7 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

I am rebuilding my wiper box (2 speed) and want to put the correct grease back into it. What is used in these? I am in the USA so hopefully we have what is needed.

Thanks

#2 hystrix cristata

hystrix cristata

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

Not sure what should be in it but I just cleaned mine up at the weekend, seemed to just have general purpose grease in the motor and I used bike chain lube for the rack

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

Please read the note at the top of every technical page, if a member asks for very specific information like this the answer should not start with 'I don't know but...'! Personally I wouldn't use chain oil for this application, it's too sticky really. The point is to reduce the load on the motor not increase it!

The real stuff is called Ragosine Listate grease. It's a product of a very old British refinery called the Ragosine Oil Company Ltd, now ROCOL. You won't find it anywhere, Google it and see how many of the responses bring you back here! Rocol greases are now called Saphire and they don't list one as being a direct replacement, I suspect that even Lucas have started using a general purpose lithium grease as a replacement. If you do happen to find any Listate grease over there, or a product listed as compatible with it, ship some to me!

#4 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

I used this stuff :lol:

http://www.onlinebea...y-pr-16317.html

works a treat. good for the door locks as well.

#5 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

Thanks a lot.

I will do my best to search for that product. On that Sapphire spray, is that good for the motor box or just the rack? Do you use the same oil/grease for both?

#6 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Also, I was told that 30w oil for the bushings and then coating the rest (gears and such) with a nice coating of Vaseline work very well.

#7 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

I'm about to re-grease my wiper rack.

I have been thinking of using a general purpose grease (Castrol LM) but keep thinking that it's just a little too viscous.

I have a couple of sachets of CV joint grease.. I know that that is a bit less viscous.

Any thoughts for or against this idea?

Ed

Edited by edi57, 04 April 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#8 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

the place i used to work did re-conditioning of wiper box's, a fully mechanicle thing and was built with some sort of red lube which was bought from halfords, i think it was a cycle lube though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users