#46 tommy boy

tommy boy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Just a little story about BS numbers that happened to me.
Was pulled over by a bobby (didn`t let him out of a side road I think). He said my rear plate was illegal because it did not show a BS number. I asked him to clarify what he meant by this and said we should look at his police car as an example. Strolling round the back of said car, he was somewhat embarressed by the lack of BS number. Same on the front too. I asked if it would be ok if I could go now and walked away.

I also had a bike where the letters and numbers had been messed about with to read somthing else. (you know the sort of thing I mean)
Yes, I caught a £60 fine and a nasty letter from DVLA telling me not to do it again, or lose the plate.
But the copper said he was impressed with the mod and the only reason he pulled me, was that it didn`t ping up on the plate reading gissmo in the patrol car. If it had, he would have left it.

Just shows that yes it`s the law, but it`s down to the bobby on the street to enforce it. If the rest of the motor looks fine and you ain`t driving it like a prat, then the law tends to leave you be.
My opinion.

#47 1380roadmini

1380roadmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

as above the law tend to take all the factors in before pulling you over just for the number plate. if your driving like a dick and lots of faults or breaking the law then i guess your in trouble. if not then should be fine. but depends on the copper i guess

#48 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

This car has been like this since 1994 and never had any problems. The black background is painted on.
Posted Image

#49 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

but wouldn't a 64 mini have been made before 1973 ? so has to comply with the earlier rules

#50 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

Ok so i did this on my 1989 mini, it wasnt reflective. just white
and i nor dide my mate who has the same thing, did not get pulled, now-a-days you will only get pulled for checks or you have done some thing wrong, dont give them a reason and you should be ok BUT obviously there is that chance that they will tell you its a NO take if off, (unless you comply with the 1973 act of course)

one question, my clubman is 1972, but you cant really mount it vertically on the bonnet, so would this still comply with regulations?

hmmm...

#51 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

On a roundnose if you get one made with legal lettering with the correct reflective backing and stick it as low as you can on the bonnet, it'll be pretty close to vertical anyway.

#52 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

im gonna do it because it looks cool! razzers can pull me over as much as they like it aint comin off!

I hear you brother

#53 daddy2coull

daddy2coull

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

wow, this is just like the little plate arguments on every single bike forum that i'm on

#54 Jakeclubby

Jakeclubby

Previously known as Jakemayfair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

im gonna do it because it looks cool! razzers can pull me over as much as they like it aint comin off!

LOVE THIS :D

#55 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

does that mean you will visit him when he's locked up ?

#56 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

my 67 cooper has always had its plate like this with no issues at all except compliments from the fuzz : )

#57 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Gotta say am loving this thread......av a clubman front......am rrrrrrrrrreally tempted to JUST DO IT and get it out of my system.....

#58 liamharries

liamharries

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Gloucestershire Mini Owners

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Just a little story about BS numbers that happened to me.
Was pulled over by a bobby (didn`t let him out of a side road I think). He said my rear plate was illegal because it did not show a BS number. I asked him to clarify what he meant by this and said we should look at his police car as an example. Strolling round the back of said car, he was somewhat embarressed by the lack of BS number. Same on the front too. I asked if it would be ok if I could go now and walked away.

HAHA this is epic! bet he felt like a right pleb :D

surely if you get a sump guard that fits over where a proper plate fits then it has to go on the bonnet because its the next most verticle place it could be fitted so as long as its the right font, colour and size surely theres nothing they can say about it because theres nothing you could do to make it comply more.

#59 jmmini

jmmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

Although this isn't my car, I do know the owner and he's never had issues although its starting to fade now

Attached Files

#60 scotty_18

scotty_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Local Club: LMSOC

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Just out of interest, would it be okay for me to have a black and silver bonnet number plate on my car along with a normal plate. I know you're probably thinking why... It's just for when I go to shows and stuff I can take the normal one off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users