Photo

Americans Just Don't Understand

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#31 Trail of Dead

Trail of Dead

taught his mini only to kill those who deserve it....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

Here is a better version....actually it is the full episode from Project Free TV. It is from Season 6, it is Episode 12 "Long John Peter". Enjoy!

#32 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Actually I like the look of that Douchenberger.
Do you think they're prone to rust ?

Looked rot free and so much quieter than a Mini - I'd buy one :shifty:

#33 Laaly_30

Laaly_30

Previously know as sbsbemey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

must be a Douchenberger.... its too quiet on the motorway to be a mini! hehe

#34 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

I love Kings of Queens

Spoiler

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 24 January 2010 - 05:25 PM.

#35 floydrob

floydrob

Mini Mad

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

thats a pretty poor show. lol

OH! i have an idea! lets stick a chevrolet camaro in eastenders, and call it a penis extention built in antartica. oooh...it's hilareous! (sarcasim)*

#36 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Family Guy, 'Long John Peter'.

my favourite episode ever!

#37 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:34 AM

As a come back at America (okay we're talking about a crazy but obscure film from 1969 here that starred everyone including Ringo Starr of The Beatles), I think they did it pretty well. Just listen to what Peter Sellers has so say at around 1:55 in this clip and then see what American style monstrosity is considered in that animated film: -

Ajc0VDbxpdE

The old bloke with the Cigar was actor 'Fred Emney', who you may recall was the old bloke who planted those electronic devices to knock out the CCTV cameras in 'The Italian Job'?

Oh and check out the priestess of the whip and the naked galley slave girls at 2:10 & 2:32 in the movie trailer: -

WaLMsZU6NaY

So there take that you Americans you.

:lol:

The soundtrack song might sound familiar too?: -

X06EJfdNTe0

Edited by taffy1967, 25 January 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#38 bjielsl

bjielsl

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local Club: NOPE

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

Did you really expect factual accuracy from americans, seriously!

I'm American and I don't. I don't believe anything on TV regardless of the country of origin. Hell, my favorite show is Top Gear and Jay Leno stole ideas from that show.

#39 timmins

timmins

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Local Club: Mid Atlantic Minis

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

I love King of Queens.

I'm English and moved to the USA a couple of years ago. I'm driving a white '78 Clubman as my daily driver, you wouldn't believe the looks it gets! Americans tend to have the mentality that the bigger your car, the more of a man you are. So driving a mini around is pretty much like walking around with no trousers on. No one can understand why you'd do it.

It's pretty terrifying being surrounded by Escalades and Ford F-250 pickups though.

#40 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:15 AM

Is Escalades Spanish for ladder?

#41 WillMini

WillMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

yeah, it is scary being surrounded by giant trucks and such, Toronto's not as bad as the rest of Canada or the US but there are still many large vehicles. But people love them here. Its very multicultural and there are lots of immigrants from Trinidad and Jamaica in my area and they LOVE minis. They go nuts when i drive by, and in parking lots they are always coming up to me and telling about how they learned to drive on one and their families back home race them. Its pretty cool, you here lots of crazy stories.

#42 Trail of Dead

Trail of Dead

taught his mini only to kill those who deserve it....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

I love King of Queens.

I'm English and moved to the USA a couple of years ago. I'm driving a white '78 Clubman as my daily driver, you wouldn't believe the looks it gets! Americans tend to have the mentality that the bigger your car, the more of a man you are. So driving a mini around is pretty much like walking around with no trousers on. No one can understand why you'd do it.

It's pretty terrifying being surrounded by Escalades and Ford F-250 pickups though.

That is EXACTLY what I am worried about. My home town has true "Rednecks"....the kind that drive F250s that require step ladders to get inside, and once you get in it you see a big gun rack with 2 shotguns and 3 deer rifles. CRAZY rednecks. I'm worried my Mini might draw unwanted attention, possibly get damaged for fun. Your right, Americans....well the younger ones ( the demographic is probably from 35 years old down to 12 years old...all males of course) just don't understand. How could they? The Mini was officially in the states in the Mid sixties (and gone only a few years later).....heck my Dad had just graduated from High-school when the Mini was being sold in the US.

So these younger Americans are going to see the classic Mini and a good amount of them are going to poke fun, plot about "egging" it while it its parked. I'm sure many are going to plan getting a few buddies gathered up so they can pickup the Mini and move it somewhere else. I've been to a few parties back home where guys did that to small cars.

There will be some Americans that will absolutely LOVE the car, but far more will scoff at it. You have to understand the difference between us (American/Brit). I understand you guys are being sarcastic but often times true feelings shine through sarcasm. America is HUGE. Great Britain is tiny. We have big houses and garages (with big yards), you have teeny tiny houses with even smaller garages (with small gardens). We have oil producing states, you guys have to get your oil from Libya and other places, there are no oil producing places in the UK. Many of you grew up watching "Dr. Who", I grew up watching Inspector Gadget and Transformers (and Fraggle Rock!!!). You eat beans on toast, we ate hot dogs. We have screens on our Windows, I have yet to see a British house with screens (do you guys like Mosquitos!?).

I am saying we are different. We don't "understand" because we aren't British (well....I should say, no longer British). Many Brits (especially Clarkson) don't understand why the Ford Mustang does so well in sales. They say it has antique rear suspension, and that America has no turns in the roads. That is true when one of the most popular states is California, where you can drive 500 miles in a straight line. But everywhere I have been in the US would give a Maserati or Aston Martin a SERIOUS run for it's money. I have driven some tight turns. My Mustang GT excelled in tight corners. LOTS of grip, the "old" solid axle setup worked just fine. I guess the whole point to my rant is it's just fine to poke fun, seriously....I find the British funny all the time. But it is good to know "why" we are different, "how" we are different" and truly understand the reasons. This whole thing about Americans vs. Britain (well, actually vs. The World) is kind of old news.

Please don't flame me, I am just making a valid point. I'm not offended, just making a serious point is all. ^_^

Edited by Trail of Dead, 27 January 2010 - 04:03 PM.

#43 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Local Club: none at the moment

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

I built some minis for guys that worked at mildenhall and they have now taken them back to the states.mildenhall is like little america but on our land.Do we have the same setup in your country?.trail of dead.

You have some great stuff in those shops down there.
I made some good friends down there and just because they are american and different to us doesn't really matter.

#44 samski

samski

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

hahaha was quite good. truck thing is so true lol

#45 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

I've been to Titusville ToD, went to the drake oil well museum. My dad has a "half-breed" oilfield engine from the pennsylvania fields that some friends of ours shipped over a few years ago. England does actually produce some of its own oil - there are a lot of wells around sherwood forest and up towards doncaster :( Most of the americans we know are really into old stuff, and would really appreciate the mini, its just the ignorant rednecks that give the country its reputation for stupidity - kind of like judging everyone in britain on the cranial capacity of your average chav scratter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users