#16 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

nice job so far, looks like a super neat job.

Are you on drugs?

Also - I'd be thinking about deciding how the engine conversion is going to go together before buggering around with de-seaming too. As well as sorting the rot.

Is it your fabrication business or your dad's fabrication business?

Well i think we all expected a comment like that from you sooner or later !!! >_<

Personally I'd have to agree with Suki'

I looked at the pictures of the welding and thought... oh dear, more reason not to touch a deseamed mini...

I'm not a fabricator, nor pretend to be, but I'd expect considerably better than that from a professional... all you have there is a potentially rather weak but weld...

When I've deseamed something, I weld from the inside and then remove the seam, adding fish plates as I go.. But then I've only deseamed the back of my cabrio' and removed rear bumper lips.

#17 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Well, maybe.

Good luck to the lad, but I fail to understand why people gush comments like they do, when those of us who've been modifiying and building cars for years shake their heads in dismay at the death of another salvageable shell.

I am not saying thats whats going to happen here of course, god forbid. It might all seem negative, but why WOULD you start deseaming when you don't know how the engine conversion is going to work, and you have a scuttle the state of that one!

If you're inexperienced and want to get advice be honest about it. Don't claim to be professional and then stick up photos of welding to that quality! Any professional faricator would wet himself laughing at the crow poo shown there.

Doing massive conversion projects like that are a bit like having children really. Everyone can do it, but those who do it well, and plan it properly, are in the minority. Anyway - hijack over.

Good luck with the project.

Couldn't agree more, start with the structural work and then go from there,

#18 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

i completely agree with everything said, i just feel there are ways about saying it that could be.....a little nicer !! >_<

#19 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

I see welding like that (and a lot worse) all the time on here and people always make the comments about how good it looks, makes me cringe!!

#20 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

Very true.

The thread about the MGF hybrid in the Rover section is kind of along the same lines; except that chap has lobbed his toys out and decided not to post anymore.

I wonder how Jaysmini will react when he logs back on......

#21 less is more

less is more

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Local Club: NONE

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

Well the quality of work on the website looks fine, but looking at the quality shown here, I'd say we were looking at two different welders, plus who in their right mind would weld on top of carpet floors, now I don't profess to be professional, but I wouldn't advertise my business and then show those pictures,

sorry Jay, it's nothing personal but hats off to ya for having a go mate

Andy

#22 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

I also wonder about the fuel pipes, they are just hanging there, have they been blown out to remove the fuel....they should have been removed first really before any welding or grinding is started!!

#23 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

i would deffinately not like to be there to see the affects on the mini and poss surroundings if they hadnt ! >_< mate of mine when stripping his mini took the tank out the car, and started the car and left in on tick over to empty the pipes, was ditching the engine but was just interested to see how long it would run, and after being started it ran for around 8-9 mins before a hint of a cough or splutter ! i know its only tick over but, old engines arent very efficient at the best of times even just ticking over, but i was quite suprised at that 10 mins running just from the fuel in the lines !!

Edited by Sean12, 15 December 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#24 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

cool, good lucking with the build and ignore the doubting thomas' on this site

#25 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

SukiDawg

I want to see new projects, see how they develop doesn't matter if they are good, bad, indifferent. Lets have more projects, your negative comments justified or otherwise are going to kill this project forum stone cold

David

#26 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

SukiDawg

I want to see new projects, see how they develop doesn't matter if they are good, bad, indifferent. Lets have more projects, your negative comments justified or otherwise are going to kill this project forum stone cold

David

Ahmen ! your advice is often helpful sukidawg, but the way you say it ......

#27 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:22 AM

Gees guys no need to crucify the fellah!

I would say that weld would be just as strong as the standard spot welded piece - probably stronger, it is welded fully along the seem instead of only every couple of centremetres where spotted. What it looks like is not so important when most of it is ground off. I am no welding expert, but it doesnt look like rubbish.

Welding on wood on top of carpet does not seem like a good plan, but at least there is a fire extinguisher handy.

There is certainly a big job ahead, I am amazed at how rusty and where the rust appears on your cars in the UK. Is it the salt that kills a lot of your cars? For example - how has the panel under the windscreen got so bad?

#28 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

The points about fuel are over the top sorry. You can weld with old fuel pipes etc kicking about, it won't explode like in the movies. If the shell has been standing for a while any fuel vapour will have evaporated (I grew up around a small back street garage, and trust me, you can do a lot to a car before you burn it down - its sound insulation you have to watch for not so much fuel pipes). In the case of Sean's friend it will have been running on the fuel in float bowl of the carb not the lines, and the engine is removed from this shell.

Also, welding on MDF isn't going to do any harm either. Might make some wee black marks on the MDF but thats all, or maybe put some blim burns on the carpet.

Funny how a few start slagging something when one starts eh? How come these comments have suddenly all started to come in this thread when they don't in so many others?

The welding is not the worst anyone's seen, but its not the neatest either! I started because its just plain boring when the usual suspects w*nk themselves senseless over yet another "I have a wacking great ambition, give me some pointers" thread.

Personally, I reckon a voice with a different view amongst the spouting "oh my god you're so great thats amazing, best work ever, you are so fit I want your babies" comments is not a bad thing. Like of SaxoFiestaMini might like to say everything in the world is the best thing they have ever seen, but it gets boring. I guess some of the stuff I've typed is a reaction to that as much as anything.

OK, so the way its put is hard for some, I take that on board and will try in future to moderate the message and make it less blunt. It has got to be said though - this place is more of a mutual back slapping exercise than 10 George Michael clones in a private sauna at times.

Man up please.

Edited by SukiDawg, 16 December 2009 - 01:02 AM.

#29 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:09 AM

The point i made about fuel is not over the top, the car could have been outside in the cold weather for a while and just brought inside, in which case it certainly wont have evaporated, i know it's not going to explode but it's not going to be too good if it sets alight either whilst the guy working on it is oblivious and happily welding away. Much easier to make sure it is safe in the first place.

Also it's not going to be very helpful to the fuel system when the pipes are full of iron filings...

#30 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

Petrol vapourises at well below any ambient temperature you would find in the outdoors, and I guess he's going to replace those fuel pipes for a bike engine convrsion, but lets not get bogged in that. I reckon we've hijacked his thread enough....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users