Photo
- - - - -

How Much Difference Will Oil Pipe Central Pickup Make?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ROXTEE

ROXTEE

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

Hi Everyone,

My gearbox is under repair, but the garage didnt fit a OIL PIPE HITECH CENTRAL PICKUP in the gearbox(this is due to mis-communication between garage and my friend who is directly contact the garage), the garage say the gearbox need to take parts out again to fit the central oil pick up pipe.

So, I would like to know how much difference will a central pick up pipe make compare to std one? I dont use the car for race, but do drive it a lot in the twisted B road for the weekend.

Thanks a lot for your options.

Regard

Roxtee.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

Have you got an oil pressure gauge? Did the needle ever take a dive on long right hand bends? If it didn't it will make absolutely no difference. If the box is off it isn't that much work to slip the layshaft out.

#3 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

Ultimately no difference to your gearbox.......... ;)

However it can if oil starvation on cornering is experienced destroy your engine <_<

#4 ROXTEE

ROXTEE

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

thanks ethel, no i don't have an oil pressure gauge, but I do drive fast on twisted road and bent, so i will say i will meet some long right hand bends.
The box is off already, but the garage told me,"oh yes, i can do that for you, but it need take out all parts again, and will cost another 60 pound" which I think will be too much, and dont know if thats worth it or not.

any advice please.

Rgds

#5 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

Set of engine bearings £70
Regrind crank £80 +
Gasket set £20

The above is just a few of th eparts that you may need if you destroy your engine <_<

Time etc yes it's worth it

Time to remove speedo housing clean off old gasket (minimal) remove retainer ring remove layshaft and laygear and then remove strainer and pipe .....

Fit new COP pipe and laygear, layshaft and speedo housing....

Edited by mra-minis.co.uk, 03 March 2010 - 12:13 PM.

#6 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Its got to be simpler to pay a bit extra now while its nearly stripped anyway.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

I'd say £60 is taking the pee if the box is off, as MRA says, there isn't that much to do.

The standard set up has served a lot of Minis just fine over the years and it does have a much bigger strainer, which is less likely to get clogged up if you're not regularly rebuilding an engine as often as a competition car's.

#8 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

My gearbox is under repair, but the garage didnt fit a OIL PIPE HITECH CENTRAL PICKUP in the gearbox(this is due to mis-communication between garage and my friend who is directly contact the garage), the garage say the gearbox need to take parts out again to fit the central oil pick up pipe.

So, I would like to know how much difference will a central pick up pipe make compare to std one? I dont use the car for race, but do drive it a lot in the twisted B road for the weekend.

Thanks a lot for your options.

Regard

Roxtee.

Didn't you know they give 20bhp more and put 15 mph on the top speed.

I reality, do not fit a competition oil pickup on a purely road car. The mesh filter is much reduced and more liable to clogging, they are only for competition with frequent strip downs and oil changes. They are like many of the beloved competition parts on the fitting wish list, such as straight cut gears, limited slip diffs and the like. They are for competition, not bragging rites in the pub and not for general road use.

#9 ROXTEE

ROXTEE

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

"Didn't you know they give 20bhp more and put 15 mph on the top speed"

--- Sorry, I don't know about this and don't understand what you mean as well. Which one give 20bhp extra and 15mph on the top speed? the Central pick up or the std one? and why it make such big differance?

Thanks a lot

Rgds

#10 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

He is being sarcastic <_<

Unfortunately, like any "competition" component some people like them and some don't, however if you choose NOT to fit a central oil pick up pipe to your unit then you will get engine damage ;)

If you drive like my grandad then you won't need one and in that respect Ivor is correct........... oh and my Grandad has been dead since 1979 :trooper:

#11 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

While you have got it apart why not go for it and fit one as people have said they give a more constant feed to the pump under HARD PRELONGED cornering. I dont see anything wrong with the standard item under most road driving even some hard twisty roads as long as you have good oil level then it will be ok.

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

If you drive like my Grandson's Grandad (i.e. me) a centre oil pick-up is a very good thing to have.
You can get oil surge in any Mini driven in a spirited fashion when cornering hard to the right and the oil is down towards minimum.The bearings an be damaged in a very short time of oil starvation.
It does take around an hour to fit one as the layshaft has to come out which involves taking the cover plate off the LH end of the box to gain access to the locking plate for the lay-shaft. Personally I would have thought about £40 for labour would be right, but others have different hourly rates and a garage charging the now-common £50 to £60 per hour would make a £60 charge about right.

#13 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

He is being sarcastic :lol:

Unfortunately, like any "competition" component some people like them and some don't, however if you choose NOT to fit a central oil pick up pipe to your unit then you will get engine damage :lol:

If you drive like my grandad then you won't need one and in that respect Ivor is correct........... oh and my Grandad has been dead since 1979 :lol:

Unless Roxtee's grandad is Tom Christie, I really don't think you need a competition oil pipe to drive on the public road.

#14 welshdan

welshdan

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

i have had oil light flicker on my old engine on hard cornering. that was with the right amount of oil in the car as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users