#1 ashmonkey

ashmonkey

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

hi guys

i have seen a few people who have had there numberplates done on their bonnets are thease legal ???

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

No, for various reasons.

#3 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

im sure there are several threads on here outlining why they arent legal.

#4 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

there is nothing in the law to stipulate were a numberplate can be mounted, i had to do some research about it for my work landrover as we were having a winch fitted so weve mounted it on the roofrack.

the only things it says is that the number plate most be forward facing and be visable anywere from the front, and that it has to be reflective.

so if you can find a place that sells sticky reflective ones then i cant see any problem with it

YetI

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

The number plate must also be vertical, flat, and made from reflective material of the correct type. These things make a bonnet mounted plate illegal as has already been said on this thread and countless others. Please don't contradict good advice with your personal opinion of the law, it makes it very confusing for the OP. Whether you can see a problem with it is irrelevant to the question. The DVLA clearly state that they know of no manufacturer of self adhesive numberplates which comply with the British Standard and they state in no uncertain terms that the plates are illegal.

#6 furiousjim

furiousjim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Just out of interest, what is the punishment? Or is it one of those things where they can be severe or lenient?

#7 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Just out of interest, what is the punishment? Or is it one of those things where they can be severe or lenient?

they can issue a warning and tell you to get a legal plate within around 14 days or so not sure and show proof at local station.
get caught again, usually you can get some points and/or a fine

but i assume it could also depend on police discretion

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Although they can issue a defect rectification notice if they want, they usually don't because nobody accidentally fits an illegal number plate. It's not something that's worn out and you just haven't noticed, it's something you did on purpose. If they do prosecute, £60.00 per violation is the minimum currently I believe, it's a fixed penalty ticket issued at the roadside if you accept liability. By per violation it means a fine for each thing that is out of specification with each plate. So if you have a stick on plate on the bonnet, it's not vertical, it's not flat and it's not the right material, It also won't have a BS marking on it so that's 4 violations. That means that a really nasty copper could give you £240.00 for just the front number plate if he chose to. This never happens though, you would normally just get one fine. Although sometimes they give you a fine for each plate if they are both dodgy. If you choose not to pay and decide to go to court, you are almost guaranteed to loose because it's pretty much black and white whether the plate is legal or not. The maximum penalty is a £1000.00 fine, some points, and removal of the registration mark. You would then have to pay to get your car re-registered and if the car has been modified it's likely to end up on a Q plate.

#9 ashmonkey

ashmonkey

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:56 AM

ok that has cleared that one up for me ill be keeping it in mind for shows but not for road use thanks guys

#10 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

the dvla state that it has to be as close to vertical as possible

"A registration plate must be fixed on the vehicle in a vertical position or, where that is not possible, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable"

i have done my research as i said before

#11 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

I'm afraid that Dan is correct.

Have a look at this page from the DVLA, that should clear things up.

http://www.direct.go...lates/DG_181503

#12 villa3

villa3

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: West Sussex mini club

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

So all E type jags are illegal,many 60s rally cars had them on,surely if you have a 60s mini they should be ok?

Edited by villa3, 12 December 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#13 Pending

Pending

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

So all E type jags are illegal,many 60s rally cars had them on,surely if you have a 60s mini they should be ok?

was going to say the same, whats the law for black and silver plates

#14 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Vehicles before Feb? 1973 can have them , later you cant. End of.

#15 Pending

Pending

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Vehicles before Feb? 1973 can have them , later you cant. End of.

lol, didnt mean that. i meant pre 73 with black and silver plates stuck to bonnet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users