#1 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

The forgery of the classic 'Mini Cooper S' and other classic cars highlighted.

;D

#2 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

I rember a storey of a mk1 970 S in MCR mag back in the late 80s when a man who owned said cooper S and the G/Box blew up and he took it to a small local garage and the owner of the said garage ordered a new G/Box and fitted it to engine...some years later the engine failed and the owner went to the same garage and had a new block fitted..... a few years the cooper S was very badly crashed damaged and the insurance aggreed to a new shell so the owner took it to the same local garage and had all the cooper S parts fitted to the new shell.....job done and the owner was very happy and went on his way...........mean while the garage owner decided to repair the damaged shell and repair the old G/Box and rebuild the old block and put it all back to gether with some second hand red/grey/gold brocade seats and trim and hapresto he has a genuine mk1 970 S ..........which one is the ORIGNAL.........??????? >_<

well the awnser is the one the garage put back together and he has all the orignal parts..............and he sold back in the 80s for £5000.......... :thumbsup:

#3 hystrix cristata

hystrix cristata

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

Is that story true, it's insane. Are you basically saying over a few years and a few repairs a garage stole someones car? What happened to the car that had all the repairs done? Is the moral of this story make sure you use different garages if having several major repairs done? Madness!

#4 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:35 AM

I wish the current Top Gear was a bit more like this.

#5 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

I agree i like top gear but it would be nice to have more history on the cars

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

I agree i like top gear but it would be nice to have more history on the cars

Old Top Gear was a motoring programme, todays Top Gear is mostly now an entertainment show to maximise viewing figures and unfortunately no longer caters for anyone who cares what goes on under the bonnet. Its called progress or dumbing down................ >_<

Edited by mab01uk, 10 March 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#7 lindy119@school

lindy119@school

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

true, but its still good viewing! >_<

#8 gonzoavfc

gonzoavfc

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

Old Top Gear was a motoring programme, todays Top Gear is mostly now an entertainment show to maximise viewing figures and unfortunately no longer caters for anyone who cares what goes on under the bonnet. Its called progress or dumbing down................ :thumbsup:

i think its because the majority of people who have cars these days dont care/ or dont want to know what goes on underneath the bonnet >_<

#9 jake cooper

jake cooper

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

It's not theft because the owner had asked for the repairs to be done. Simply ask for your broken parts back.

#10 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

It's not theft because the owner had asked for the repairs to be done. Simply ask for your broken parts back.

Yes but surely there would have been a problem registering the repaired shell with the old repaired parts? I doubt the DVLA would be very happy with 2 Minis using the same Vin or chassis (or whatever) numbers?

So shouldn't the fixed one be a ringer?

#11 hystrix cristata

hystrix cristata

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

I didn't mean stole the parts I mean he remade and stole the identity from the other one. Basically the shell should have been scrapped or used for parts, he must have had to replace at least half of it if the insurance was willing to buy a new shell making it not the same shell any more if you know what I mean. I just think it's a crazy story

#12 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

I didn't mean stole the parts I mean he remade and stole the identity from the other one. Basically the shell should have been scrapped or used for parts, he must have had to replace at least half of it if the insurance was willing to buy a new shell making it not the same shell any more if you know what I mean. I just think it's a crazy story

His car was a ringer then.

#13 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

Old Top Gear was a motoring programme, todays Top Gear is mostly now an entertainment show to maximise viewing figures and unfortunately no longer caters for anyone who cares what goes on under the bonnet. Its called progress or dumbing down................ :)

i think its because the majority of people who have cars these days dont care/ or dont want to know what goes on underneath the bonnet :)

todays cars dont have a history, they're just stamped out in a factory in japan or germany after a computer has designed it

#14 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

That MG was sweet

#15 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

Is that story true, it's insane. Are you basically saying over a few years and a few repairs a garage stole someones car? What happened to the car that had all the repairs done? Is the moral of this story make sure you use different garages if having several major repairs done? Madness!

Yes its a true storey the orignal owner and mini saw the garage mans mini for sale at a big show ... went to court ect ect
and If memory serves me right he ended up with 2 minis.the same... :thumbsup:

I will try and find mag article......... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users