#1 Mintec

Mintec

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

HI All.

Apart from the KAD rear disc conversions does any one know of other companies who do a kit?

Or has anyone made their own rear disc conversion?

Thanks

Paul C

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:17 PM

I had a link to a site that some one was doing this but he seems to have removed the page. He was using something like Vauxhall Nove front disks re drilled for the Mini stud pattern and used the Metro for pot calipers, using one pair of pistons in each caliper for the foot brake and the other two pairs for the hand brake, obviously removing the cabe operated item and fitting a hydralic one. They wouldnt fit under the 10" wheels though :huh:

I personaly would use something like the Sierra Cosworth 2wheel drive rear calipers which have the cable hand brake built in. This along with th Cooper 7" disk (not the Cooper S 7.5 disk) on the original hubs with a one inch spacer. The other option to the original rear hubs is to have one machined to the requirements best suited to the fittment of these cooper disks. Go too big on the disk and you will over brake the rear and lock it up.Even with the smaller disks an adjustable bias valve would need to be fitted to get it set up properly using the brake efficiency tester down at the local friendly MOT station :cheese:

The only real reasons anyone should be concidering disks on the rear is, A) for the looks. And, B) thier simplicity in servicing. I.E. no need to adjust. The reason for this is that the drums, particularly the Minifin veriety are more than adequet.

To top this off, after I get the disk set up working I will look at the ultimate in braking power - ABS :saywhat: Stop on a sixpence :angry: :angry: ( how many people on here know what a sixpence looks like :gasp: ) LOL

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:25 PM

could you use citroen BX front disks as they have a front hand brake ? :erm:

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

could you use citroen BX front disks as they have a front hand brake ? :erm:

Dont see why not. If they got a mechanical hand brake built into the hydralic caliper and use sollid disks there should be no problem, its just a matter of phisical size and rear items are normaly smaller. The Sierra Cosworth 2wd items are non vented so ideal :cheese:

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

obviously removing the cabe operated item and fitting a hydralic one.

The handbrake MUST be cable operated.

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

obviously removing the cabe operated item and fitting a hydralic one.

The handbrake MUST be cable operated.

He believes it does not, as long as there is a seperate hydralic circuit that operates each system so if one fails the other can still remain orerational.

Plumbing the handbrake into the main brake circuit is a no no

And note that this was not my idea and in no way would i concider it anyway

#7 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

Hydralic handbrakes seem to be like LED rear lights, once they were illegal now all top fanafactures are doing them. Just because they didnt pass some stupid law some time ago, as they werent tested, doesnt mean they arnt any good and now they are. Hydralic, I think, is more reliable that a piece of cable any day as long as they are of a good quality.

#8 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

Plumbing the handbrake into the main brake circuit is a no no

I do agree with that though, until its proven.

#9 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:18 AM

Not trying to shoot you down in flames but is there any real need for rear discs on a mini? I own a westfield that has rear discs and it over brakes by quite a lot on the rear which can result in a spin if i'm not carefull, so i need to fit a PRV in the line or a adjustable bias valve. Minis are quite light compared to most cars and about 80% of the braking is done with the front. If you needed better brakes i would spend the money upgrading the front rather than changing from the drums which are doing a pretty good job as it is.

Just my pennies worth

Karl

#10 simong6

simong6

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:05 AM

i was advised against rear disks due to the lack of weight in the back end of a mini, but i dunno

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:14 AM

I asked KAD about using their rear conversion when I Vtec my Clubby and keep it on 10s. He said the only reason they developed their kit was to save weight at the back (apparently their setup is considerably lighter than the convential drum setup). He said I should be fine with having vented 4 pots at the front and well maintained drums at the rear.

You mind me asking what you need rear disks for?

#12 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:25 PM

Hydralic handbrakes seem to be like LED rear lights, once they were illegal now all top fanafactures are doing them. Just because they didnt pass some stupid law some time ago, as they werent tested, doesnt mean they arnt any good and now they are. Hydralic, I think, is more reliable that a piece of cable any day as long as they are of a good quality.

out of intrest, which manufacturers are fitting hydraulic handbrakes to their cars?...any links or evidence?

#13 Mintec

Mintec

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:40 PM

You mind me asking what you need rear disks for?

No not at all!!

I use my mini for tarmac rallying and have a 1600cc Vtec fitted in it.

I have metro 4 pots with mintex 1144 pads. I've binned the standard bulkhead bias valve thingy. and now have a hydraulic hand brake with a wilwood in line bias valve. I have a smaller then standard bore wheel cylinders.

They are fine for road use but on stage they get some serious abuse and the standard drums get hot and i end up with bad brake fade! so it gets a bit hairy!!!

I've got some KAD 6 pot calipers to put on over the winter so need to sort the rear brakes out.

However i dont want to spend £100 on some minifins, i'd rather put it towards a rear disc conversion.

Paul

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

Ahhh, similar setup to what I'll be using then! Do you find braking an issue?

As I said with the KADs, they told me that they developed the kit more for weight loss than improved braking performance. However I told them my mini will be used for road/track days, not sure what they would say if you told them you use yours for racing.

I should imagine using their 6 pots and some of their minifins on the back would be sufficient!

What size wheels you use?

#15 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:39 PM

surely the discs would cool alot easy/quicker than a drum will?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users