#17 1380rich

1380rich

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Local Club: nope

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

well said rusky! :xxx: loving the project by the way.. look forward to seeing it. keep it up

#18 rusky

rusky

Banned due to discrepencies in Classifieds

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

cheers for the positive side :xxx:

Edited by rusky, 06 December 2009 - 11:46 AM.

#19 rusky

rusky

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Ok, weve upset people i guess -
the zcars do a home made kit for 5.5k, and yes these are built by diyers without and restriction, and are registered as road going minis - irrespective of how passionate you are about the company. even if they are verified and meet requirments for autograssing (Ive spent time in the autograssing scene myself and know this means absolutely diddly squat) they are not minis. and they will be verified by iva, not mass production requirments as only small numbers enter the roads. It is also not difficult to customise drive shafgts etc, so please dont think this is a demonstration of engineering excellence.
I will terminate this log if this carry on, as it obviously offends.

Edited by rusky, 06 December 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

The link is to a replacement front subframe which is a different proposition to cutting away a large chunk of the shell for a rear engine. I don't think anyone is offended by this as a project thread.

I'm quite happy to prune it back to that if you like? I'd leave it up to you to edit your own posts so we don't invite more comments over IVA requirements and Z Cars.

#21 rusky

rusky

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

The link is to a replacement front subframe which is a different proposition to cutting away a large chunk of the shell for a rear engine. I don't think anyone is offended by this as a project thread.

I'm quite happy to prune it back to that if you like? I'd leave it up to you to edit your own posts so we don't invite more comments over IVA requirements and Z Cars.

but this is a rear mounted frame meaning a large section of the shell is cut out anyway moving on will have more pictures coming very shortly of the floor pan made with a sheet folder

#22 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

A full rollcage does not look like this

http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/civic.htm

if you look on floor you will see the front half of the kit there which when bolted up forms a full cage like this the blue one, forgetting about the front subframe

and they also do a fully welded race spec kit that can be used on the road which id the yellow one

you have not upset me you when asked if it would pass a iva you made referance to z cars products and made comments that where not true only reason why i posted what i posted

you made the referances to z cars so opened it up to be questioned the 5.5k kit includes everthing needed to do the build wheels brakes etc everthing

thats all was responding to

i am all for people doing something differant and hope it goes to plan

not sure you can fit a airbag to a home biuilt kit as the production car it came from will have been crashed tested to make sure it acts in a specsific way

Edited by THE STIG, 06 December 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#23 zrblue

zrblue

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

How are you planning to achieve 150 bhp atw?

From the pictures the engine looks like the one from a TF135, not a 160 (cant see the VVC mechs)

If it is the base 135, its 135 at the fly, not the wheel, so to get 150 at the wheels youll need a hell of alot of work done. 150 at the wheels works out to around 187bhp at the fly (based on standard conversion of 0.8 losses at the wheel/transmission) So increasing power by roughly 50 bhp on the standard 135 would probably need the big valve VVC cylinder head, with the VVC mechs removed and blanked, with some pretty wild cams. Ive seen 211 at the fly out of a bored out 1.9l k series but that was running on throttle bodies, crazy cams, emerald ecu - the works basically.

Iven if this is a 160, its 157bhp at the fly, and getting an extra 30 bhp out of the VVC is a hard, very hard, and very expensive slog.

#24 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

Ok, I'm no Z Car expert but I can see the front subby is just part of a rear engine kit. It does say full roll frame in the description and there does look to be a substantial hoop going up to the roof line along with some extra tubing.

It would be a different topic to your build thread though, so if you want to raise the issue it might be better done in the Z Cars area. That way we can get this back to the project diary I think you intended?

#25 Alex_grease_monkey

Alex_grease_monkey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

looks amazing mann :xxx:

all the best with it!

#26 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Mr. Rusty is a bit touchy eh?

All this talk of IVA's etc and the why's and wherefore's of what Z cars do is one thing... but forgetting all about that for a second....

Do you realise that there's not mot much point having airbags when the rear mounted engine and transmission will smash you in the back of the head if you have a front end impact.

Those four skinny bits of box section you've replaced the sills with will fold like a wet napkin in anything more than a tiny front end fender bender! Given that you've also dumped the roof skin the bodyshell isn't gonna add much in the way of strength.

I don't fancy going over many kerbs with it at speed either. Little or no torsional stiffness in that design.

I'm not being negative for the sake of it I promise, just saying what I see!

#27 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

I think it's an interesting addition to the mini scene, why not lets have more hybrids or whatever you want to call them.

I'm assuming rusty that you will tie the whole thing together with a roll cage to complete the chassis and we are currently looking at an incomplete chassis, if that's the case I don't see why it wouldn't end up being an extremely strong structure.

As for going on the road, I don't see why not

Cheers
David

#28 miniman.matt

miniman.matt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

Mr. Rusty is a bit touchy eh?

All this talk of IVA's etc and the why's and wherefore's of what Z cars do is one thing... but forgetting all about that for a second....

Do you realise that there's not mot much point having airbags when the rear mounted engine and transmission will smash you in the back of the head if you have a front end impact.

Those four skinny bits of box section you've replaced the sills with will fold like a wet napkin in anything more than a tiny front end fender bender! Given that you've also dumped the roof skin the bodyshell isn't gonna add much in the way of strength.

I don't fancy going over many kerbs with it at speed either. Little or no torsional stiffness in that design.

I'm not being negative for the sake of it I promise, just saying what I see!

nice and blunt lol ^_^

#29 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

does this comment applie to all rear engined cars????

#30 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

awesome great work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users