9461 replies to this topic

#7741 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:31 PM

Taken my MPi JCW out with the newly installed Kent MD274 cam. My goodness, it's transformed the car! She was dead below 2500rpm; now there's loads more low down grunt.

I keep spinning the wheels up.
By accident.
Honest.

#7742 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:34 PM

More cleaning of the engine bay & painting of the head around the thermostat housing.
Attempted to unscrew the rusted right hand bulk head plate..... more plus gas needed!

#7743 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

Wiring loom almost in, headlights finally fitted.

Updated photo's in link

https://photos.app.g...sRUSzHFpKVjNef9

#7744 paul50

paul50

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:33 PM

Changed the clutch master cylinder. Was ready to have a **** day but 1and half hours job done. The pin is very easy to remove and replace if you put double sided sticky tape on your finger. I used mamouth tape. One of the easy job to do on a mini

#7745 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:38 PM

if you put double sided sticky tape on your finger. 

Great advice, might use this myself when doing other jobs. Having a pebble driveway it's a pain hunting around for a dropped nut, bolt or pin!

#7746 need4speed

need4speed

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:15 PM

Fitted the HiLo kit - best thing since sliced bread! Question... what are those two plastic plugs that come with the rear struts for?

The car is about to hit the road for the first time in ten years!

Edited by need4speed, 04 November 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#7747 jonnyfawr

jonnyfawr

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Changed the clutch master cylinder. Was ready to have a **** day but 1and half hours job done. The pin is very easy to remove and replace if you put double sided sticky tape on your finger. I used mamouth tape. One of the easy job to do on a mini

similar job today.. Clutch is F***d...Decided to replace the slave cylinder and the push arm (Verto). After spending about an hour getting the lower split pin out, the clevis pin is stuck, WD40 overnight, try again tomorrow !

#7748 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:58 PM

Today I have been mostly grinding (welds on the car)

#7749 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:53 PM

I had a total ignition failure today after about 10 years of daily driving with Powerspark electronic ignition.

As usual it was on road without street lights so I replaced the distributor with a spare points one I always carry in the boot.

Unfortunately i wasn`t clever enough to have left a torch in the boot so I used the torch function on my mobile that lasted a couple of minuted before the battery went flat so most of it was done in darkness with the occasional firework giving a glimmer of light.

Its my first breakdown in 14 years of daily abuse and I will be fitting another powerspark kit as well as remembering to carry a torch.

It does hammer it home that there are no warning signs with electronic ignition, it just stops dead but a dodgy points and condenser gives you a bit of a warning so you can limp to suitable parking spot and 9 times out of 10 once a condenser has cooled off it will get you going again.

#7750 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

I had a total ignition failure today after about 10 years of daily driving with Powerspark electronic ignition.

As usual it was on road without street lights so I replaced the distributor with a spare points one I always carry in the boot.

Unfortunately i wasn`t clever enough to have left a torch in the boot so I used the torch function on my mobile that lasted a couple of minuted before the battery went flat so most of it was done in darkness with the occasional firework giving a glimmer of light.

Its my first breakdown in 14 years of daily abuse and I will be fitting another powerspark kit as well as remembering to carry a torch.

It does hammer it home that there are no warning signs with electronic ignition, it just stops dead but a dodgy points and condenser gives you a bit of a warning so you can limp to suitable parking spot and 9 times out of 10 once a condenser has cooled off it will get you going again.

After debating in my head for months whether or not to fit one of those kits, that's exactly why I've kept the old system and just refreshed it. The car starts/runs just fine with them and it's no bother swapping them every few thousand miles if you have a strobe. 

#7751 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

After debating in my head for months whether or not to fit one of those kits, that's exactly why I've kept the old system and just refreshed it. The car starts/runs just fine with them and it's no bother swapping them every few thousand miles if you have a strobe. 

Being a slightly abused daily driver that is used all year round with little to no maintenance it has been nice not to have removed the dizzy cap for 10 years and as the electronic kit improved the overall running of the car it seems worth the risk of adding technology. For the price its worth buying 2 and leaving one in the boot.

I totally get why you would opt to keep points if the car runs fine as it is and doesn`t cover great mileages, mine on the other hand was not a great starter and was fussy with fuel grades which greatly improved after fitting the kit.  The free play in the dizzy shaft was my issue as the dwell was all over the place and 13 quid on an electronic kit solved the problem quickly and cheaply. 

If mine was a good runner to start with I would have kept the points.  

#7752 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:44 PM

Decided to go back to a side mount radiator setup, can’t get a big enough electric fan in the space available to keep the engine cool, and it ain’t even summer yet!
Will go 2 core super cool alloy with 10” fan, 1400cfm....... let’s see that try and get hot ?

#7753 SE10 Mini

SE10 Mini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:11 PM

Taken my MPi JCW out with the newly installed Kent MD274 cam. My goodness, it's transformed the car! She was dead below 2500rpm; now there's loads more low down grunt.

I keep spinning the wheels up.
By accident.
Honest.

Wiggy,

Whats the spec of your engine now?

Looking at doing some works to mine and love the idea of the Kent cam but wondered what else you have done.

Cheers

Ed

#7754 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

I have the JCW kit, and a 3.1 or 3.2 final drive. (I forget).

The standard 2.7 final drive was quite nice actually, but it really hurt the acceleration and you had to drive it quite hard to get anywhere. I felt you had to rev it too much and slip the clutch just to pull out of a junction. I.E No torque.

Once I switched that she was perkier but still flat below 2.5k.

The 274 Cam has really woken the car up.

The original cam was not worn at all so it wasn't that affecting the power delivery.

by the way, I've never driven a non JCW MPi to compare.

#7755 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:23 AM

I have the JCW kit, and a 3.1 or 3.2 final drive. (I forget).

The standard 2.7 final drive was quite nice actually, but it really hurt the acceleration and you had to drive it quite hard to get anywhere. I felt you had to rev it too much and slip the clutch just to pull out of a junction. I.E No torque.

Once I switched that she was perkier but still flat below 2.5k.

The 274 Cam has really woken the car up.

The original cam was not worn at all so it wasn't that affecting the power delivery.

by the way, I've never driven a non JCW MPi to compare.

Is that the Minisport JCW kit? There's no cam included so have you added a cam as well?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users