22 replies to this topic

#1 steelelfc

steelelfc

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Why Do Mini's Rust So Badly? Are they made of inferior steel? Its depressing to see 2000 X plate Rover Mini's with only 40k on the clock and rusting like hell. Whats the story behind that?

#2 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

For later minis, putting them together when the metal was already starting to rust probably didn't help. I think they used to keep the steel outside, uncovered.

#3 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

Steel rusts, not much you can do to stop it. You can slow it down, but thats all...

#4 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

Mini bodyshells were always assembled by hand. Your skins secreets (spelling) acids which corrodes the steel.
That together with inferior corrosion protection and cheap paintjobs by the factory means they rot very quickly.

Paul

#5 Deev

Deev

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

All Minis rust shamelessly, but the last run (most of the later MPi models) were made of even worse quality steel than before so, ludicrously, the "newest" Minis generally fare worse than older ones!

#6 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

I think it makes a difference if they were garaged or not from new, my 2000 mpi had just a small bubble appear on the scuttle in the centre of the screen which i have sorted & is just starting to show on the seams under the headlamps but apart from that its as good as new :thumbsup:

#7 steelelfc

steelelfc

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

So its Austin, British Leyland & Rover to blame for cost cutting then?

#8 Minigirl

Minigirl

With Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

no just rover
the older minis are generally a bit more solid but all minis rust garaged or not you just dont worry about it until it becomes structural then you replace the panel

#9 Mr E

Mr E

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Clan

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

British weather and the amount of salt thrown about the roads in winter. Look at any Japanese import minis and they are usually rust free

#10 steelelfc

steelelfc

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

British weather and the amount of salt thrown about the roads in winter. Look at any Japanese import minis and they are usually rust free

Thats true, although comparing my girlfriends Seat Ibiza with a same mileage, same year Mini, The Seat is rust free while the mini is starting to go underneath the headlights, Scuttle & A Panels

#11 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

makes you think twice about a 4k respray lol. davids isopon p38 and rattle cans here we come :thumbsup:

#12 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

But most other cars are galvanised, my 01 lupo hasn't got a spec of rust anywhere.

#13 Deev

Deev

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

But most other cars are galvanised, my 01 lupo hasn't got a spec of rust anywhere.

VAG cars are constructed using witchcraft though - they just don't rust. It's not natural I tell thee.

#14 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

VAG cars are constructed using witchcraft though - they just don't rust. It's not natural I tell thee.

you haven't seen the Brizilan built camper vans have you, 5 year old vans with more rust than my 34 year old German built van

#15 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

Remember the mini's bodyshell in principle was a 40 year old design. Cars designed and built in 1999 not only have their steel nickel coated, but also have far superior body designs to keep condensation out of welded seams.

I agree that new cars probably don't have human hands touch them as much, but Rover employees would have worn gloves to stop cuts. Our brand new 1994 mini was rusting within 2 years of owning it, yet my 1992 Rover 214SI never had a bit of rust on it when we sold it in 2000.

You'll find they just didn't spend money improving the corrosion resistance on a mini that they should have done. Perhaps it wasn't a priority and customers of mini's really didn't mind it happening.

Are the new BMH body shells any better? They are nickel coated like new cars, but I don't know anyone with one..... but at £4K each....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users