#18 Sir Cheat

Sir Cheat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

I will use this stuff for running in my 1380 when its built. After that im going to use Valvoline VR1 20w-50

#19 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:10 AM

Its the only stuff I use.. I have no problems with it

How do you know ? Unless your taking samples and having them analysed for wear metals etc then it's impossible to tell whether it's causing problems or not.

As said further up in this thread it's not worth scrimping on engine oil as you get exactly what you pay for. If it's cheap to buy then it's cheap oil that wont be very shear stable which means it will thin out very quickly and although may start life as a 20W50 may soon become a 40 grade !!

#20 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

No way of knowing how shear stable it is unless you either test it or know the viscosity index (VI). I guess this will be based on Group I base oil so low VI. If there is no specification on the container then i wouldn't even entertain it as an engine oil.

Also, as Greyedout said, you are not going to know if there is any engine wear taking place unless you do a used oil analysis and you would also need a reference oil to compare against.

Edited by R1minimagic, 20 December 2009 - 09:18 AM.

#21 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Its the only stuff I use.. I have no problems with it

How do you know ? Unless your taking samples and having them analysed for wear metals etc then it's impossible to tell whether it's causing problems or not.

As said further up in this thread it's not worth scrimping on engine oil as you get exactly what you pay for.

But equally you don't know whether the more pricy oils are any good either, just because they have fancy names and adverts (which is all reflected in the price) dosen't automatically mean they are that much better.

The A-series in a Mini is a little unusal as it shares the oil with the gearbox, so oil type will always be a compromise. IMO for a most road engines having their oil changed every 3 to 5 k then Asda oil will be fine. With no real evidence either way it'd be difficult to prove otherwise.

#22 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

That's why i said you would need to test it against a reference oil!

I agree, just because the price is higher doesn't mean it is better!

I saw some engine oil in Lidl last year and was interested to read the specification, I was very surprised that it had a good specification and was only about £7-8, so it just goes to show. If the ASDA stuff has no spec on the container, don't use it!

Edited by R1minimagic, 20 December 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#23 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

With no real evidence either way it'd be difficult to prove otherwise.

The evidence is the ratings given to it under test that are written on the bottle. Asda oil doesn't have a rating, don't use it. Cheap oil is the same as cheap fuel, made from left overs and recylcled garbage with supplements added to get it to pass the specification. It doesn't last. It's precisely because it's used in the gearbox as well that you need something with quality to it and would want to know how well it performs. £5.00 worth of oil every 1000 miles, or £15 - £20.00 of oil every 3 - 5000 miles. Take filters and your time into account and this cheap oil isn't that cheap after all.

#24 D1k1m4y

D1k1m4y

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

i use it and never had any problems its fine if you ask me

#25 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

I think sometimes people forget most classic minis have been around a long time, you have no idea of the history of the car. Whose to say the previous owner didn't use the cheapest oil he could.
I know for a fact when I was in my teens it was the only oil I did use.
Just because they now have a bit of a classic status and are driven by enthusiasts doesn't mean in a past life they weren't driven by 17 yr olds with no money

#26 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

I think sometimes people forget most classic minis have been around a long time, you have no idea of the history of the car. Whose to say the previous owner didn't use the cheapest oil he could.
I know for a fact when I was in my teens it was the only oil I did use.
Just because they now have a bit of a classic status and are driven by enthusiasts doesn't mean in a past life they weren't driven by 17 yr olds with no money

This may be true for lets say a mid 70s car with the original engine, but not say of the late MPis - mine had 16,000 miles, and judging by the previous owner's house, and mound of reciepts he didn't use cheapo oil. Also, the OP may have just bought his car with a freshly built engine, therefore absolutely no history of poor quality oil.

#27 twiggy

twiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

Never had any problems with it. Same stuff if you ask me...

#28 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

It's their Smart Price brand, the marketing presents it as a basic no frills product, it doesn't mean it is. I can't see a supermarket writing an oil specification, they will just buy in the cheapest & most convenient they can find & the price will have as much to do with volume and contracts. Quite possibly it's part of a contract that gets branded oil a space on their shelves.

Quite agree you only get to find out poor oil has taken 20k miles off the life of your engine when it finally wears out.

I sent them an email, wonder if it'll get a reply?

#29 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

I use it :cry:

Mainly because my car leaks and I can't afford to keep topping it up with proper stuff.

I'll just have to wait and see what problems I get using it.

But for £5 you can't leave it there, it has to perform to a decent enough standard to be able to be sold, surely.

Ben

#30 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

If there is no specification on the bottle it could be anything, don't use it!!

by the way - Cheap fuel is not made from leftovers or recycled anything, it just doesn't have the same additive packages or approvals.

Edited by R1minimagic, 20 December 2009 - 02:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users