biggles1293

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

1993 Cooper 1293 - Side mounted Rad

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any good tips for getting the bottom hose back on a side mounted rad, other than the technique that involves sticking your arm down the gap, scratching and bruising your arm and hand to buggery! I've done this job many times before and haven't really encountered the amount of grief I am getting with it this time, I thought I had it on, filled the rad, and there was a wee waterfall from what looked like the bottom of the rad itself and not the hose, so out came the rad, which is only 6 or so months old to test it for any leaks, no leaks, so came to the conclusion that I had not connected the bottom hose correctly, and seeing that water finds the easiest route to escape, I guess it must have been leaking from the underside of the hose that I couldn't see, running down and along underneath the rad and off. So back went in the rad, all connected up, and the same has happened again, looking at the bottom hose, there certainly seems to be more of the union from the bottom of the rad that the hose connects to that is showing, and I would like to get it on more, but for the life of me it wont go on, any ideas, secret tips!? Cheers :)

#2 Brigbeale

Brigbeale

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: Bournemouth Mini Club

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

I usually take the radiator out and fit the bottom hose (hose out as well).
Bit of a pain, I know, but at least I can see if the hose is fitted proprerly.

Also, you can part fill it to make sure it's not leaking.

Edited by Brigbeale, 28 March 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#3 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

I also remove the rad as per Brigbeale (gives an oportunity to give it a flsuh through if its old)

One tip - when positioning the jubilee clip on the bottom hose, remember to turn it so if can be undone again while in situ to aid the next removal.

#4 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

i agree with the above i even used the technique of removing the rad when stranded in morrisons in the dark with a split bottom hose,i got home thanks to the roll of duct tape i always carry :)

#5 biggles1293

biggles1293

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

I also remove the rad as per Brigbeale (gives an oportunity to give it a flsuh through if its old)

One tip - when positioning the jubilee clip on the bottom hose, remember to turn it so if can be undone again while in situ to aid the next removal.

Thanks L400, I always do, it's just this time the hose wont go all the way on, and I did flush it through even though only 6 months old, and I also flushed the waterways in the block too, I shall take the rad out again and remove the hose assembly and connect to the rad first, hoping it shouldn't be too much of a pain reconnecting the top end of the hose etc

#6 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Vaseline

#7 johnbest981

johnbest981

Mini Mad