10 replies to this topic

#1 Nealk2k3

Nealk2k3

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

Hi, wasn't sure where to put this post, so tech seemed as good a place as any.

I'm doing up my mini at the moment, and recently bought a new set of carpets and floors mats, but before i fit them i'd like to fix a small problem; pretty much every place that has glass leaks, and the front floor pan and rear seat fills up with water. i know how to fix most of it, but the main problem is the front windows. The seals that press up against the windows on the outside just don't seem to be long enough, so replacing them doesnt seem like it would fix the problem. So, basically, at either end of the window glass there is a small gap which means water pours into the door.

Anyone else have this problem? Even better, anyone come up with a clever solution, or know if later cars are better at keeping out water?

Any help is greatly apprecieted, thanks

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:24 PM

I'm not sure but isn't there one sort of seal that's bigger?

Either the early ones or the late ones are slightly bigger, what year is your mini?

Sorry I can't help more but i'm sure someone will know!

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:38 PM

Later models have a wider seal.

Think it is from about 1990 onwards but i might be wrong.

You get them at minisoares or on ebay various places really.

#4 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:41 PM

Clickety Click

Here you go

#5 Nealk2k3

Nealk2k3

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:58 PM

I've attatched a pic on this post showing the problem. Pooky - the car is a '72, not that that means much though because its been rebuilt with parts from various cars. It should all be mark III though. miniboo - thanks, i'll see about getting hold of some more modern seals. I take it both of your minis are watertight?

Attached Files

#6 Nealk2k3

Nealk2k3

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:00 PM

Sorry - i meant the front door glass, not the windscreen - i should have been clearer

#7 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

right sorry i am sure that new ones will be the right length but not sure where to get them from.

Probably minispares

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

Minis of a decent age, going on ten years old should have all the seals replaced. The rubber turns hard, shrinks and splits. New seals, If you buy the genuine originals are just that little bit longer so the need to be compressed up that little bit so when the shrink over age they do not become too short too quick. When fitting new front or rear screen seals, also use new filler strip as this also becomes very brittle and WILL break when you try and re use it. Buy the tool for the job. It only costs a few pounds but is a must, it'll take hours off the job

#9 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:18 PM

Ah now looked at the pics

You can get genuine new items but the ones I got were a little short too. As long as the seal itself is in contact with the window along its entire length then I don't think that they are the reason for the foot wells filling up with water. If you have rot bubling through the paintwork at the bottom of the doors then this is the reason why. The water will run down the window past the seal, drip onto the inner door panel, down the door card and then into the car. A tell tail pool of water sitting in the door seal itself is a good indicator of this problem.

I got mine from Moss Clicky No 48 near the bottom

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

As for the foot wells filling up with water, I had a 1983 Mayfair, which had plates welded over rust holes on the inner wing by the A post. These were not welded entirely the way arround which alowed water in, when driving in the rain, looked down at the passenger side floor to find 2 inches of water :angry:

Check any welded patches are fully sealed properly.

#11 Nealk2k3

Nealk2k3

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

Minisprocket - ok, i'll check what you said about the welded panels, but i am quite sure that the doors at least partly contributes to the footwells filling up - as you say, it runs through the inside of the door, some going into the door card, and most draining out of holes in the bottom of the door, but i think some gets in through the actual door seal that goes right round the outside edge of the door as well; as my mini has been de-seemed, the seems no longer channel water away, so it runs round the edge of the door frame :sad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users