17 replies to this topic

#1 colinb

colinb

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

I've got a '96 SPi, and I previously removed the fuel tank to access the upper mount for the LH damper. Now, I'm having an awful time trying to re-fit the tank, and I feel as though I'm missing something. I'm starting to get frustrated, so I figured I'd better get some opinions on what's wrong:

When I position the tank as far left as I can (so that the filler neck is through the grommet in the body), then the hole at the bottom doesn't line up with the hole in the bracket:
Posted Image

I can't really rotate the tank forward when it's in this position -- it seems that the front edge of the tank is interfering with the damper stud. After messing with the fit for a while, I removed to tank to find that the damper stud had, indeed, scratched a bunch of paint off along this edge (not at the corner, where the tank is a little dented, but along the edge):
Posted Image

I then thought that maybe the studs on my new Spax dampers are longer than on the original Konis, so I even put a spacer in there to lower the damper relative to the car's body. The spacer is the white nylon ring here:
Posted Image

Here's the new height of the stud in the trunk (as you can see, there's no "wasted" thread that makes it higher than is necessary.) At this point, I'm quite sure that the stud isn't any higher than it was with the old Koni damper -- and the fuel tank fit then, so I must be doing something wrong.
Posted Image

Any ideas?

--Colin

#2 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

I was having same kind of problem as you...

But some how i managed to wiggle it just right to get it in took an hour...

#3 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

The hole in the tank doesn't line up with the fixing bracket, Thats how they are. Unless I've fitted the tank wrong in 4 minis >_< Once the filler neck is through the body and tank pushed into place and the strap fits on thats all that is needed

Edited by lrostoke, 10 March 2010 - 09:50 AM.

#4 jameswhiles

jameswhiles

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Local Club: A5 Minis

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Ive just refitted mine and that hole doesn't line up. How you have got it positioned is (as far as I know) correct. As long as the filler neck is in the right place and you can get the strap round it then thats it!

#5 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

The hole in the tank doesn't line up with the fixing bracket, Thats how they are. Unless I've fitted the tank wrong in 4 minis :-) Once the filler neck is through the body and tank pushed into place and the strap fits on thats all that is needed

Ive just refitted mine and that hole doesn't line up. How you have got it positioned is (as far as I know) correct. As long as the filler neck is in the right place and you can get the strap round it then thats it!

Hey, I've done this but my filler cap seems to be at an odd angle. I have attached a few pics. Sorry they're sideways. Any ideas?

Attached Files

Edited by dangreen, 17 February 2020 - 01:42 PM.

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

What year is the car?

Has some work been done to the bodywork around the the hole for the filler neck?

It looks to be a little uneven and there is a gap below the petrol tank neck seal that will let water in if it's left unsealed.

#7 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

What year is the car?

Has some work been done to the bodywork around the the hole for the filler neck?

It looks to be a little uneven and there is a gap below the petrol tank neck seal that will let water in if it's left unsealed.

It's a 1979 mini 850

Yeah it was corroded so I put some cure rust and filler on it as well as replacing the rubber seal that sits in the hole.

Yeah, do you have any suggestions for fixing that? I haven't been able to find any repair panels for the filler cap part and I've already tried filler. I could give it another go with the filler?

#8 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

I doubt if there is a repair panel suitable for just that area.

I would imagine anyone that can weld would probably cut out the area and fabricate a piece and weld it back in.

Adding more filler and building it up seems the easiest option but reproducing the curve in the body at that point won't be easy.

On my mini the fuel tank neck doesn't stick out evenly like yours.

#9 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:47 PM

What year is the car?

It's a 1979 mini 850

Yeah it was corroded so I put some cure rust and filler on it as well as replacing the rubber seal that sits in the hole.

Yeah, do you have any suggestions for fixing that? I haven't been able to find any repair panels for the filler cap part and I've already tried filler. I could give it another go with the filler?

More filler will probably just mean the seal will not fit as it will too thick to attach to ..

#10 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:54 PM

What year is the car?

It's a 1979 mini 850

More filler will probably just mean the seal will not fit as it will too thick to attach to ..

I thought about that later.

#11 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:29 AM

My car is a 1989 so may be different but it looks like the tank is not fitted far enough into the arch,particularly at the bottom causing the filler neck to point downwards.Steve..

#12 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

Mine does the same and compresses the neck seal at the bottom a bit more than the rest but the tank does appear to be in the right place in the boot.

#13 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

What year is the car?

It's a 1979 mini 850

Ok thanks for the advice

#14 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:56 PM

My car is a 1989 so may be different but it looks like the tank is not fitted far enough into the arch,particularly at the bottom causing the filler neck to point downwards.Steve..

I can't seem to get it any further over unfortunately

Edited by dangreen, 22 February 2020 - 12:57 PM.

#15 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

Mine does the same and compresses the neck seal at the bottom a bit more than the rest but the tank does appear to be in the right place in the boot.

Is it the stock tank? I saw a MK1 cooper and the filler cap looked much straighter.
Could it be someone has fitted a later tank to mine but not quite done it right? It's very difficult to find much information on my exact model so I'm not sure what tank it had as standard and I've seen people have to weld in the little tab I'm bolting the bracket to

Edited by dangreen, 22 February 2020 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users