#1 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Just thought i'd start a thread detailing the build of my Honda blackbird powered Zcars racer. If you look at a few of my previous posts you'll see i've had a bit of a 'mare after getting ripped of buying what was effectively a Zcars kit copy. So after getting the real thing recently i've finally been able to start my build.

I had a bit of a problem getting the front frame to fit the shell, owing mostly to the fact the shell had probably been hit at some stage. You can just about see the gap between the lower legs & the floor pan/bulkhead. As the £200 shell i'm using needed a bit of work i've replaced the front floor pans, all of the sills & the inner arch. That way the new panels could be made to fit the frame without spacers. Had to strengthen the shell with a temporary cage of sorts, to keep its shape while the welding was done!

Adam.

Attached Files

Edited by alowry, 05 February 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#2 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

Welded up the large hole in the bulkhead & added some box section to the area between the rear wings & the sills to give a little extra stiffness. Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by alowry, 05 February 2010 - 11:24 PM.

#3 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

Welcome to the fold and best of luck with the build.

I look forward to the updates.......

#4 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

Nice to see another project getting going goood luck with it

#5 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

Hello Adam,
I recognise that frame!!

Cheers
David

#6 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

Hello Adam,
I recognise that frame!!

Cheers
David

Ha ha, i've had it so long that Zcars have changed the design of the rear feet slightly & it took some serious messing about to get it all to fit!!

#7 smithylee

smithylee

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

do the zcars kits come with everything you need to build and get running?

even the loom ready to fit etc?

thanks

#8 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

do the zcars kits come with everything you need to build and get running?

even the loom ready to fit etc?

thanks

Check out the official Zcars site, it details whats included in the kits but yeah they can supply everything.

#9 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Few more picture's. The frame's back in & trial fitted with all the holes drilled, fits perfectly now.
I'm glad I used an older shell as i've been able to make the new sills, floor pans & bulkhead fit the frame perfectly for a lot less than the cost of a new shell & it resolved my problem with needing a spacer between the bulkhead & rear legs on the front tubular frame.
So the frames about to come out again this week for the shell to be seam welded & readied for paint inside.
I'm not going to get the outside painted until the builds nearly done so I wont have to worry about damaging it.
My only major worry at the moment(apart from funds) is the car's going to end up a little too perfect for a racer. I'd always intended keeping it road legal but it's going to be tough pushing it hard on hillclimbs if it looks like a new car! That said it's being done on a tight budget so hopefully I don't worry about it too much.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

looking good adam
not a bad idea to weld the floor in around the frame to suit
i had a week in california with my usa agent building a car recently and came up with a simple dodge to get the bulkhead /subframe feet to fit better i simply cut away a small section in the part where the subframe foot sits and welded a small plate back in once the frame was in its best position
i had a welder so its no drama but it made a good job and took about 15 mins to do
keep us posted on the car
chris

#11 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

looking good adam
not a bad idea to weld the floor in around the frame to suit
i had a week in california with my usa agent building a car recently and came up with a simple dodge to get the bulkhead /subframe feet to fit better i simply cut away a small section in the part where the subframe foot sits and welded a small plate back in once the frame was in its best position
i had a welder so its no drama but it made a good job and took about 15 mins to do
keep us posted on the car
chris

I tried the same thing myself but the floor need replacing anyway so I went that route.
Having a usa agent to visit's quite a perk of the job! hope you're going to let Richard find an excuse to go!

Adam.

#12 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

no this is the one perk i get although the time difference plays with your brain for a few days they are 8 hrs behind us so you end up a bit frazzled to start with
the other perk i suppose is having a race car that gordon brown cant tax me on
after all its a dirty job that i have to do to demonstrate the cars so i can sell them
i hate it but what can i do
somebodys got to drive the car
chris

#13 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Few new picture's. The inside etc is now in a new coat of old english white 2 pack. Took me ages to decide on a colour but I think the old cream/white should look nice with carbon miglia arches & a black roof.
I decided to leave the external bodywork until i've the car nearly finished. That way I won't have to worry about damaging it as I build it!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Adam.

#14 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

Havn't got much done recently due to being knackered all the time with a new baby. Here's a few picture's of the blackbirds fuel pump being fitted into my alloy tank.

http://i291.photobuc...ar/Photo125.jpg
http://i291.photobuc...ar/Photo124.jpg

I've made up a alloy plate to stiffen the inside of the tank, so it doesnt warp when I bolt up the pump & secured it using rivnuts. The pumps mounted with a 3mm gasket made from a cork & rubber fuel sealing mat. Sealed it up perfectly & saved me having to buy an external pump & filter.

#15 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Been working on the car again after a long break due to other commitments, few pic's to follow.

Edited by alowry, 21 May 2011 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users