#1 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

recently bought 2 wipac driving lamps and brackets from minispares, and i had a set of mitsubishi piaa bumper mounted driving lamps which have been lying in the garage for a long time, so i decided to take that and modify the wipac lights to accept the mitsubishi lighting loom which has the same lamps in the lights, and now i have a relay and fuse in a holder, and all the wiring correct for installing to the car (battery +ve and -ve, and a 'remote' cable to switch the relay off the headlights to turn the driving lamps on)

now, how do i fit the brackets to the car, and what circuit do i connect the driving lamps to? the mitsubishi instruction leaflet says sidelights, and the wipac instruction leaflet says main beam?

now this circuit will turn the lamps on when the appropriate lights are switched on, but i have an unused on/off switch in the car i may put in line with the 'remote' so i can choose to have them operational or not.

Edited by Carlzilla, 03 February 2010 - 08:17 PM.

#2 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

anybody?

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

yes lots of topics and wiring diagrams on the forum

#4 IainR

IainR

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

I wouldn't think you would want the lights to come on with your side lights (that must be illegal), mine are wired via a relay to the main beam circuit. Without a dip beam in the spots they could only be wired through the main beam, or as you suggest switched separately. With the main beam option it means all lights come on as you flash the headlights, that always looks cool.

Edited by IainR, 04 February 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#5 enigma

enigma

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Local Club: moles mini club

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

as bungle says wiring stuff on here i believe.couple tips,one for circuit protection,the other i believe a legal requirement and good idea!
firstly run the lights through a relay,simple to do, grab a live supply off the appropriate terminal on your starter solenoid,with the relay switched by the main beam wiring.this will be covered elsewhere i believe.the other, wire it through a switch so you can turn off the spots independantly of the main beam think this is supposed to be legal one aswell.i did it on mine as i have 100watt rally cibies on the front of mine and if you flash someone to let them go etc its blinding!! hope this helps,enigma

#6 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

right, thanks for that, i already have the loom for the driving lamps made up prior to creating this topic, perm live, to 20a fuse, through a relay which takes its switch wire off which ive now made out to be the main beam, which i will probably put a switch inline with.

now all im confused about is fitting the brackets to the car, ive had a search on the forum and used the search bar but couldnt find anything about it, can anyone find a link please?

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

gota link to the brackets ?

#8 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

http://www.minispare...=...&title=LAMP BRACKET S/STEEL FOR ...

that bracket bungle :lol:

(copy and paste the whole first line into the adress bar)

Edited by Carlzilla, 05 February 2010 - 10:25 PM.

#9 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

http://www.minispare...=...&title=LAMP BRACKET S/STEEL FOR ...

that bracket bungle :lol:

(copy and paste the whole first line into the adress bar)

They fit to the valence of the car! the picture shows the right way up, and the valence has a slight step in it which will determine which way round the bracket goes. If i remember correctly the side with the fixed bolt fits closest to the grill. The lamp then easily fits through the whole at the top of the bracket.

I found the lamps still tended to vibrate, so i fitted some universal lamp steady bars also, but see how you go!

#10 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

so do i need to remove the bumper and drill the valance to fit that bolt through?

#11 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

so do i need to remove the bumper and drill the valance to fit that bolt through?

yes.

Maybe someone else can help you with the correct way round to fit the bracket. I am double doubting myself at the mo.

Edited by minisilverbullet, 05 February 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#12 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

thanks silverbullet, ill have a look and fit them tomorrow after ive tensioned the drive belt and given fecky a good wash :lol:

#13 jameslearwood

jameslearwood

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Local Club: ALL ALONE

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

thanks silverbullet, ill have a look and fit them tomorrow after ive tensioned the drive belt and given fecky a good wash :lol:

Just fitted two wipac lights to my mini rio 1993 unfortunatly im having difficulty wiring them up which hopefully i will finally sort tomorrow if it stops raining.

In terms of fitting the brackets this is the exact ones i fitted this confused me at first. you need to take the front bumper off aswell as the grille.
When you do this there should already be two predrilled holes the part of the bracket with the bolt fixed will go under the bumper then the u shaped opposite closest to the grille so in effect this will be behind the grille you will have too supply the bolt and nuts yourself thus leaving the almost upside down 7 pointing up it is this that you attach the lights two

The one difficulty you may have is if the holes are already pre drilled and you use them the hole behind the grille is slightly out so you need to get the bolt lined up perfectly and also ensure the nuts are absolutly solid secure as the car vibrations will cause the nuts to unscrew.

I know that is long winded but hope it helps.

#14 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:12 AM

Does this old Rover guide help?: -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image