#1 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

Have any of you had any problems with DVLA when telling them you have changed the engine ? On another classic forum owners are reporting that DVLA have withheld their V5c until they produce 'evidence' from a 'garage' that the engine has been supplied and changed by them!

#2 minispecialbilee

minispecialbilee

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

Have any of you had any problems with DVLA when telling them you have changed the engine ? On another classic forum owners are reporting that DVLA have withheld their V5c until they produce 'evidence' from a 'garage' that the engine has been supplied and changed by them!

When my other half changed his engine he got a letter saying that but in the same days post was a V5 showing the new details!

He has just changed it again and V5 was sent off on Monday with a receipt for the engne (which is what the dvla website says you need) so waiting to see what happens

#3 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

DVLA say this

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine
* written evidence from the manufacturer
* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

ACE say this
DVLA - Engine swap notification changes

In the past DVLA have only required supporting evidence on a change of cc when it has affected the taxation rate of the vehicle by going to a lower class, if it went to a higher class it was just accepted. It has been their policy to request written confirmation from the garage that carried out the work and to withhold the issue of a new V5C until their request has been met.

They have now changed that policy to include INCREASES in engine cc even for Historical Class registered vehicles where, currently, it doesn’t affect taxation or usage.
Also you now need to provide the same proof of change of fuel type.

Not very helpful, but it looks as though your best bet would written conformation from a garage

Edited by tommy13, 25 February 2010 - 08:41 PM.

#4 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Yes - but many on here do their own engine rebuilds/swaps without going anywhere near a garage! So - I'm not saying don't tell DVLA - but do be aware you may be opening a can of worms if you Do tell them!

#5 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

nope - no probs at all, I simply filled in the forms, put that it was a yamaha 1000cc engine and the new engine number - paperwork came back a week later. :-

I did mine a while back now, and went to the DVLA office that used to be ob George St in BIrmingham so I could make sure it was all done right.

it has changed more recently though..........from the DVLA site :

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine ( straight swap or like for like swap at a guess )
* written evidence from the manufacturer ( if you commission a new build engine from someone like MED perhaps )
* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes ( it doesnt give any immediate guidance on who should do this for you )
* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

sorry, just realised most of that is 2 posts above :thumbsup:

Edited by roofless, 25 February 2010 - 09:10 PM.

#6 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

I think this is going to cause LOTS of trouble........ Also seems the MOT tester will have to tick a box to say if the car has been 'modified' - or not! If he ticks modified - the car will be summoned for a VOSA inspection!!!!!! Anyone know about this ? What does 'modified' mean ??? A different exhaust system ?

#7 benno1275

benno1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: bmc

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

i sent mine off the other day for the same thing and had a letter back saying that they were unable to process it because of lack of evidence from where the engine came from

so i phoned them and spoke to a lady and she said if i could get hold of a garage to write me a letter saying they have seen the car and that engine number is the one thats going in the car then they would be able to do it for me so thats what i did (all sorted)

-if you know if you know the reg of the car where the engine came from then they will swap it straight over

-if you have had the engine bored out then just get a engineers report from the company that do the work for you

#8 Punts

Punts

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

There's hardly a classic car on the road that hasn't been "modified" in some form or another, sometimes to get more power or look better and sometimes just to keep the on the road. We'll just have to hope common sense prevails and it dosn't get too PC.

#9 less is more

less is more

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Local Club: NONE

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

Am I going to get a similar problem?
using a metro engine same cc but manual, I have the log book for the metro and will be replacing the engine into the mini myself which is currently a auto.
can you see any problems?

Andy

#10 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

I would just transfer the old engine number to the new engine. Up to you what you do!

#11 Punts

Punts

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

I would just tell them you've changed it from an auto to a manual

#12 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

Yes - but many on here do their own engine rebuilds/swaps without going anywhere near a garage! So - I'm not saying don't tell DVLA - but do be aware you may be opening a can of worms if you Do tell them!

I agree with you 100% As I do my own engine rebuilds and I am a mechanic I have it easy. I might suggest that many garages may be willing to write a letter of confirmation after inspecting a vehicle, even if they didn't fit the engine.

The government /DVLA must realise most classic car owners carry out their own repairs and it's quite easy, at the moment to feel victimised, with the above, the refusal to carry on the rolling 25 year road tax exemption and now also having to notify DVLA of changes to monocoque.

As a tester I know nothing of what is planned at the moment only that according to the DVLA website you are now required to notify them of,
replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell
It is logical to assume this is what the testers will be looking for, although in my opinion half the testers are not old enough to recognise a modified classic car when they see one and I'm not sure how VOSA will deal with this, we'll have to wait and see.
There will be heavy pressure from the aftermarket manufacturers and retailers of wheels, exhausts, brakes and the like to leave things alone because of revenue and employment generated by them.
The next logical step from a safety point of view would be brakes ( in my opinion). I'm keeping the drum hubs in the loft in case I have to remove the Fiesta disc setup in a hurry.

#13 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

I think this is going to cause LOTS of trouble........ Also seems the MOT tester will have to tick a box to say if the car has been 'modified' - or not! If he ticks modified - the car will be summoned for a VOSA inspection!!!!!! Anyone know about this ? What does 'modified' mean ??? A different exhaust system ?

from the ACE site it say there will not be a modified box but the tester will be asked if what is in front of him is the same as he has on his computer

so if you take your scamp for a MOT and the log book says mini clubman you might have a problem

#14 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

ACE site ? Could you point me to it please!

#15 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users