Slinky1313

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Sutton Mini Club

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

http://www.minispare...mp;prod_id=2329

heyo all, i was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with this, my cones have collapsed quite badly and ive not been able to get new ones because i couldnt afford them, ive got abit of money now and i was just trying to decide, if i was to buy new cones, adjustable trumpets, new shocks, and new knuckles i figure it will come out to around 200 pounds. Now i was just thinking that for that kind of money i could get those spring conversions and be shveet. is there anything im not taking into consideration and also has anyone got any experience with these things?(especially from the link) Also whats the general concensus on them? thanks very much

#2 nicksuth

nicksuth

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

You will still need shockers and that's another £200 if you want decent adjustables (like Spax, GAZ etc.) - the kit doesn't contain shockers.

Edited by nicksuth, 03 December 2009 - 10:33 PM.

#3 Slinky1313

Slinky1313

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

yeah i thought about that and i think id be ok with splashing out that bit extra, just want to know if people would recomend it? because im thinkin this way i never need to change them again either. I doubt id get amazing shocks anyway, might bargin hunt for some adjustables.

#4 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

I thought really seriously about it 18 months ago and ended up replacing with standard rubber cones, HiLo's, knuckles and Spax all round after reading a couple of posts saying that they can become dislodged and are really only recommended for race/rally? was very tempted to give them a try though (bottled it and played safe!!)

#5 Slinky1313

Slinky1313

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

lol, yeah that was my worry aswell, i dont want to end up paying out lots of cash only to find that they screw up in some way. are there many bad reviews of them then?

#6 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

Good shockers are the most important suspension item on a Classic Mini (assuming the cones/trumpets/knuckles are okay) and adustables make it so much easier to get the right balance.

#7 Slinky1313

Slinky1313

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

hmm, are there any shocks you would recomend while were on the topic?

#8 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:52 PM

I knew I'd read it somewhere, see below (from Minispares website)

It has been said that one of the biggest improvements that can be made to a Mini is to replace the rubber cone springs. When that statement was made it referred to new rubber cones… there is now a new standard in Mini springing: coil springs! This direct-replacement kit includes everything to replace the harsh riding rubber cones with proper springs. Special hard anodized aluminum perches allow the springs to be fitted to either the stock trumpets or Hi-Los. The highest quality progressive winding is used to insure that the springs will not sag after many years of use, unlike the rubber cones. Available in three spring rates: C-SRP100 is soft (Blue), C-SRP200 is firm (Red), and C-SRP250 competition spec.We do not recommended these for road use as the spring can dislodge when hitting holes in bad roads especially lowered cars.Suspension mods should be carried out by proffessionals as in racing..

http://www.minispare...=...&title=COIL SPRING CONVERSION SE...

Spax every time (but I do hear good reports about GAZ)

#9 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

oooops double posted so cleared

Edited by nicksuth, 03 December 2009 - 11:07 PM.

#10 Slinky1313

Slinky1313

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

damn i spose that just about answers my question, i was looking forward to getting cool springs to :shy: o well, i appreciate the help, i spose i dont really want them to come flying through the hood of my car tho. Any particular cones youd recomend or just the standard replacement?, because just was daydreaming about the performance ones looks like their abit more solid and was just thinkin if theyd last abit longer?

#11 all-agro

all-agro

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

What about these road car spings?

http://www.minitastic.co.uk/home1.htm

#12 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

to be honest ive head mix reviews about both donuts and coil springs
Genral consensus is the shocks make the biggest difference and from searching AGX peform the best
Someone a while back tested AGX, spax and gaz and AGX were the best. and theyre cheaper so id get on the phone to either pl minis or mini spares for a full set and they adjustable

if u going to race the mini or plan track days id personally get the fast road kit from mini tastic ive heard rave reviews from alot of people on their springs :shy:

#13 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

I just fitted the standard Dunlop/Moulton ones, just make sure they are GENUINE as there are a lot of dodgy ones out there - Minispares are best.

PS - Don't make your decision yet, give some members time to post there views, particularly if they have the Coil type fitted, it may just be playing safe by Minispares? (might be worth an email to [email protected])

#14 Slinky1313

Slinky1313

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

wow those are pretty friggin cool, i think i might go for those, wonder what makes them road specific? as for teh shocks ill get on spares and get that sorted. thanks for the help so far

#15 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

well the coil springs have a more progressive spring rate as i under stand it making the mini more stable threw the corners

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users