Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

Hi all

I have just brought a 1998 rover mini cooper 1.3 SPI

On a side note, SPI minis were made from 1992 -1996. All 1998 minis are MPI. The easy way to tell is MPI's have front mounted radiators, and SPI's all have side mounted radiators (unless air con is involved, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it).

could be late registered!? if your radiator is side mounted its SPI, if its at the front then its MPI!

i think im right in saying some very early mpi's in some cases had side mounted rads...

Edited by rick.spi, 31 January 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#17 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hi all

On a side note, SPI minis were made from 1992 -1996. All 1998 minis are MPI. The easy way to tell is MPI's have front mounted radiators, and SPI's all have side mounted radiators (unless air con is involved, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it).

could be late registered!? if your radiator is side mounted its SPI, if its at the front then its MPI!

i think im right in saying some very early mpi's in some cases had side mounted rads...

is that like the first few hundred? my mate has a S reg, so 98 mpi sportspack, and his rad is front mounted?

#18 njathind

njathind

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Local Club: Chichester Mini Club

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hi all

My radiator is definatly front mounted and its registered on a 1998 plate so it must be a MPI, Many thanks for the usefull info

:(

#19 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about Minis

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

i just jack it on the sump then get axelstands on the front subby, some people say not to do this way but works a treat for me (even tho i have to jack it up on the subby, let it down and get the jack under the sump really quickly before it settles lol...)

Lol, that's the worst advice I've ever read on this forum... Imagine the entire weight of the chassis hanging from those tiny rubber mounts! They're designed to work in compression, not tension.

Jack up and support pretty much any substantial part of the subframe and you'll be fine.

Edited by beentheunseen, 01 February 2010 - 08:31 PM.

#20 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

jack it from the sump witha piece of wood between them and then put axle stands on the strongest part of the subframe thats how i do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users