Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

Asda 20w 50 is about as much use as a choclate tea pot

we use it in the chain saw and thats in wouldn't let the stuff near my engine

Comma Classic 20W 50 all the way

ive used comma for years for other cars and alot of people i know give it a 4 to 5 star rating :thumbsup:

#77 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

The ASDA/Morrisons stuff is every bit the equal of Comma 20/50 ! Probably all come out of the same tank!

#78 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

The ASDA/Morrisons stuff is every bit the equal of Comma 20/50 ! Probably all come out of the same tank!

its no were near the same

an iderpent company tested both oils and the cheaper asda/morrisons stuff was in worse condsiton than the comma stuff was after 30 hours of running in an engine

#79 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

i dont even see an arguement, its value oil, its not meant to be good and it isnt. just spend a few extra pennies and get some of the good stuff :thumbsup:

#80 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Well seeing as when I stuck the gearbox/engine back together after doing the bare minimum on a very tight budget to get it running, as the engine isn’t factory fresh anyways. I just wanted to run something cheap so when the time comes to drop the oil again I won’t feel as bad if it’s full of metal like last time.

But apart from the oil pump dying down to the gearbox, I haven’t noticed any difference, been on a few long ish runs, odd b road and running around town etc and so far problem free.

#81 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

its not odd runs and few mileage that counts its the wear on the engine over the duration of the engine, i can see why its there some people may not need/ want more expensive oil. but to say its as good as better quality more expensive oils is ludacris. i think you could however outweigh the saving on the actuall oil by the length the better oil can be in the engine, for example if you have a better quality oil it wont need changing quite as frequently, its always good practise to change it when stated but a lower quality oil will get detiriate in quality quicker and need changing more often.

#82 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

State of tune and type of use do have a significant effect on which oil you need. Of course, a 20w50 is really necessary, but for a standard 1275 a decent brand-name 20w50 oil will be OK. For higher performance engines with higher compression ratios, larger capacity engines or high-revving units, a better top quality oil should be used such as Millers or Valvoline Racing.
For my Innocenti 1300 I use Castrol Classic 20w50, but on my 'S' I never use anything but Valvoline Racing 20w50.
I most certainly would never use the £5 a gallon 'cheapie' stuff, not even in a bog standard 850.

#83 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

I personally use Halfords oil for 2 reasons, firstly my friend works there so I get trade price + a few quid off (he usually scans a barcode for a different offer on something like batteries) to return the favour I sometimes buy whatever there target product is, helps them out; even if I do return it a few seconds later. Secondly it can't be that bad, I don't know much about it so I dont want to save a few quid on oil and risk any damage to over £3k's worth of engine.

#84 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

wow cant believe this post is still running :thumbsup:

#85 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

I use it as a top up oil between oil changes. It does the job. Seems to make the engine a bit smokey though or maybe I just need a rebuild?

#86 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

I personally use Halfords oil,

Secondly it can't be that bad, I don't know much about it so I dont want to save a few quid on oil and risk any damage to over £3k's worth of engine.

I original was using the Halfords green oil, (when I used to be £13 a tin) but I did happen to leave it 7k between the last oil change :thumbsup:

The way I see it, surly changing the oil more frequently even with cheap stuff is a lot better than filling it with slightly more expensive stuff and forgetting/never changing it.

Besides this engine is not fresh out the box and is only a standard, well used 998. In an ideal world, the engine would be treated to a no expense spared full nut and bolt re-build and treated with the best most expensive oil available, but that isn’t going to happen.

#87 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

its no were near the same

an iderpent company tested both oils and the cheaper asda/morrisons stuff was in worse condsiton than the comma stuff was after 30 hours of running in an engine

I haven't picked a bottle up recently to look at the label but if it's the same stuff that they used to sell in the black bottles is most definitely is not the same as Comma. It's "oil" and it's viscosity is 20w50 and that's as far as they are prepared to go. Check out the label on a decent motor oil and it will have the various standards that it meets - the specific one is usually an API rating. The stuff tat Asda used to sell didn't even have one which speaks volumes.

Any serious back-to-back test would have to involve two identical engines using it long tem for identical use but I'd be willing to bet that the engine running the stuff without an API rating showed a significant amount of wear long before the one with the decent oil.

By no means am I suggesting that oil needs to be the most expensive one on te shelf but you do need to buy good quality stuff if you want your engine to last a long time.

Opie's website used to have a lot of info on the various standards and what they mean in real terms - I haven't been on there in a while but I'd bet it's still there.

Iain

#88 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Are people that naive? I know we do get some things rebranded but £5 a gallon Asda oil can NOT be the same as £30 a gallon Castrol or Valvoline oil etc.

And for everyone who says- I use it and it's fine, how on earth would you know? Putting crap oil in your car won't suddenly make it lose 20bhp or smoke like hell, it won't make much difference at all, infact it may even free up some power as it won't protect your wearing parts as well and the engine will loosen up, maybe making it easier to start and freer revving, but it will keep allowing parts to wear and that will be the cause of premature failure and/or a smokey rattly engine. That is why you use poor oil for running in, to allow some friction to take place, then after a few miles when everything is seated nicely you dump that rubbish and put in good quality oil that reduces friction to a minimum. That is why people use different oil for running in- because there IS a difference.

Oil may be expensive but anyone who looks after their engine would be daft to save £20 a year and let their engine wear out. I cant see why this is an arguement- one of the things I have learnt (and so should everyone), is you get what you pay for, simple!

That all said I can see why people use it when they have to regularly top it up, I was a student a while ago and I would use the cheapest in my bog standard 998 as it used oil and I had no money- but never scrimp where possible :thumbsup:

...Oh and because it makes your oil light go out it doesn't mean its good- a gallon of milk would turn your oil pressure light off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users