8 replies to this topic

#1 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:30 AM

Now this is a question for Guessworks really, he will know the answer or maybe other people will.

I recently brought a gearbox off john and its great.

However about once ever 30 changes when trying to get it in first or second it feels like im trying to push it into the metal between the gear selector areas (seperates 1 from 3 etc). However by re-clutching it seems to let me change gears somtimes, others i need to put it into third then first.

At times too second clunks into gear. This is making me think that its not the box but the selector.

Im wanting to know if there is anyway of checking if the gear linkage is warn or if there is ajusment on the gear linkage which is supposed to be there.

Thanks in advance.

Jackman

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

Does the clutch pedal feel different if you pump it? It could be a problem with the hydraulic side of things? Maybe a bit of air in the system?

It sounds more like a clutch problem than a gearbox problem to me???

#3 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:11 AM

Well ill check the clutch, it is alot lighter than it used to be, its very easy to push down and with the old engine it took alot of effort, i just thought it was because it was clean so the springs where better.

Any other ideas, if i get a list together ill check it over when ive done work in my room... it kinda flooded last night, radiator leaked :lol:

#4 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: skylineowners.com, turbominis

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

Have you got a short shift/quick shift gear stick, on mine the H section didnt line up. i had to put it in 4th before 3rd and, 2nd before 1st :lol:

also like mmm said bleed the old oil out so its all new oil in the system

i hope this solves it because if it doesnt its not good :nugget: :fear:

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

I was told a couple of months back about an issue which sometimes affects the box, never experienced myself, but sounds like what you are experiencing is fairly close... best described as baulking... where for some inexplicable reason the synchro hub will not engage the gear, and is only solved buy either double de-clutching.... or replacing the entire box ( which I will do )

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

Jackman, are you stationary when this is occuring ?

Silvermini, may be an idea to start your own thread... So I have done so for you... here

#7 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

Yes i am stationary at times, other times its when im slowing down ill go from third to second, try to go into first and cant, try go back to second and cant.

Also the clunk is going from first to second. Not had it from third to second, well not that i can re-call anyway.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

There's no adjustments in the selector, the actual selector mechanism is all inside the box. The bit on the outside really is just a rod which waggles it all about. Brett, sounds to me like you were trying to change gear too early! The Mini gearbox design is quite old with not much synchro surface compared to modern boxes. You can't just jump down from fourth to first at the wrong speed as it won't be able to synchronise itself in the time it takes to slide the synchro along the speed gear cone if its changing the speed by a lot and it'll just lock up the selector. A quick shift will obviously make this effect more pronounced.

#9 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: skylineowners.com, turbominis

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:27 PM

You can't just jump down from fourth to first at the wrong speed as it won't be able to synchronise itself in the time it takes to slide the synchro along the speed gear cone if its changing the speed by a lot and it'll just lock up the selector.

i should have said more clearly, i was thinking mainly at junctions and lights where i pull up in 3rd (dipping the clutch rolling to a stop) then selecting 1st to set of again, it wouldnt engage 1st without going in to 2nd first

and also going up through the gears, 2nd to 3rd didnt happen without 4th then 3rd, figured it out in the end tho :cool:

i have only gone from 4th to 1st once i meant to get 3rd :nugget:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users