#1 andyboy!!

andyboy!!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi

I am looking to buy either an MPi or SPi (Cooper's) and was wondering what the major differences are - tuning\styling\power\handling etc etc.

I have had an MPi but it did have a stuttering fault similar to alot of faults mentioned on here which was never fixed after many parts and diagnostics so I am a little wary - especially after reading many similar stories on here!

Thanks in advance
Andy.

#2 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

I have to state that this is my own personal opinion but i'd go SPi.

just never liked working in the mpi engine bay, and parts are alot dearer for it to be honest

#3 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

spi anyday, cheaper to and easier tune, simpler, and can be changed to carb easier if needs must. ;)

#4 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Yup I'd go with SPi - although there are a few common problems which you may experience.

With an SPi you can drop the injection system and run carbs as Rick said - haven't heard anyone do that to an MPi before.

Have a look in the Injection part of this forum - clicky

#5 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

For an every day running car, I would not look past the Mpi. Its very fuel efficient and very fun to drive.

You only really start getting issues with the Mpi when you start to do any form of engine mods. Cam, Rockers, Head etc. Reason being is the ECU. Top that off with the parts for the MPi are generally more expensive. This can all add up at the end of the day.

I have a Mpi and he ran like a dream, untill I started to modify the engine, then I ran into issues. Poor Fueling and also trying to get the mods and ecu balance correct.

Personally If I was looking for an everyday car, that I was not looking to mod, I would get the MPi, however if I was going to be wanting an out and right street racer. I would buy a carb mini.

Mike

#6 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

I am of the same opinion as mr mykweb, for an everyday car i have a MPi, unmodified its great fun, reliable and fuel efficient. You can always modify it cosmetically rather than engine mods etc. However if you wanted a quick /tuned mini, go for a carb, you'll spend much less on tuning parts for a much bigger increase (bang for buck!)

Ryan

#7 rick.spi

rick.spi

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

there is no reason at all why you should value an mpi over an spi, spi's are easier, cheaper and more tuneable. :)

#8 Dylan8660

Dylan8660

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

I have a typical Stage 3 mpi that I use as an everyday commuting car, apart from the broken gearbox/diff that they all seem to suffer from sooner or later I've had no reliability problems or fueling issues. It's the best way to get to and from (mainly from) work there is.

#9 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

there is no reason at all why you should value an mpi over an spi, spi's are easier, cheaper and more tuneable. :)

Does the SPi not suffer from similer issues to the MPi where the ECU governs a lot of the car?

Also is it not just as expensive to tune/get parts for?

Mike

#10 rick.spi

rick.spi

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

yes it will suffer at a certain point. but ecus are available for the spi now which are just plug and play and get over the problems which is another advantage.

mpi will be more expensive to fix as there is more to go wrong, spi has alot more in common with a carb engine and some bits interchangable.

i suppose heads and rockers and cams are the same price no matter what engine.

some better bits for the spi can be taken from other rover cars at scrappies which is nice not sure whether this is the same on an MPI.

sont see a reason to value mpi over spi.

not saying this because i have spi as i have ditched it now so im not biased :)

Edited by rick.spi, 14 March 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#11 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

Example of price differences

Spi alternator about £35, or use a second hand one from any carbed mini

Mpi alternator about £125, fits Mpi mini only.

Spi radiator £30 standard or £70 two core

Mpi radiator £140 last time the garage bought one.

Just a couple of examples

#12 andyboy!!

andyboy!!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

wow...thanks for all your replys...it's certainly given me something to think about... :)

Just one thing i would like clearing up...my mpi had more modern features such as rover style intermittent wipers, alot more sound proofing so it was fairly quiet, koni suspension, rev counter\centre dials\13" wheels etc etc. I much prefer all these "mod cons". I have driven an spi which didn't have any of these - it was just a normal mini (sidewalk) and not a cooper. Does the Spi cooper come with any of these features...also what is the major difference between spi and mpi...is it simply power and fuel consumption?

When people talk about having problem once they start to tune their mpi's, is this referring to stage 1\2\3 kits?

On the carb front I would love one of these...however the car has got to be reliable (I was thinking newer is more reliable) given the nature of my job. I travel to about 7 different sites every day within my town and an unreliable car simply isn't an option as it would land me in alot of bother with the boss! I also have no experience in modding and am by no means a mechanic...can anyone point me in the direction of web resources on tuning carbed minis etc.

Thanks again
Andy.

#13 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

wow...thanks for all your replys...it's certainly given me something to think about... :)

Just one thing i would like clearing up...my mpi had more modern features such as rover style intermittent wipers, alot more sound proofing so it was fairly quiet, koni suspension, rev counter\centre dials\13" wheels etc etc. I much prefer all these "mod cons". I have driven an spi which didn't have any of these - it was just a normal mini (sidewalk) and not a cooper. Does the Spi cooper come with any of these features...also what is the major difference between spi and mpi...is it simply power and fuel consumption?

When people talk about having problem once they start to tune their mpi's, is this referring to stage 1\2\3 kits?

On the carb front I would love one of these...however the car has got to be reliable (I was thinking newer is more reliable) given the nature of my job. I travel to about 7 different sites every day within my town and an unreliable car simply isn't an option as it would land me in alot of bother with the boss! I also have no experience in modding and am by no means a mechanic...can anyone point me in the direction of web resources on tuning carbed minis etc.

Thanks again
Andy.

personally speaking as an MPi owner Tuning an Mpi can be done. It just takes lots of money and some head scratching.

The only limitations are the ECu on a MPi as far as tuning goes. Fitting a stage 1 kit Exhaust and Air filter will make little difference to the standard and not cause any issues. Stage 2 ramps up a bit but you still don't have issues. Its only when you get to stage 3 where you have head changes, cam and rockers. I have a major issue with fuel pressure that was sorted by the adjustable fuel pressure valve

As for the 13 inch wheels, you can fit these to any mini, you will need spacers on the rear, aas well as longer wheel studs and wider arches.

Koni dampers, you can buy these and fit these to any mini, Gaz and Spax are also avalible.

The Mpi has a 2 speed heater which is pritty neat.

As for the wipers, not to sure if the SPi had this, but I have heard people fitting mpi or mg tf stalks to older cars as well as a wiper assembly of a later car.

If i was you using it for commuting between multiple places the Mpi would be my choice. They are very easy to maintain and look the same as any mini under the bonnet. Except the few mods like expansion tank, front mounted rad, ecu and tpi injection.

For relability factor my Mpi was great before I started to tinker with the stage 3 kit to get more power. However with a stage 2 kit you can expect the MPi to put out a suitable 63 ish BHP.

I am currently looking at Mpi's for my Girlfreind as she wants a mini, and the main thing I would look for her would be relability, safety and good Mpg

hth

Mike

#14 rick.spi

rick.spi

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

13" wheels... hmm i prefurr twelves, and prefurr 10"ers even more.

whichever one you go for both injection models will give you a good amount of reliability.

my cooper spi didnt have amy mod cons if that answers your questions, if they are what you are after then the mpi is the kitty. however the more mod cons the more weight =] haha...

it sounds as if you want a late cooper mpi sportspack if you want all these modcons tho. :)

also bear in mind that without a proper suspencion setup and lots of improved bits, the general consensus is that minis on 13"ers handle worse compared to the smaller variety of wheels.

Edited by rick.spi, 15 March 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#15 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

13" wheels... hmm i prefurr twelves, and prefurr 10"ers even more.

whichever one you go for both injection models will give you a good amount of reliability.

my cooper spi didnt have amy mod cons if that answers your questions, if they are what you are after then the mpi is the kitty. however the more mod cons the more weight :) haha...

it sounds as if you want a late cooper mpi sportspack if you want all these modcons tho. :thumbsup:

also bear in mind that without a proper suspencion setup and lots of improved bits, the general consensus is that minis on 13"ers handle worse compared to the smaller variety of wheels.

second that

i prefer a mini on 12's

You can get late coopers up to 99 that are standard coopers that run on 12's or even the mini sprite which had peperpot 12's:)

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users