njathind

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Local Club: Chichester Mini Club

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hi all

I have just brought a 1998 rover mini cooper 1.3 SPI, I will be 17 at the end of april and so I intend to fix EVERYTHING with it before I learn to drive in it, I want to seal the chassis to protect it against any rust from forming after I have treated it and so need to rest the car on axle stands, I have found the appropriate points to jack the car and rest the axle stands with the aid of a haynes manual but there is not enough room to jack the car and rest it on axle stands.

I NEED HELP

Where should I jack the car from and where should i put the axle stands

[BY THE WAY I'M USING A 2TON TROLLEY JACK TO RAISE MY MINI]

:lol:

Many thanks in advance

#2 Rasmus Holst

Rasmus Holst

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

When i raise the car that much i tend to put a piece of wood across the front subframe and raise it with at trolley jack.
Then i place the axle stands on the subframe (as wide as possible) and do the same thing at the back. I don't know if it is mentioned in the Haynes manual but another good "trick" is to put the tire beneath the suspention or floor of the car. That way if something happens, the car falls down on the rim / tyre - not you!

Posted Image

Edit: picture size

Edited by Rasmus Holst, 31 January 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#3 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

Dont normaly say this because the search is abismal sometimes, but if you search the forum theres a few photos with the highlighted areas of the front and rear subframes where to place a jack. But its basicaly the flat area under the bottom arm pins either side of the front subframe and the flat area of the rear subframe (either side, cant miss it) you can also jack up on the tie rod mounts at the front of the front subby but you have to watch you dont bend the tie rods.

Place the axel stands just behind where you place the jack.

Edited by Pauly, 31 January 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

Never mind the car falling on you watch out some one put a bloody great pit near you R H!

#5 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

i just jack it on the sump then get axelstands on the front subby, some people say not to do this way but works a treat for me (even tho i have to jack it up on the subby, let it down and get the jack under the sump really quickly before it settles lol...)

Edited by rick.spi, 31 January 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#6 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

i just jack it on the sump then get axelstands on the front subby, some people say not to do this way but works a treat for me (even tho i have to jack it up on the subby, let it down and get the jack under the sump really quickly before it settles lol...)

NEVER EVER JACK ON THE SUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes i needed to shout.

its dangerous and can cause your engine mounts (which are just rubber ) to fail.

use the flat points on the subframe at the front behind the wheel (i think i am doing this from memory)

but never under any circumstances use the sump or engine to jack up your car!!!!

YetI

#7 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi all

I have just brought a 1998 rover mini cooper 1.3 SPI

On a side note, SPI minis were made from 1992 -1996. All 1998 minis are MPI. The easy way to tell is MPI's have front mounted radiators, and SPI's all have side mounted radiators (unless air con is involved, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it).

#8 Rasmus Holst

Rasmus Holst

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Never mind the car falling on you watch out some one put a bloody great pit near you R H!

;)

#9 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

While your at it, pull up the carpets and check underneath for any bulges ;)

Otherwise

Clicky

Hth

#10 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

what about jacking up on the sump guard? or does that depend on what guard it is

#11 njathind

njathind

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hi all

On a side note, SPI minis were made from 1992 -1996. All 1998 minis are MPI. The easy way to tell is MPI's have front mounted radiators, and SPI's all have side mounted radiators (unless air con is involved, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it).

O.M.G, even better, thanks for cheering up my day, I can now brag I have a RARE MPI mini cooper

Many thanks
;)

#12 njathind

njathind

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

what about jacking up on the sump guard? or does that depend on what guard it is

Good idea but I have heard horror stories of the engine poping out the bonnet when you jack on the sump/sump gaurd

#13 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Hi all

O.M.G, even better, thanks for cheering up my day, I can now brag I have a RARE MPI mini cooper

Many thanks
;)

there not as rare as you think, infact there plenty of mpi mini's around... sorry :S

Edited by rick.spi, 31 January 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#14 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

In theory you shouldn't jack up by the sump. BUT, i did for well over a year with a big block of wood on top of the jack, and its NEVER affected the car. The rubbers are well over 2 years old now and still no signs of deterioration yet.

But I don't anymore as the car is too low and i have a different jack. I now do it under the front tie rod mounts as its the only place i can fit the jack, and the subframe is fully solid mounted.

#15 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

Hi all

could be late registered!? if your radiator is side mounted its SPI, if its at the front then its MPI!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users