7 replies to this topic

#1 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

I am asking you lot of motorcycle engine having hooligans about this AWD kit from superfastminis.com. I know this isn't the Honda forum but... I am a motorcyclist by nature and am waiting for the right time to order a pro-mo kit, but just curious on what you guys think about this kit?

http://www.superfast...om/AWD_MINI.htm

What do you think? Perhaps just using the rear subframe and then using a bike engine up front to drive the rear wheels.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

Something very similar is being conceived in a garage not a million miles away from me...

#3 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

interesting... can you shed any more light or is this an area 51 of sorts :thumbsup:

#4 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

its an area of Rugby steeped in myth and the smell of fibreglass resin. :withstupid: some say its where the STIG can be found :thumbsup:

#5 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

I think most people that have gone through the thought process of developing their own take on the heavily modified mini have - at one time or another - considered AWD. That was certainly my original concept when I began to think about what I wanted - it only became RWD after a lot of assesment work.

The company you've linked to look like thay have made a decent job of it. Being in the USA I would be surprised if anyone in the UK has direct experience, but some of the US guys that post here may do. It looks well engineered.

I abandoned the idea of a 4wd car because ultimately I think the additional weight will slow it down to the point where the handling / traction advantage is lost. Holding back less than 250HP in the dry should be acheivable with 2 tyre contact patches, and you shouldn't really need much more than that for the achievable weight. Just my opinion though, so good luck to anyone who's decided otherwise... Where's the project thread?!!!

#6 minivan2007

minivan2007

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

is there not a awd clubman in the uk wasnt it a prototype rally car done by austin ?

#7 markxe

markxe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

[attachment=95796:goodwood_029.jpg][attachment=95797:goodwood_028.jpg] This one.

#8 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

if you are building a rally car, 4wd is a definte advantage as you're traction limited most of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users