if it's clunking. If they've diagnosed the top mount, you should be able to see it moving a little. There may be signs of the rubber section of it breaking up.

If the CV boot is loose, it could've dumped its grease, dried out, worn, started to click. Does it do it more on full-lock?

And is it like a clicky "clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk", or just a single "clunk" as you set off?

#7 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

Matt,

There is no play in the wheels at all.

It didn't make the noise at all yesterday apart from when I set off from freezing cold in the morning. This morning, it did it when I set off to work, then after being stood for 10 hours did it again tonight ;)

It doesn't do it more on full lock, no. It's a clunky clunk clunk, as if something is knocking whilst turning, not just a single clunk.

#8 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Check the brake pads, they could be sticking or possibly the wire clip that holds them in place has become dislodged, are you sure it comes from the front? I've seen many vauxhalls of that age have sticking brake shoes when left when the weather has been damp.

#9 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

if it is a clunk clunk clunk while turning then i would suspect a spring may be broken, unless you look right up inside the turret you might not see.

#10 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

I think it might be the drive shaft worn its the side they go on that model

#11 2lrminivan

2lrminivan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

does it sound like a metal click/clunk or plastis/rubber click/clunk.
you could try spraying wd40 on the shock mount under the bonnet to see if its the rubber rubbing on the top and vibrating throught the car.
if it has a big nut under the bonnet you could check to make sure its tight

#12 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

It sounds like a metal clunk. But doesn't do it when you've driven for a bit, not usually anyway. It's definately not the rubber seal on top of the shock mount, and the nut is tight.

It sounds like a bigger problem than WD40 can solve put it that way!! :thumbsup:

#13 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hmmm, I'd guess at shaft to be honest. But it's hard to tell from the description really.

#14 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

Dya reckon its worth getting the steering arm done to see if that cures it, bearing in mind I dont actually want to spend any money if it doesnt fix the problem...

Because he did say the driver side steering arm is loose (I felt it myself as he turned the wheel) and the noise does seem to come from that area on that side of the car.

#15 2lrminivan

2lrminivan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

its strange that it goes when you have driven it for a bit.so what ever it is its getting hot and expanding maybe.
the most common things on vauxhalls is cv joint anti roll bar bush on the wishbone worn out and metal bangs on the wishbone when you go over a bump.and the coil spring broken, also inbord anti roll bar bush . if u are handy with spanners change over the steering arm to the other side and see if it goes thats if its easy to do.
have you taken the cv boot of if not take it off and see if it full of grease if not put some in there.

astras use to suffer with shocks rubbing then when it got hot the sound went, it was a very creaky sound thats why i said about wd40 to soffen the rubber on the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users