19 replies to this topic

#1 danielryan112

danielryan112

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

It hurts me to say this, I have to sell my beautiful mini to fund the rest of my degree. I have owned it for just over 6 months now and have loved every minute in it.

It's a Black 1989 Mini Thirty, with white roof. It has had the John Cooper Conversion kit. Original interior, slight wear and tear. Just over 69k miles on the clock. I only have history from the last 10 years, I have a dyno printout showing 70bhp.

I have no clue how much it is worth as it was given to me by a family friend who felt generous and gave it to me.

I will attach all the photos that I have at the moment, I can take more if required.

Please could you give me an idea of what you think it's worth. It really upsets me that I have to sell it, university is much more expensive than I planned for!

Cheers for all you help in advance.

Dan

Attached Files

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

When you say 70hp dyno result, then I assume it's not it's original 998 but a 1275 replacement unit, do you have a receipt for the JCW conversion ?

This will affect the valuation.

Also not that the pictures are dated Feb 2009, do you have current pictures ( a lot can change in a year )

Edited by Guess-Works.com, 19 January 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#3 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

When you say 70hp dyno result, then I assume it's not it's original 998 but a 1275 replacement unit, do you have a receipt for the JCW conversion ?

Also not that the pictures are dated Feb 2009, do you have current pictures ( a lot can change in a year )

the kit for these was a head and double carbs wasnt it? should still be a 998

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

the kit for these was a head and double carbs wasnt it? should still be a 998

My thoughts exactly, but getting 70hp from a head a twins would be pushing it a bit...

#5 danielryan112

danielryan112

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hi Guys,

it is the 998 block with the following:

This is the list of the conversion from http://www.cooperspo...o.uk/page11.htm.

I do not have a receipt for this as I only have history from the last 10 years, however I have contacted the garage where the car was sold and hopefully getting some kind proof in the near future.

998cc twin carb kit
The cylinder head was developed in conjuction with Cooper's old friend Jan Odor and his company Janspeed Engineering.
The kit consisted of:
a perfomance cylinder head had larger inlet valves, exhaust valves with a 9.8:1 compression ratio, topped off with an alloy rocker cover.
An alloy inlet manifold, twin 1 1/4" S.U. carburettors with matching performance air filters.
A long centre branch exhaust manifold with matching twin silencer.
This lifted the BHP from 41 to 60, the Torque from 42lb.ft to 64lb.ft and the 0-60 time down to 12.6 seconds (some 6 seconds quicker than the standard 998.

I have had the car serviced recently by the guy that builds my dads race car and he said that all of this is there, it does have a janspeed inlet and stainless steel exhaust which could explain why it has 70bhp.

Forgot to mention the car is taxed and mot'd.

Regarding the pictures, they were taken in november, I do not know why it says february as I didn't even own the car then!

Appreciate all the help guys, sorry to be a hassle I just want to make sure I get the right price as there are so many minis out there at hugely different prices.

if there are any other questions please let me know and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks again

#6 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

70bhp at the wheels or fly?

#7 danielryan112

danielryan112

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

I can only assume it's at the fly as the dyno printout only says "MAX 70HP at 5133rpm"

I hope this helps

cheers

#8 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

All very interesting ... what do you want for it ???

#9 danielryan112

danielryan112

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

What would you value it at? I don't really have much of an idea of the value.

I have been thinking £2500 ono.

what do people think about that as an asking price?

too much or potentially too little?

#10 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

It is a very popular Limited Edition, and in its original form it was a 998cc car as you know. These 30's are very popular with new drivers but the engine mods will make it more expensive to insure, and less desireable in the eyes of parents who are funding the purchase.

Ask £2.5K and see who comes beating to your door, you only need the one buyer!

#11 PaulF

PaulF

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

you have a pm :-

#12 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

I think it's worth AT LEAST £2500, would be more like £3000/£3500 if the roof was painted black again, and all original fixtures replaced, rear lights, indicators, grille etc, to someone who really wants it. It's my favourite Ltd edition, and in black with that engine.. :-

Edited by panelbeaterpeter, 21 January 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#13 danielryan112

danielryan112

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the money to do all these things to it, otherwise I would keep the car and sell it myself.

I am going to sell it in its current condition, will £2500 be a good value for it in current condition?

I think it's worth AT LEAST £2500, would be more like £3000/£3500 if the roof was painted black again, and all original fixtures replaced, rear lights, indicators, grille etc, to someone who really wants it. It's my favourite Ltd edition, and in black with that engine.. :-

#14 slyoldfox2001

slyoldfox2001

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

I think £2.5K is on the low side...............however................it should sell quite quick !!

Good luck with the sale

#15 danielryan112

danielryan112

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for all your help guys,

I've got someone who contacted me directly and is coming on saturday, i've asked £2500 and if I get that then I will take it.

If not then I shall advertise it elsewhere soon for £3k.

Hopefully one day I will be able to afford to have another mini, loved every minute in it

I think £2.5K is on the low side...............however................it should sell quite quick !!

Good luck with the sale

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users