10 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:38 PM

Right, I want to install a chrome windscreen fillet strip.

How do I get the old one out? I assume I can do this with the windscreen in place?

Will i need the fillet tool? It looks just like a piece of diamond shaped wire. Is there something that can be used instead?

#2 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:46 PM

There is normally a piece of metal that covers the two ends of the fillet which can be levered out with a screwdriver. One end of the fillet can then be levered and the whole thing will pull out very easily with no need to remove the screen. The trouble comes when refitting, i very much doubt you will be able to do it without the proper tool. I have seen the wire ones but don't know what they're like - mine has a piece of wire with a roller on the back to push the strip in which is very effective. You might be able to get a local screen fitter to put them in for you as this would probably be cheaper than buying the tool. Hope this helps!

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:42 PM

You do need the tool, but I have know people who have managed without it.
If you can get some spring steel rod about 1.5 mm dia you could bend it in the right shape and make a handle for it. Use plenty of soap.

You could try a windscreen fitter, but its only really Mini's that need it.
To replace a screen on most cars you fit the rubber to the glass, fit the insert to the rubber. Then feed some string around the part of the rubber that sits in the body aperture. Then simply pull the string and the rubber lifts over the aperture. Sadly you can not use this method on a Mini. here you fit the glass to the car, then carefully prise the rubber over the glass then lastly fit the insert.

Siggy

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:03 PM

You can do this without the tool , in about an hour or so , or with the tool in a couple of minits either way as has been said before , use plenty of washing-up liquid. my tool also has a roller to press the strip in , i made my first tool with welding rod and a file handle , after bending the welding rod to shape i heat treated it to harden it and stop it bending so easy , now i have bought the proper tool and it only cost about £10. my local screen fitter charged my mate £10 to fit a new strip for him (in about 3 minits, easy money) "i didnt know you could do that that " LOL

#5 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:19 PM

I have both types and they both work as good as each other.
The one with he roller came frrom Vauxhalls factory in Ellesmere port as thats what they were using at the time.

Siggy

#6 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:56 PM

I used that diamond shape one worked really well, very easy especially with a whole tube of vaseline!!! it just took 3hours to get the soddin windscreen in, because we didn;t want to cut the seal!! :)

#7 mrd

mrd

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:19 PM

i have been install a chrome windscreen fillet strip my self to day.

it is murder trying to get it in. but i have only been using a screw

driver. the only tip i can give you is to aim the rubber at the sun

it will make it a bit more strechy if its a warm day.

#8 The_Mini_Bug

The_Mini_Bug

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:00 PM

i bin doin mine today as well with screwdriver and loads of washin up liquid

#9 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,428 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:30 PM

:) be getting me some at mini 45 and re doing all mine..

this could be a good FAQ...

#10 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:23 PM

Yeah and a tech article if u like....

#11 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:52 PM

i added chrome fillets to mine when i put my rear window in, i made the mistake of using a screwdriver, what a stupid sod i was, cause i scrashed the new paintwork when i slipped on more than one occasion, then mr windscreen man came to change a windscreen at work for me, gets talking and low and behold, A PROPPER TOOL, so i took the tool away and made my own, with some welding rod , and strenghtened it with solder, problem still don't know if it works, i haven't got around to fitting the windscreen yet, waiting for respray first, she needs a new coat plus lacour. but i would go with a proper tool. :wales:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users