#1 Chewy

Chewy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

If i buy the mk1 window channels top and bottow could they be fixed to a mk3 wind up window door

#2 davejf

davejf

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 and Central Minis

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

Thats what has been done to mine. Just need to fold over part of the inner lip and add in a piece to connect it to the outer skin. Hopefully they will be done and properly on the car soon enough.

#3 Chewy

Chewy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Nice one - do u know anyone that has got any mk1 or mk2 door windows for sale

#4 davejf

davejf

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 and Central Minis

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

they are too small, the mk3 windows are approx 25mm taller. so you can either get some glass cut or get some perspex. i just bought the ones for mine which has kick started this conversion again... from plastics4performance.

#5 rodge052

rodge052

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: Mansfieldminiowners

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

i have performed this mod several times, you will require the mk1 glass set, top and botom channels (available from minispares or at the autojumble) the chrome runners and 2 peices of 1/2"x1/2" angle (same length as the chrome runner). first attached the angle to the top inner lip (where the wind up window comes out) either by welding or pot-rivets then offer up the chrome runner, you will have to remove a little from one end, then mark up a couple of fixing holes. fit the top rubber channel, fit the bottom channel to the chrome strip, place windows into bottom channel, carefully offer up the glass and bottom runner to the door, make sure the glass is seated correctly puss the chrome runner in and screw down through the rubber, fixing the rubber and chrome channel to the 1/2" angle. points to note retain the outer chrome strip you have with the wind up windows (looks good and provieds a good seal), wax oil the angle and the chrome runner. any question please ask will try and up load some pictures of mine, a picture paints athousand words, ps you will save loads of wieght as you can remove the winding mech and cut out some of the door.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

I'm sure you guys want to do this for a more classic look. However, for the life of me I can't see why you would go to the effort and expense. In the end you will be sacrificing the added comfort of better ventilation afforded by roll down windows. To each his own though.

#7 rodge052

rodge052

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: Mansfieldminiowners

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

i have converted mine as its more retro, have also fitted mk1 rear lights and external hinges (done porperly with correct a-panels) as much mk1 stuff as will fit. however do agree that wind down provide better ventilation but the weight saving is amazing.

#8 Nossedout

Nossedout

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

any pictures of doing this ?

#9 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

Remember that for road use the driver's side windows must be safety glass, not plastic. It seems that behind the driver, i.e. rear quarterlights, plastic is permissible. So you need to order safety glass in the correct size, with all the legally required markings. As long as you need flat glass, that is supposedly simple.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

You can use polycarbonate driver and front passenger door windows legally. Plastics4performance (see their web site) can make E-Marked side windows to fully comply if you are really worried about this, although in a classic car standard polycarbonate should not be a problem.

I have had 5 mm thick aircraft grade Perspex side and ear windows in my 1964 'S' for almost 20 years and not once has anyone questioned it at MoT or any other time.

It really won't be an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users