45 replies to this topic

#31 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

This looks like a really interesting project. I like the idea of using the MGF front and rear ends do you plan on making a full cage for it? I was also wondering if you plan on reinforcing the sub frame mount? It seems like one arm with a guest is a little less support than something holding that much load should have. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#32 rusky

rusky

Banned due to discrepencies in Classifieds

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

Mr. Rusty is a bit touchy eh?

All this talk of IVA's etc and the why's and wherefore's of what Z cars do is one thing... but forgetting all about that for a second....

Do you realise that there's not mot much point having airbags when the rear mounted engine and transmission will smash you in the back of the head if you have a front end impact.

Those four skinny bits of box section you've replaced the sills with will fold like a wet napkin in anything more than a tiny front end fender bender! Given that you've also dumped the roof skin the bodyshell isn't gonna add much in the way of strength.

I don't fancy going over many kerbs with it at speed either. Little or no torsional stiffness in that design.

I'm not being negative for the sake of it I promise, just saying what I see!

A) the frame is incomplete in this log so far - it is a project journal is it not??
B) as for yuor comment re airbags - you are a pillock if you real belive that all mid engined cars are dangerously fitted with airbags - I dont know you but im sure you are not in the knowledge enough to make this assumption.
C) I cant be bothered to continue this project - it is only a page so far, and has been taken to 3 pages with arguments and ridiculous comments. This was supposed to be a sharing experiences log, not a challenge the eggheads forum.
D) I think you all need a cup of tea, and the treat the missus to some time in the bedroom.

#33 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I like this!!

Don't let the TMF police put you off, always nice to see something different.

(I think you've also found the only decent use for an MGF..............a Mini donor!!!)

#34 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

o dear seems rusky didnt last long! maybe he should talk to himself in a mirror if he does not like oppinions on his efforts? shame may have been an interesting project to see how it fairs in the IVA and how it develops as a project!

I would be supprised if it ever actually, leagally gets on the road. Shame.

#35 scoticus

scoticus

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

and theres me looking forward to seeing this through

I also had the same idea...

i sharnt put anything else to this comment... but theres plenty i could say

all the best Rusky, hope you continue with this idea ;)

#36 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

dont go rusky!!! i wonted to see the fruits of your labour (in other words i wanted to see the finshed result) dont let some people put you off. you dont have to listen to them its your minigtf you do with it as you see fit mate!!!!!

#37 rusky

rusky

Banned due to discrepencies in Classifieds

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

I will post the log of the build on its completion, to anyone who is interested. I am finding this forum tiresome to say the least, so to lessen the headache Ill post it all at once. And to all the people questioning the quality of the build, watch and see, I can guarantee this will enter the roads legally, nd will actually end up being a respectable road going conversion car, capable of entering shows etc.

#38 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

yay i look forward to seeing the end result

good luck

YetI

#39 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

I am finding this forum tiresome to say the least,

Well said >_< .

I'm well interested in this project either way, so please post the progress when you can :lol:

#40 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

The projects section is for members to tell us about their projects. So it's reasonable for Rusky to expect to do the majority of posting.

Yes anyone can make observations and ask questions, but keep it civil and constructive. It's Rusky's project so the theme ought to be how he can best achieve his aim.

I'll prune out the unnecessary stuff at some point.

#41 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

Looks like a very interesting project. Something different, which is alway good. Dont let the idiots put you off. Some people need to learn the difference between constructive criticism and just being obnoxious.

If you haven't already, have a look over on 16vminiclub.com people are quite helpful over there.

Mike

#42 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

A) the frame is incomplete in this log so far - it is a project journal is it not??
B) as for yuor comment re airbags - you are a pillock if you real belive that all mid engined cars are dangerously fitted with airbags - I dont know you but im sure you are not in the knowledge enough to make this assumption.
C) I cant be bothered to continue this project - it is only a page so far, and has been taken to 3 pages with arguments and ridiculous comments. This was supposed to be a sharing experiences log, not a challenge the eggheads forum.
D) I think you all need a cup of tea, and the treat the missus to some time in the bedroom.

It might be a project thread, its true, but I think the wrong end of the stick's been grabbed here to a certain extent. I'm a good northern lad, and know I can be over-blunt sometimes so please accept my apologies for that. I hope I am being (generally) constructive.

A) You didn't say the frame was incomplete - but even so, its not really the best structural start. Long lengths of box section in bending, plus you've removed a lot of strength from the shell. You WILL need it IVA'd to legally drive it on the road, and it WOULDN'T pass an IVA as you've shown it. If you think you'd get away without one, any clued up traffic copper could (and possibly would) have it crushed, never mind the potential for someone to get hurt. Apologies for any offence caused, but if you don't say we don't know.

B) I meant with the frame as you have it, there is a real and actual risk of the engine squashing the driver in an accident. I didn't say this related to all mid-engine or rear-engine cars at all! Bit of a misunderstanging there - someone else asked that question (a bit of a daft one really). As for my qualifications.... I doubt you would believe me if I told you >_< suffice to say - I left University with a Masters in Automotive Engineering from Loughborough over 10 years ago, and have used what I learnt plus gained a lot more knowledge since. Engineering is not just my hobby.

C & D) Interestingly enough I know where you're coming from there, I find it incredible that so many people gush flattering comments over modifications that are downright scary to someone who practices automotive engineering professionally - I guess in your case it went the other way. Grow a thicker skin chap. You have been quite confrontational from the outset.

Admins may or may not delete this post, I hope not. There is actually quite a bit of knowledge here, so maybe pick your rattle up off the floor, and share what the actual plan for the remainder of the structure is with us. I think you exected some form of worship, didn't get it, and now have run off with your ball.

#43 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:17 AM

Looks like a very interesting project. Something different, which is alway good. Dont let the idiots put you off. Some people need to learn the difference between constructive criticism and just being obnoxious.

If you haven't already, have a look over on 16vminiclub.com people are quite helpful over there.

Mike

As above really about the 16vminiclub.com as some of us are interested in the build and would like to
see the build as it progresses.

#44 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

I like this last quote D , i think it somes a few people up quite fairly.
I think its a shame this thread has ended and how its ended.
its true what rusty has said about people just trying to argue with him.
good luck with the project anyway mate.

as for <B> above i think ill be selling my porsche now as i dont want to be killed by the airbags.

Edited by MIGLIACARS, 28 December 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#45 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Nobody is saying rear engine cars are dangerous - just rear engine cars with insufficient structural strength between the engine and driver.

Or were you just trying to get a rise?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users