Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:59 AM

The story so far....
I was 16 (now 19) when i got her and she was a pretty nasty looker
Attached File  IMGP0249.JPG   1.99MB   14 downloads
Not only that the gearbox was done in, wouldn't go into 3rd at all so i needed to sort it out before i passed my driving test, gave me about 6-8 months.
I bought a (so called) recond engine n gearbox off ebay (998cc) and then went about doing an engine swap.
hours spent trying to undo rusted up nuts and tight studs but after 2 months the old lump was out, and ready for the shiny new one.
Attached File  IMGP0257.JPG   1.91MB   15 downloads
got her in and running after a slight teething problem with the clutch, as they had left the clutch plate loose, made a bit of a noise! and various new parts to go with it.
Then i needed to sort out the hideous body so i stripped her down to bareshell n engine ready to get resprayed. did a bit of sanding and grinding to get the body smooth and tidy again and then sent it away (on the day i passed my driving test!)
Attached File  IMGP0274.JPG   2.26MB   28 downloads
She was sprayed a lovely old school looking aqua green, with a nice shiny black roof.
I then proceeded to chuck money at it with shiny new exterior parts like clear lens covers, black arches, black wingmirrors, black stripes, quick release bonnet pins, new badges, headliner, black bumpers and so on
Attached File  IMGP0272.JPG   2.05MB   21 downloads
After i got her looking acceptable (from the outside anyway) took her to get MOT'd and she got through with a few minor electrical problems but she was finally road legal after about 8 months.
So i was off, adding to her every month after i got paid, i put a stage one on her with a rally exhaust to get a bit more poke from the engine, ironed out a few teething problems with the carb and engine as it snapped two exhausts (new engine steady needed!) a few new seals on the doors after i found some rain getting in. she was going lovely throughout that summer, sounded a dream with the new stage one and exhaust. come the time for me to turn 18, just oredered a lovely new set of alloys to go on her to finish the exterior off and then concentrate on the interior.
Disaster!
going down on saturday to play footy with the lads, and bang! crunch! and a truly horrible sound! i pulled over bamused as to what it's doing, i stripped the carb on the side of the road, and that seemed ok, so i limped her back home in a sorry state and sounding awful, took a closer look, and took the head off the engine and there was a huge crack down the piston!on chamber 2! oh great!
>_<
she was dead.
Now i did have a job but i also had college and other things so i couldn't just fork out a shed load more money for another engine as i was still paying back for insurance and other bills! so she was garaged for the winter, i needed a new car (106 - rubbish) and she has been left in the garage until last year. when i built myself a new mini garage to put her in and hopefully get working on her again. i'm now in my gap year (convenient - i know) and working and earning a lot more so she is now ready to bring back to life, the old engine is out and stripped down and selling components to raise some dollar (ask if you need anything from a 998), and i have placed an order with chris from smart performance for a 1380 engine kit, bring it on! so in marchish time i should be building the engine up and she may be running by may!
I will get more pictures.

#2 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

12 out of 10 for effort and now you deserve 12 out of 10 in fun so I hope the summer is good for you and your min >_<

#3 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Sounds similar to my Mini story with things always going wrong! >_<

Its a lovely looking Mini, love the colour! :D

Edited by sazal, 22 February 2010 - 10:36 AM.

#4 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

Cheers guys!
I'll get some more pictures and posts of the new engine build and going in as well as some other small jobs need to be done (like brakes and interior!)

#5 Mini Basher

Mini Basher

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Foresters

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

Nice car, love the colour and now to have some fun as the weather starts to improve.

Well done

Andy

#6 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

A little update as iv only had a few hours to spend on her,
the last couple of days i've been tarting up the body slightly, as well as the brakes.
took the calipers off and cleaned em up and gave them a new lick of paint(hammerite)
Attached File  phone_024.jpg   948.14K   11 downloads
i just need some new seals and i'll put them back on the disks, although i'm confused about the type of brakes disks, as its an 89 mini it should have 8.4" disks, but i swear these look like the cooper s type????
Attached File  phone_042.jpg   599.34K   6 downloads
i've also re wrapped the loom to make it look tidier in some rather nice blue tape.
next thing on my list is to reassemble the brakes then to tackle the engine bay and wings with a bit of touch up paint and body seal.
Also some news on the engine front the 1380 kit should be with me by the end of march!! woooop

P.S. the 998cc engine which i have stripped down is gonna have its parts and what not on the classifieds
cheers

#7 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

unlucky wit the engine but the car looks great, measure the disks and c if they're 7.5????

#8 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

cheers Dannie, yh i will, just didnt have a ruler to hand in the garage, so i'll take one out next time, they just look like the cooper S ones.

#9 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

thought i should chuck some more pictures on to show you what has been done previously
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and to give an update on whats happening now, i have been painting the engine bay to tidy it up as well as cleaning up parts like the gearbox casing and brake servo to get em shiny again. i have ordered and awaiting the delivery of EBC greenstuff pads to go on my refurbed brakes. also Chris @smartperformance is putting my engine kit together and it shouldnt be long before i take delivery of all the goodies. i'll post a list of the spec when it arrives with pictures :(

#10 battleroc

battleroc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

loving that mini and the colour....HMMM Lovely..what is it called

#11 Nickh_16

Nickh_16

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Local Club: Pembs

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

Nice choice on the colour, exactly the same look as my sis went for with her mini! (Y)

#12 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

it is quite similar to your sis's mini but i notice she is going for a few chromey bits on it where as mine is pretty much all aqua with black trim.
battleroc: her name is summer :lol:

#13 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

got a delivery of some goodies today, mini spares are pretty awesome as i just ordered all of this yesterday morning and it arrived this morning!
so here is the EBC greenstuff pads, piston sealt kit, braided brake pipes, new bleed nipples and washers.
Posted Image
oh and some new stickers on the right there from roofless. look good!
so it looks like i'm rebuilding the calipers next week:D

#14 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

nice looking mini you got there well done mate

Josh

#15 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

Nice looking car. Wht style you aiming for?

S discs don't have the 4 bolts on the drive flange.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users