28 replies to this topic

#16 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

thats the one, so does that mean I've fited it incorrectly or I just take the brackets off for MOT (I know it would be against the rules to tell me to just drive and take the brackets off before the MOT) but could someone clarify whether my fitment is correct and its just the brackets bad design which doesn't allow the catch to lock in?
Thanks
Ben

#17 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

basically if it doesnt hold down it will fail an mot, but when you take it for an mot slide your seat forward a bit till it does catch,

the problem lies with the seat now being too far back for the little hook underneath to go under the hook on the floor

it never bothered me as i wear a seat belt, im sure that will hold the seat down enough

i drilled another hole through in mine to hold it down better too

#18 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

:) thank you very much :thumbsup:

#19 mymini25

mymini25

On The Road

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

this may be cheeky but could someone meausure me some of the brackets and that way i can make some cheers sorry if that is cheeky

#20 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

this may be cheeky but could someone meausure me some of the brackets and that way i can make some cheers sorry if that is cheeky

its not cheeky, you dont have to make them exact to what they sell as, it would be better to make them to suit your own standard

#21 Spitz

Spitz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

The hook underneath the seat that catches the bracket can be bent quite easily.
Perhaps you can bend it back enough to catch.

#22 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

Spitz I like your logic :) it sounds rather.... logical :thumbsup:

#23 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hmmm, sounds like some rather dangerous advice being given out here.

The hold down catch is supposed to stop your seat flying forwards in the event of any sort of accident and thus would stop your brains from either going through the roof of your car or being splattered and sent through your windscreen, hence why its required for an MOT.

I most certianly would not -

a) leave it and swap the brackets for MOT time (unless you like driving around in fear?)

or

b) bend any safety critical brackets in any car, let alone a mini.

Moving the seat forward one notch on the seat adjuster (im sure thats all its going to take) and making sure the hold down catch does indeed catch the bar thats welded to the floor is the safest thing to do here.

Safety > Comfort , thats the order people should work in!!

Edited by silva_mini, 17 March 2010 - 06:42 PM.

#24 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

could I not just extend the bit the catch clips into?

#25 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Unless you cut off the catch rail and re-weld it further back then id say it'd be too unsafe. A lot more work than shifting the seat forward a notch on the adjuster though! If you do cut it off and re-weld dont let a novice welder do it, the welds would HAVE to be good.

If you go to this extreme to move it further back then you do realise no one will be able to sit in the back??

If your not having rear seat access why not get some fixed back (non tilt) seats and make a subframe for them that can bolt through the floor instead of using the catch??

#26 JD8891

JD8891

Previously known as Soul_racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

its bolted through the floor not welded so you only have to drill 2 new holes to move it back.

#27 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

I thought mine was welded in. In that case you could do the above, but whatever you do, dont leave the seat un-catched at the back!

#28 Spitz

Spitz

• Members
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

The hold down catch is supposed to stop your seat flying forwards in the event of any sort of accident and thus would stop your brains from either going through the roof of your car or being splattered and sent through your windscreen, hence why its required for an MOT.

a) leave it and swap the brackets for MOT time (unless you like driving around in fear?)

or

Moving the seat forward one notch on the seat adjuster (im sure thats all its going to take) and making sure the hold down catch does indeed catch the bar thats welded to the floor is the safest thing to do here.

No 'dangerous" advise given by me.
The catch isn't designed to hold the weight of the seat AND a passenger. It is designed, as said, so the seat itself doesn't flip forward under hard breaking....not the seat and passenger....thats what the seat belt is for! If only an inch or so is needed...there's nothing wrong with making two slight bends so the hook is still catching the bar. The only force it is intended to withstand is the weight of the seat by itself trying to flip forward.....which, given the angle etc., isn't great, even under heavy braking.
I doubt your MOT over there would pass a car that has had the bracket "adapted" by welding etc, but if two neatly done bends are done....so the hook is still 90degrees to the bracket, I can't see that being an issue....safety or otherwise

#29 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

or

I thought mine was welded in. In that case you could do the above, but whatever you do, dont leave the seat un-catched at the back!

Heaven help those of us driving older models which didn't have the hooks fitted at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users