Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Darkscamp,

What does it say it is on the V5? There was a kind of amnesty running for old kitcars built before the fuss. Might be worth researching if it still operates. I think you needed an MoT certificate dated after the build.

#32 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

I am not sure if VOSA or the DVLA would be able to commit the resources to create an all-encompassing list of potential modifications to all makes of vehicle. Though I do think that there are other people with knowledge of the regulations that could create (or help to create) a list for their preffered vehicle type. Hence my idea of meeting up with this local IVA guru and showing him a list of usual mini modifications.

this is what ACE are trying to do with the help of communities like us

#33 Meepo

Meepo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

After reading the rules again, it appears to me its pretty clear as it says “In order to retain the original registration mark, the car must use the original unaltered bodyshell or a new bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt)”

The way I see it, simply drilling a hole in the bodyshell, really could be classed as altering the shell. So I guess whatever we change, whether its modified bulkheads, flip fronts, de-seaming, etc, etc we are at risk of ending up with an IVA test and a Q plate if it passes.

#34 old original

old original

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

We can all give opinions, but the only way you'll know for sure is you are collared and told you need an IVA.

The ERA's were sold by Rover dealers and built out of Rover production cars so they can hardly claim they weren't approved by Rover. The production run was probably small enough to avoid any major type approval regulations, I'd think they would each have needed an SVA if their modifications justified it.

Metro Turbo was launched at the end of 1982, Q plates date back to 1983, the SVA was introduced in 1998.

As far as ERAs are concerned...
I still have (somewhere) a couple of letters from ERA dated around August/September 1989, one apologising for the delay in delivery because they were awaiting "Type Approval" and another a few weeks later advising the Type Approval had been gained and production was moving forward, so I'm not worried.

#35 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

I wouldn't worry about fitting a standard Rover subframe - superseded part supplied by the manufacturer. Refer to the DVLA points scheme to see how much you are allowed to change and keep still the reg.

ACE say

it is necessary to differentiate between modification and repair. Any repair process that is in line with manufacturer's recommendations and that returns the structure to its original specification would not be considered to be a modification.

#36 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

You can use any brand new body as long as that's all you change out of the scored major components - you can also add a new (rebuilt) engine. Wouldn't do to have someone replica vintage jag/ferrari on Q plates :unsure:

#37 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

We can all give opinions, but the only way you'll know for sure is you are collared and told you need an IVA.

The ERA's were sold by Rover dealers and built out of Rover production cars so they can hardly claim they weren't approved by Rover. The production run was probably small enough to avoid any major type approval regulations, I'd think they would each have needed an SVA if their modifications justified it.

Metro Turbo was launched at the end of 1982, Q plates date back to 1983, the SVA was introduced in 1998.

I still have (somewhere) a couple of letters from ERA dated around August/September 1989, one apologising for the delay in delivery because they were awaiting "Type Approval" and another a few weeks later advising the Type Approval had been gained and production was moving forward, so I'm not worried.

That's interesting, looks like they never sold enough in the UK to warrant the expense - oops

Does it have any Rover identity? Vin number etc?

#38 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

now have I got this right?................

if we modify our toys, we're basically just facing the same issues that kit-car builders always have, and as long as things are done properly, and to the letter of the recommendations........we're OK ?

Not quite, as modern kitcars are designed with the IVA in mind, the mini is a 50 years old now, but it can be done and has been done with a few Z cars for instance but the list of work needed was long and expensive

Cheers
David

#39 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

I swapped the engines between two Mini's i have, sent the logbooks off together(in the same envelope) for it to swapped on the V5's.

5 weeks later i get seperate letters for each wanting a receipt from a garage for the engines. I phoned the DVLA and explained that it was just a straight swop over. the guy on the other end then stated the fact i had sent them in the same envelope should have been enough but now adays they want the minimum of an engineers report for the work carried out when swapping engines of the same spec :blink: The letters also say that new 1275 engines are very rarely sold by garages, so basically its saying you have to declare any 'cc' mods done and i bet they will want an engineers report for any work like that.

looks like i need to find a nice mechanic to do a report for me :unsure: :thumbsup:

#40 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

clicky for mr drives the thing

#41 old original

old original

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

That's interesting, looks like they never sold enough in the UK to warrant the expense - oops

Does it have any Rover identity? Vin number etc?

Yes, It has the normal Rover black and silver vin plate riveted in the same place as a normal mini and on the V5, the make is "Rover" and model " ERA Mini Turbo"

The story as I know it is that ERA originally planned to make 1000 in total but with the number of orders that came in during the first few weeks decided to get tooled up to make a few thousand. This is probably why they went for type approval.
Unfortunately it was 1989 and everything went pear shaped economy wise and no more orders came and so they ultimately went bellyup, just managing to complete about 500 (roughly, 400 export, 100 uk)

#42 Frozo

Frozo

This Man Has Been GIVEN A Mini, Lucky Bugger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

:thumbsup: This means i will probs end up having to stick with my 998 :blink: if i have to change a wing due to rust does that class as a modification? :unsure:

#43 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

Japan was the biggest importer of the ERA Mini Turbo: -

Posted Image

Posted Image

It also got a mention on Top Gear at the time: -

qOtgpYVOYRc

:unsure:

#44 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

clicky for mr drives the thing

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

• a receipt for the replacement engine - came from another car (unfortunatly they cant produce receipts)
  • written evidence from the manufacturer - your guess is as good as mine on a 20yr old non-original engine
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes - insurance didnt want or need one when asked
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle - change took place after i bought the vehicle
As you can see, there is no category for a donor engine from another car. Also i dont think i could have made it anymore obvious where the engines came from and it was just a straight swap.

So basically from now on if i was to buy a A-series engine from say you Bungle, then you would have to provide me with a detailed receipt.

#45 Frozo

Frozo

This Man Has Been GIVEN A Mini, Lucky Bugger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

colour

they want to know if you change that... thats pathetic :/ they are making things worse :/

Full:

Changing your vehicle details on your registration certificate

You’ll need to update your registration certificate (V5C) if you make any changes to your vehicle or if any of the details shown on your registration certificate are incorrect. The amount of vehicle tax you pay may be affected and you will need to produce documentary evidence of the changes.
Changes you need to update

You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

* colour
* engine
* cylinder capacity
* fuel type (propulsion)
* replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell
* seating capacity
* weight of a goods vehicle

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine
* written evidence from the manufacturer
* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Change to fuel type

DVLA will need written confirmation of changes to fuel type for vehicles registered after 1 March 2001 if:

* your existing engine is converted, the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work
* a new engine is fitted, the receipt will be required as confirmation

Change to the number of seats on a bus

A change to the number of seats including the driver's seat may affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay.

Change to the revenue weight for larger vehicles

For changes to the revenue weight you’ll need to produce a plating certificate or design weight certificate.

Change of taxation class to disabled

You’ll need to produce the appropriate exemption certificate if you change the tax class of your vehicle to disabled.

* Taxing your vehicle in the disabled tax class

Other changes

Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:

* wheel plan
* body type
* vehicle identification number (VIN)
* chassis number
* frame number for motorcycles

How to tell DVLA about the changes

Using your registration certificate you’ll need to:

* notify any changes or corrections by completing section seven
* sign and date the declaration box

For changes not listed in section seven you'll need to underline the vehicle details in section four, writing the new information next to them. You must also produce documentary evidence with a covering letter explaining the changes.

If the changes don’t affect your vehicle tax, then send the registration certificate and any additional documentation to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

If the changes affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay, you’ll need to apply to your nearest DVLA local office to:

* apply for an exchange licence if your tax disc shows the old details
* retax your vehicle if the vehicle tax has expired

In both cases, you’ll need to include the registration certificate and any additional documentation with your application.

Edited by Frozo, 18 February 2010 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users