7 replies to this topic

#1 Mini_bitz

Mini_bitz

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:12 AM

mini wont start, majority of the time there is just a clicking noise, and then nothing; i've heard this could be the starter motor or the solenoid?... It is definately not a flat battery have checked and got full charge.

Its weird because sometimes mini will be absolutely fine all day, starting first time. And then when you stop it decides its had enough, makes me wonder if its just a loose connection. Any pointers where to look?

Any help is appreciated. Thanx sarah

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

Sounds like there is a dodgy connection between the solenoid and the starter.

Do you always get the clicking noise when it won't start?

#3 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

It is definately not a flat battery have checked and got full charge

I wouldn't rule out a flat battery just yet, i've had this problem on a few cars, the battery can read fully charged and still have dead cells. I had cars with clicky starters and a jump start will get it started but the next time you turn it off and try again same happens. The starter soleniod could be another possibility try putting the car in gear and with the handbrake off rock it back and forth it can sometimes free it off. Then try starting again remembering to take it out of gear :grin: Trust me i've forgot loads!! Another is get a length of wood or socket extension bar and tap the starter solenoid .

Good luck let us know how you get on

Karl

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:36 AM

the click is the solinois switching. If it was a flat battery then usually you would get a splutter from the motor. The first thing to do that as said is check the conections, I have had a cable thatwasnt passing current before but looked comletly fine from the out side. If this is not the case then a strip down of the motor/ or an exchange should sort you out.

#5 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

The fact that the starter is clicking proves that the circuit is working. The + lead from the battery connects straight to the starter and the ignition switch connects to the soleniod. The way to check a bad earth is when turning the engine over get a friend to feel all the earth cables if they get warm/hot then they are not up to the job but to do this you will need a decent battery! My moneys on the battery or the starter!

Karl

P.S the wifes MX-5 has this problem right now if she doesn't drive it for a couple of days the starter will just click. A jump start gets it going no problems, same happened last winter a weak battery doesn't like the cold weather!

#6 nagrub

nagrub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

I get this every now and then.

when you turn the key, it just goes... 'GONK' and nothing gets to the engine, not even a splutter. Apparently, I heard that the starnet motor sometimes just gets stuck. So if you t**t it with a rubber mallet that fixes it sometimes. I bounced it, pushing down on the wing up and down for about 10 sec, sometimes that works. Failing all of these, just push it allong, get some speed, jump in, drop it into second. ta daaaa, engine springs to life. Bear in mind that the last one there can sometimes get a bit hairy. lol.

#7 JackBeard

JackBeard

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

I've been having the same problem. It's definitely not a problem with my battery as it's brand new, the car jumps fine from another car, but as soon as I cut it, the clicking starts again. So I've narrowed it down to a knackered starter motor.

#8 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Are we talking about a inertia starter with solenoid on the wing, if so bridge the 2 contacts if it cranks the solenoid is faulty if it does not crank then and your sure all the connections are good its internal on the starter and could be dirty comm.worn brushes/ dead segments on comm or just a tired worn out starter motor, same tests apply for the pre-engaged.

Ensure all battery connections and earths are good first though and check for volt drop to identify bad connections as here http://www.theminifo...ring-volt-drop/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users