#1 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies, MINI5280

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

After a long delay I was able to make some progress on my Pro-Motive build yesterday. After a bit work I got the drive chain, joining link and tensioner fitted. Unfortunately I ran into a bit of problem when trying to fit the gear linkage. One of the socket head cap screws that attaches the frame to the engine (or is it the engine to the frame ;D ) interferes with the cable bolts on the frame (picture #2). I noticed in one of the pictures in the build manual that the cap screw and mounting bracket that's giving me trouble isn't present (picture #1).

How have other people gotten around this issue? Should I just leave the cap screw off? Find another one with a smaller head?

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by rtg54, 30 March 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#2 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

I would just use a domed head screw instead if it would give enough clearence.

#3 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

does it actually interfere once the shifter cable is all the way in?

#4 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

It doesn't really look like it in the picture but it interfered whether I installed the cable or screw first. I decided to go the domed head screw route and that worked out great. :proud:

Unfortunately my engine didn't come with the original aluminium gear selector so I had to order one which puts that part of the project on hold for a week or so but progress is (slowly) being made.

#5 akaflash

akaflash

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

i had same problem but i just filed out the hole where gear cable bolts up, got just enough clearence

#6 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

mine is as per the illustration (picture 1 ) - just had a looksie - this must be a new addition ?? best to phone phil I reckon.

mind you - mine is 5PW - is yours 5JJ ?? maybe its been jigged for the wrong engine type ??

alex to confirm :proud:

#7 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

confirming... nah all the engine mounts are the same as far as i no, my 4xv was like yours mart (picture 1). Just new promo modication. Guessing there was just a need for more bolts, i remember i lost one from that area once.

#8 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Nope, mine is a 5PW as well. I think the extra tab is a tweak that guys at Pro-Motive have made since they originally started making the kits and wrote build manual.

I really appreciate all the help everyone. I'm going to have a ton more questions as the project moves along. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to attach all the hoses...

#9 fwdr1mini

fwdr1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

The 5pw engine has different mounts to the 4xv & 5jj engines. The treaded boss on the cylinder head is in a different place as seen in the photo. The frame now has 3 holes so it can suit either engine.
We'll have to update the photo.
Martin, the photo in the manual is actually of your engine. Being 1 of the first as with my old 1, Yours doesn't use the top mounting point. The way the engine is installed in the kit it's not really needed but when we had a new batch of brackets cut we altered them to accomodate 5pw. It just made sense to really and saved it looking like something was missing.
I can't say Ive noticed that foul before, ill have a look into it.

Darren

#10 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

it looks like you have the spacer washer that should go between frame and engine and not bolt and frame.

#11 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

it looks like you have the spacer washer that should go between frame and engine and not bolt and frame.

Good eye. :tumble: There's actually a washer between the frame and engine, and the bolt and frame, which I think is actually how it's shown in the build manual.

#12 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

eye eye lol, I tried the third bolt and it does touch the green part (outer case) of the cable but it does not look like a problem

#13 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

Well, I made some good progress over the weekend and have just about everything buttoned up on the engine front with the exception of two items. First, by looking at some other builds (6th and 7th photos down) it appears that some sort of filter is suppose to go on the connector that I have covered in blue painters tape. Can anyone tell me what sort of filter that is? And second, where is that hose that's next the connection suppose to connect to?

After I get those two items sorted I guess it'll be time to start work on the Mini. Does anyone have links or suggestions as to the best way to approach disassembling the front end?

Cheers!

Attached Files

#14 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:30 AM

Transmission / crank case breather. You can either use a small clamp on air filter (K&N makes one, as do others), or plumb it back into your airbox.

Well, I made some good progress over the weekend and have just about everything buttoned up on the engine front with the exception of two items. First, by looking at some other builds (6th and 7th photos down) it appears that some sort of filter is suppose to go on the connector that I have covered in blue painters tape. Can anyone tell me what sort of filter that is? And second, where is that hose that's next the connection suppose to connect to?

After I get those two items sorted I guess it'll be time to start work on the Mini. Does anyone have links or suggestions as to the best way to approach disassembling the front end?

Cheers!

Edited by Monte Busa, 29 April 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#15 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Transmission / crank case breather. You can either use a small clamp on air filter (K&N makes one, as do others), or plumb it back into your airbox.

Ok, cool. I'll see if I can find one of those small air filters.

So, with regards to my other question, what does that small hose attach to? :thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users