#1 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

I NEED EXPERT HELP FROM YOU GUYS PLS.

I have 4 pot metro brakes with the metro hubs which make my front wheels stick out. Its ok for the time because i have 12x6 wheels with sports pack arches but i want to put some w&p arches on instead, but the front wheels stick out to much. Is there any way of using the original mini hubs so that my wheels sit correctly again, as i remember when we used the mini hubs the brake pads or the calipers rubbed on the disk.

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:35 PM

Put the Mini hubs back on, then offer up your disk, oyu'll see that it fouls the nobbly bits on the steering arm, all you need to do is grind these back a little till they clear the disk, then bolt it all up and fit the 4 pots on. Check everything turns freely and that there is no rubbing on the disk.

When you say the wheels stick out, do they stick out too far all round, or just at the top??
When fitting Metro hubs, you should also fit 1.5* negative camber bottom arms to bring the camber allignment back in, otherwise the top off the wheels will stick out further than the bottom. This could be why they poke out past your arches.

#3 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:50 PM

which nobley bits do u mean, photos would help alot

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:06 PM

Ok, dont laugh at my artistic tallents, couldnt be arsed to go and take a proper pic...

The bits arrowed are the offenders that need grinding off, the coloured in hexagons are the bolts that hold the steering arm on (If you hadnt realised... lol)

Attached Files

#5 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:19 PM

im not laughing pretty good really, right is that a birds eye view?, and does this show it

http://www.minispare...operCatalog.cfm

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

No, thats the steering rack.

The pic is a birds eye view. If you have a look at your hub, you'll see what I mean and when you fit the disk, you'll see were it rubs.

#7 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:37 PM

does it matter that im using vented discs?

#8 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:44 PM

No they will fit, but thats why you need to grind the nobbles back, so the disk will fit on and not bind.

#9 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:50 PM

grinding the bits back is that a hard job? ive got a drimel will that do it? will it weaken the bits?

sorry for all the questions

#10 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:51 PM

Have a look HERE, there is a bit about this conversion about half way down, thanks go to the IME website...

#11 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:53 PM

Dremil will do it, might take a while, but will be fine. It wont make it dangerous grinding them off, I even read in Mini Mag/World about doing this before, so if they print it, it must be ok... :erm:

#12 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:56 PM

cheers thx for ur help, do u think its a big job? do u think i should start it about 6 tomorrow night and finish it?

i know this is cheeky but could u write a step by step guide of what to do :)

#13 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:01 PM

probly best to leave it till you have a full day free, if you need to get somat finnished in a rush, there is always somat to go wrong!

All you need to do is take the disks off the mini hubs and replace them with the metro ones (after you grind the nobbles back). You will have to use the metro drive flanges tho and, but not 100% sure tho, the mini flange bolts because of thread differences?? Try them and see if the metro bolts fit the mini hubs.

#14 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:11 PM

what are the drive flanges :S this is getting a bigger job by the minute LOL

#15 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:33 PM

Sorry to piggy back your thread paulbin, but while we're on the subject of 4pots,

Rich, aren't they a completely straight swap if you have 8.4 breaks? i.e undo 2 caliper bolts, put new caliper on?

All that I'm aware of is that you need some special brake hose thing to double up for each caliper?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users