Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

Must be a typo, 10 litres is just over 2 gallons, thats nearer 100 mpg.
How's the oil pressure/head gasket issue going?

Well spotted, should have read 21 litres. The oil pressure is now adjusted and I've finally settled at 60psi hot and its no problem. No leaks from the gasket. I'm still amazed at how quiet it is now I've replaced the square cut drops for the helicals and added the second silencer in the centre pipe. I'm now thinking about fitting a radio.

#7082 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Well spotted, should have read 21 litres. The oil pressure is now adjusted and I've finally settled at 60psi hot and its no problem. No leaks from the gasket. I'm still amazed at how quiet it is now I've replaced the square cut drops for the helicals and added the second silencer in the centre pipe. I'm now thinking about fitting a radio.

Good to hear that you've sorted the oil leak/head gasket issue.
I know where you're coming from regarding the straight cut drops, I love the straight cut whine and wouldn't change mine but the noise when cruising at 65/70 mph plus is intolerable with no carpets and without ear plugs.
Mine seems noisier now I've replaced the 1:1 drops with 1.09:1 ratio to drop the 3.44:1 fd to 3.76:1, I guess it's down to a different depth of mesh of the gears. I did this to give a slightly shorter 1st gear using the sccr gearset but at the cost of a fd giving 15mph/1000 rpm in top.
It was pretty grim driving it round the m25 and m11 to get it on Peter Baldwins rolling road.
I genuinely thought I'd melted a hole in the exhaust manifold when I took the ear plugs out.
Fortunately I rarely need to drive it on motorways.

#7083 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

I know where you're coming from regarding the straight cut drops, I love the straight cut whine and wouldn't change mine but the noise when cruising at 65/70 mph plus is intolerable with no carpets and without ear plugs.
Mine seems noisier now I've replaced the 1:1 drops with 1.09:1 ratio to drop the 3.44:1 fd to 3.76:1, I guess it's down to a different depth of mesh of the gears. I did this to give a slightly shorter 1st gear using the sccr gearset but at the cost of a fd giving 15mph/1000 rpm in top.
It was pretty grim driving it round the m25 and m11 to get it on Peter Baldwins rolling road.
I genuinely thought I'd melted a hole in the exhaust manifold when I took the ear plugs out.
I like the sound of the straight cut drops, especially if they're in someone else's Mini. I didn't fully realise how much it was putting me off going for a long run in mine until I removed them.

#7084 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

Dug out the old spot lamp bar that was fitted when I bought the car 20 odd years ago. I took it off about ten years ago when one of the fog lamps got smashed with a stone and the other three lamps were looking very tired. I think I might be able to salvage the two spots but the reflector on the intact fog is goosed - the chrome bar itself cleaned up like new :D  

#7085 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

I like the sound of the straight cut drops, especially if they're in someone else's Mini. I didn't fully realise how much it was putting me off going for a long run in mine until I removed them.

Ditto. Drove a mate's turbo mini with SC drops and gearbox, wanted to get out within 10 minutes of setting off.

#7086 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

My pre cut brake pipes arrived last night, so spent an evening attempting to straighten them. Gave up, but found a tip from a friend - cut a 5mm hole in a piece of 2x4, cut it in half, put the pipe inside and then in a vice. Run the pipe back and forth and apparently it straightens the cupranickle!

#7087 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Made a dashboard for mine to accomodate a full DIN/double DIN headunit :)

Needs a bit of trimming, but the trial fit I did yesterday - am very happy with....

Will be tackling the rear shelf to accomodate some better speakers, might even install a pair of 6x9's Iv had knocking about for a while...

Just got my insurance renewal through too, very happy with the price - its half what I paid last year.....

#7088 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

Took delivery of this bad boy

Sport Spec head from CalverST, comparable to 'stage 3' and 'road rocket'

22713324_1759946637410376_37687856131065

#7089 Purplemini1972

Purplemini1972

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local Club: Vancouver Mini Club

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:59 AM

First oil change as a new Mini owner!!! That was easy.

Did a LED headlamp upgrade as well...I can see!!!

#7090 dyte2004

dyte2004

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local Club: breizh mini

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Diff output seals,gear rod seals ,chest cover seals,carb gaskets,manifold gasket,rocker cover seal,steering rack boots,ball joints,track rod ends,cleans engine bay and finally snapped oil filter housing 😐

#7091 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

I've been fitting a new A-panel, and discovered it is not quite as easy as some of the experts in the rebuild threads make it look.

If anyone remembers Karate kid and "Wax on, Wax off, breathe through the nose, wax on, wax off..... repeat..."

Today I was  "Door off, door on, <expletive> breathe heavy through teeth, door off, door on, <expletive> breathe heavy through teeth

..... repeat...."

Nearly there...

Edited by DeanP, 27 October 2017 - 06:41 PM.

#7092 mailman

mailman

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

Attached File  IMG_20171028_154725.jpg   49.62K   0 downloads

I made a start at painting my engine. It came out well and I'm pretty pleased with it. I can't wait for my cylinder head and transfer case to be ready so I can so them too. Hopefully they come out just as well!

#7093 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

Dropped some old tired Recaro seats off at a friends to have them re-covered, can't wait to see how they come out.

#7094 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:15 AM

On a recently purchased mini, I tried to locate a coolant leak.  Had zero luck finding it, but also found torn steering boots (L & R), loads of disconnected connectors (apparently no longer used), oil leak coming from what appears to be time chain area and more.... looks like I have more work ahead of me than expected.  Of course only in Texas can you experience two seasons in the same day..  0 degrees C in the morning and 23 in the afternoon.. 

Attached Files

#7095 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

First oil change as a new Mini owner!!! That was easy.

Did a LED headlamp upgrade as well...I can see!!!

Which headlamps did you fit?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users