One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

This week's progress:

The scuttle had loads of filler on it, so let's find out why:

5woEnIq.jpg

Ah okay, it's been repaired before...you can exactly see the repair panels and the welds:

e6XyMt7.jpg

Then I got to removing the five layers of carpets on the rear floor only to discover that the job's been doubled again for me :errr:

nMz0FTh.jpg

mVPNsVl.jpg

Ngmpuko.jpg

I have a question for you all; would it be good to spray the inner wings and underside of the car with this? (after it's repaired, yes)

d8h96fK.jpg

Oh well!

Edited by dasupersprint, 20 September 2019 - 06:23 PM.

#17 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

that undersoating you are showing there isn't very good.. you want to try to get some rubberized undercoating as opossed to the ashphalt stuff... be sure to primer everything before you coat it with that though...

#18 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

Received stuff from Minisport! It's Christmas time wooooo

Sportex 3'' Center exit exhaust
9Xx8jeb.jpg

Roof decal!
Zr0lsvk.jpg

Black headlining

901Vt2e.jpg

WHEELS!!! I absolutely love them!! 13''X7'' with Yokohamas
1M0sTg6.jpg

It's kind of silly to have those finishing parts when the car looks like this:
gymYbRp.jpg

zc2hdTi.jpg

All I did this weekend is remove rust...

Edited by dasupersprint, 20 September 2019 - 06:27 PM.

#19 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

nice project.

I like the wheel choice. Be sure to fit them up and lower the cars weight down to check for clearance... my 13x8 wheels needed some body finessing to fit. so, I canned the idea and will get a set of something else.

#20 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

Little update!

The project is taking a lot more time than I expected...Anyways, things are going slowly, but they're going!

I had a go at my first welds in years. I never welded metal that thin, so I had a bit of trouble. At first, when welding the metal was just melting away, even if the welding machine was at minimum current! Well with a bit of practice I went nice, I still hope it'll improve though.

So I spent a lot of time cleaning the left inner wing, welded some repair panels I've cut and primed it.
km9iWpO.jpg

l7imbvF.jpg

I removed the two gas tanks too. Surprise, not rust in the boot compartment!

Cheers!

Edited by dasupersprint, 20 September 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#21 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

Update!

Last week my time allowed to work on cars was quite spent on our daily drivers at home, not really on the Mini. Girlfriend's Dogde needed a new radiator and an oil change, and my Saab, an oil change and rear brakes and spark plugs....So now back to the Mini!

TKZm78x.jpg

Got the boot off, started stripping all the stuff on it. Then I realised oh no, it looks like it got mile-thick filler on it, and it's craked...
vdLF9cC.jpg

I hate doing this but I had to take a look, with a sand disk...
lKrNzs0.jpg

I'm still undecided if I want to go through all that job or just buy a new boot panel...Man I hate stripping filler!
7WriqFw.jpg

After that I got to fill a hole meant for indicators but I won't need it anymore, plus the sportpack arches will need all that space.
lfQla0M.jpg

sPqun4q.jpg

Left side scuttle is now fixed and welded:
d3AJZmP.jpg

I finally took pictures of my seats and doorcards, refurbished:
Ix7Gtv0.jpg

m0AzMLM.jpg

l3L8q3T.jpg

Tell me what you think!

Edited by dasupersprint, 20 September 2019 - 06:33 PM.

#22 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

Mmm, nearly 5 months since my last post...a lot of things happened, but not on the Mini...

Mini project is on hold, since we bought a house plus we're having a baby, due April 2011! I'd like to continue the Mini at my house since I have a double garage now but I really don't have all the tools my father has, including the welding machine. And money? Don't even think about it, it's all gone on the house, and apparently, kids cost a bit! I'm hoping to get a bit more serious on the Mini next summer. Oh, priorities!

#23 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

So, back on the Mini after a while, at last!
Brought the Mini at the new house about 3 weeks ago, here's the place.

emlZhRi.jpg

I got serious into removing everything to have a clean bodyshell to work on, so everything's going out, wiring, engine and all. I'm planning to build a spit kit with stevede's for an inspiration because I have a lot of welding and repairs to do under the Mini. I must get a welding machine soon, too.

FvMuPKa.jpg

onPZNVY.jpg

Question: When you buy a complete new wiring loom, are the wires the same color as the originals and all? I documented the removal with lots of pictures but I'm so scared of all electrical stuff, I hope to figure it all right when I get to put it back into the car. Plus, I heard the looms don't come with instructions or anything.

So that's what the Mini looks like right now. I'll be ready to drop the engine along with the front subframe pretty soon I guess.

3IOBD6K.jpg

lGR46j2.jpg

Oh and that's my new supervisor, I guess he's pleased with my work, judging by his attitude...
q8BM52A.jpg

Edited by dasupersprint, 20 September 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#24 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Done some things recently. Bought a brand new welder! My welds are still a bit messy but I'm getting better with practice. Worked a lot on the right door post area, since this was the favorite part of Mr. Rust.

Cleared the rot...
TzXKwOW.jpg

Cardboard...
DAJFoOR.jpg

Metal
UVnBTG7.jpg

With precious advices from Sonikk4, I finally positioned the new door post, where the door bolts in.
Thankfully, nothing moved and the structure was still intact even with all the metal I removed previously.
Cyu4e1b.jpg

I had to tack-weld the post with the door in place, done it a second time to improve the positioning, welded it properly and thankfully the door still fits! Was a bit of a tricky job though.
1TekXbN.jpg

8PbkzBC.jpg

2Tr4RAG.jpg

I still have the inner closing panel to fit, then I can work a the scuttle corner and this area will be kinda sorted.

Edited by dasupersprint, 20 September 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#25 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

Love it! keep up the good work. I also love the big garage, quite envious. :)

#26 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

You have certainly been having a good go with the repairs. The floors do look really bad and now it may pay you to think about replacing the whole floor assembly.

This will include the rear heelboard assembly and cross member as well and right up to the front toe board. Although this is not a cheap option it will cover nearly everything that needs to be done inside the car.

You can buy half floor sections with the heel board and cross member separate if you want to go that route. Try this company their products are really good, i have used them for their outer sills and jacking points http://www.m-machine.co.uk

Their parts catalogue is really good. Its a downloadable pdf.

Edited by sonikk4, 07 July 2011 - 07:18 PM.

#27 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

Great car, and definately envious of the garage! :thumbsup:

#28 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

thanks guys for the comments! honestly, I'm in love with the garage!!

Sonikk4, Thanks for the website, I didn't know it. Their parts seem top quality. Must now find out if they ship to Canada...

More welding this weekend, as I put on the closing panel for the door post.
Fitted...
Posted Image
welded.
Posted Image
I'm pleased with the result. It seems so much easier to weld new panels, and thoses parts were thick, it was a joy to work with. Now back to the thin stuff...
See ya

#29 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

Should I put something on my welds? I'm worried about rust since there will not be any painting for about a year or so...

#30 llawwehttam

llawwehttam

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Should I put something on my welds? I'm worried about rust since there will not be any painting for about a year or so...

I have seen a lot of people using 3m etching primer or red oxide. I think any sort of bare metal adhering primer should do the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users