Photo

Would Anyone Use This?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: 360 viewer, is it worth it? (179 member(s) have cast votes)

should I make this application like pugmodder for the mini, or give it a 360 viewer?

1. keep it like pugmodder (27 votes [15.08%])

Percentage of vote: 15.08%

2. give it a 360 viewer (152 votes [84.92%])

Percentage of vote: 84.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 strugglingstudent

strugglingstudent

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Hi all, im a web development student looking for ideas for my final year project. I know alot of you post requests in this section for simple things like a bonnet colour change, or what your mini would look like with a different set of arches... stuff like that. At the moment I havve made a very accurate 3-D model of a mini which you can spin 360 degrees to see what it would look like from every angle. The application would allow you to do simple things such as change the colour of individual panels or the whole car, change the wheels for different types/sizes, higher or lower the mini, change the arches.. basically most of the normal things you would change/customise on your minis. Just wanted to get some feedback if anyone would use this as once you have finished 'pimping your mini' the program allows you to take a picture of it and save it so you could use it for signatures or just to give you an idea of what your proposed modifications would look like very accurately. You would be able to use this program via the web so you wouldn't need to download anything to make it work.

Any thoughts you guys have about it would be greatly appreciated as if the consensus is that no-one would use it I probably wont continue with the project.

If this is something you thing you might use please let me know if there are any features/things you would definitely want it to include.

Thanks Guys

Edited by strugglingstudent, 27 January 2010 - 11:13 PM.

#2 grainge231

grainge231

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

this sounds really good. maybe have some kind of underbonnet view, or flipfront. although i imaging tghe whole engine bay will have to have alot of work put into it to make it detailed

#3 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

I'm looking for help on a flash based piece where people can set the colour of the mini, and then add generic graphics of various colours:

bonnet stripes, roof decals, door numbers etc etc - and for it to give you a price as it goes along and then the facility to press a 'buy it now' button.

I have other things I'd like help with also along the lines of this.

^_^

#4 strugglingstudent

strugglingstudent

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

I'm looking for help on a flash based piece where people can set the colour of the mini, and then add generic graphics of various colours:

bonnet stripes, roof decals, door numbers etc etc - and for it to give you a price as it goes along and then the facility to press a 'buy it now' button.

I have other things I'd like help with also along the lines of this.

^_^

that is kind of what i would be implementing with this system if you changed the arches for say group 2 wides, it would tell you where u could get it from and give you a price, also a direct link to the site

#5 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Great idea!
I have seen something like this before, but it was VERY crude and didnt give you many options.

I do have one request if I may, and It will quadruple your workload
Can you do it for saloon minis, Pick ups, estates and Vans?! That would be the ultimate mini styling tool?!

#6 grainge231

grainge231

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

you may be able to get support from various mini websites if you have links to there sites from the certain products. im pretty sure some companys can give you a %of the money spent in there store if it comes linked from your site

Edited by grainge231, 27 January 2010 - 03:37 PM.

#7 strugglingstudent

strugglingstudent

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Great idea!
I have seen something like this before, but it was VERY crude and didnt give you many options.

I do have one request if I may, and It will quadruple your workload
Can you do it for saloon minis, Pick ups, estates and Vans?! That would be the ultimate mini styling tool?!

At first i will be doing it for the standard mini, but with the ability to put a different front on it, clubby front etc, as wel as the ability to add smoothy boot skins and things like that, once that is done I will move onto all the other types of mini's created. It wont make my workload much larger, because all i would have to do is make the models, the system would still be in place to modify them easily. With resepect to what you have seen before, this will not be crude, in terms of graphical quality, the models will be similar to those in FORZA3 or any high end racing game, it would be fine to create something simple if it was just some silly online game but Im very aware that if there are any discrepancies between the models and the real life objects everybody would notice immediately so I am spending quality time making sure these models are highly accurate and detailed. If the system gets good response from people I might do an interior version to compliment the exterior.

#8 strugglingstudent

strugglingstudent

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

you may be able to get support from various mini websites if you have links to there sites from the certain products. im pretty sure some companys can give you a %of the money spent in there store if it comes linked from your site

Yeh ive looked into referral schemes from the sites in terms of affiliate programs, Im not trying to make money from this, if I did awesome but the focus is on creating something that everyone can use because it is simple. You wouldnt have to be a photoshop whizz then, just able to click a mouse button or something ^_^

#9 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

sounds really good, keep it up

#10 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

http://www.pugmodder.com/

Similar website for Peugeot 106's..

Very good idea if you can do it well..

#11 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

yes i would of loved this two years ago would of saved me so much money as i bought a lot of bit and not used them as i didn't like them once fitted.

#12 Body stylist

Body stylist

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

id be interested if you could do it with our different kits, bonnets, arches etc and would offer discounts for links....

#13 mini_stella

mini_stella

Has A Lovely Sandy Bottom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

Sounds like it has a lot of potential for use within modifying cars, although it would need to be idiot proof!!! Good luck with your project!!! And keep us updated with how it is progressing!! :(

#14 Pending

Pending

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

if it turns out like that pugmodder, then this will become OUR new bible

#15 strugglingstudent

strugglingstudent

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

if it turns out like that pugmodder, then this will become OUR new bible

to make it like pugmodder, would be fairly simple. but what about the ability to spin your modified mini around 360 to be able to see it from every angle? do people care about this? or would people just want to see it from a few different angles?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users