118 replies to this topic

#1 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

Just finished this little project, going in the car on sat. Made all the bits myself

P4010432Small.jpg

P4010431Small.jpg

P4010429Small.jpg

P4010428Small.jpg

P4010427Small.jpg

Going to be a busy Saturday I think!

Graham

Edited by Grahamxx, 10 May 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#2 gregh55

gregh55

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Local Club: naaa

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

wow! that looks great! fancey making me one up :tumble:

#3 chinner

chinner

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:31 AM

love the reinforcement between charger and manifold! Is this going in a round fronted mini? Gonna have some clearance issues if it is. I made my pipe straight and still had to cut the bonnet frame to make it fit. Think the carb will stick out the bonnet on a standard mini as well. Its close on mine and its a fair bit lower. Lovely welding you done there.
Posted Image

#4 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

love the reinforcement between charger and manifold! Is this going in a round fronted mini? Gonna have some clearance issues if it is. I made my pipe straight and still had to cut the bonnet frame to make it fit. Think the carb will stick out the bonnet on a standard mini as well. Its close on mine and its a fair bit lower. Lovely welding you done there.
Posted Image

I've made the tapper cone between the supercharger and the first flange to try and help with flow. All the pipe work has been roughened up in side, did this with a 40 grit mop, hoping this will help with the fueling issues I've heard about. Yes you could be right with the height of the flanges and the carb height, but this isn't a problem to adjust.

How reliable has your car been since you had your conversion? any problems? iceing up carb etc....

Edited by Grahamxx, 02 April 2010 - 08:33 AM.

#5 miRon

miRon

• Banned
  • 1,993 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

looking good!!
but that belt looks like it will rub on the bulk head?

#6 chinner

chinner

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

I had some carb icing problems but i fixed it with a mod described in the 'carb icing' thread. I took it for a rolling road session and they found a small air leak through 1 of the mounting holes, after that was fixed it idles at 900rpm nicely. Im going to post up the whole build thread eventually. Or you can go to the 'blakehill minis' club website to check it out.

#7 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Nice work Graham ! >_<

#8 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

Nice work Graham ! :thumbsup:

Thanks Phil, and thanks for that superb cylinder head!!!

#9 MiniGT5

MiniGT5

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: www.edmc.co.uk

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Looks good but as said previously the carb looks a bit high... easyt fix if its a problem

N.

#10 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Very nice kit and great welding...

I recon without a servo theres plety of room for a bike carb allowing a much smaller inlet. I run one on my SC12 setup, and its been much more reliable fueling than the old SU..

#11 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Very nice kit and great welding...

I recon without a servo theres plety of room for a bike carb allowing a much smaller inlet. I run one on my SC12 setup, and its been much more reliable fueling than the old SU..

If the washer bottle was moved to a new location, why couldn't the carb be moved back anyway? Theres nothing else there is there?! (well, without a servo anyway)

P.S Looks lovely though, you have done a fantastic job with the welding, wish I could weld/fabricate that well!

#12 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

Thank you for all your kind words and constructive comments.

The state of play now is there is some mods needed now the engines back in the car, but nothing I can't sort out.

I'm going to run th engine in the state of tune it was before I took the engine out. Run it in for 500 miles, then fit the Megajolt system, run this for 100ish miles, then fit the new head and charger etc, drive it around the block, then onto a trailer to Slark Engineering for them to do the final adjustments - better be safe than sorry...

#13 CH007

CH007

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

The state of play now is there is some mods needed now the engines back in the car, but nothing I can't sort out.

I'm going to run th engine in the state of tune it was before I took the engine out. Run it in for 500 miles, then fit the Megajolt system, run this for 100ish miles, then fit the new head and charger etc, drive it around the block, then onto a trailer to Slark Engineering for them to do the final adjustments - better be safe than sorry...

Very nice work Graham,

I have just posted a thread up asking if anyone has done it all themselves and appears you have done the lot. Do you work in food industry as I recognise those dairy elbows :P That's given me a some great ideas. I don't have an AC tig set but may end up getting one now looking at that alloy work.

Was the supercharger an Eaton M45?

#14 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Very nice work Graham,

I have just posted a thread up asking if anyone has done it all themselves and appears you have done the lot. Do you work in food industry as I recognise those dairy elbows >_< That's given me a some great ideas. I don't have an AC tig set but may end up getting one now looking at that alloy work.

Good eye sight, yes they are elbows from the food industry, I purged all the welded too. I bought a few, thinking I may makes some inlet manifold's at some point if the demand was there. I work for an aerospace company in the life support division.

Yes the supercharger is an Easton M45 with black rotors

Edited by Grahamxx, 10 April 2010 - 03:41 PM.

#15 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

Very nice work Graham,

I have just posted a thread up asking if anyone has done it all themselves and appears you have done the lot. Do you work in food industry as I recognise those dairy elbows >_< That's given me a some great ideas. I don't have an AC tig set but may end up getting one now looking at that alloy work.

Good eye sight, yes they are elbows from the food industry, I bought a few, thinking I may makes some inlet manifold's at some point if the demand was there. All welds are purged. Everything you see is made in my garage.

I work for an aerospace company in the life support division.

Yes the supercharger is an Easton M45 with black rotors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users